Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st week of December - Mayrhofen, Ischgl (or Saalbach)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a free week between 30/11 and 7/12 so seems an ideal chance to start this year's season early. I am flying to Munich, but here's the question: where next?

I am going to hire a car, so I can go just about anywhere in East Austria. But if possible I wouldn't want to do unnecessary travel. So I think my first choice would be Mayrhofen. They state on their website opening day is 30th Nov. Does anyone have any experience of going there that early. Do they tend to open on that day (and stay open throughout the working week)? Would they open all runs or, even if there is enough snow, constrict it to a few?

Now another choice would be Ischgl. With its higher altitude obviously it will be more snow sure. But isn't it going to be too crowded on the opening week (given the effort they put to kick off new season)? And, similarly to Mayrhofen, are they going to open all (almost all) runs?

I can see Saalbach advertises opening on 29th Nov but given their altitude (low base below 1000m) that would be just pushing it too much, wouldn't it? I cannot see them realistically having most of runs open that early. Or would they?

And when would be a cut-off date for booking accommodation? Early November, late November?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wyspa, You can leave it until the last minute to book and just go where there is snow. All opening dates on all resort websites are provisional, regardless of altitude or country.

Mayrhofen has the back-up of the Hintertux glacier. Zell am See has the back-up option of the glacier at Kaprun. Saalbach has spent millions on snow-making, so if it is cold enough, there will be snow on 90% of the runs. Sometimes Saalbach has been open by mid-November (well, the north-facing slopes in Hinterglemm have) - other years the opening is not until the second weekend of December. All depends on the weather and temperature and less on the altitude.

Wherever you choose, the weekend will be fairly busy, but mid-week will be quiet and some lifts may not be open. You should easily be able to pick up a room in a B&B just by walking up or contacting the Tourist Offices.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They normally operate a restricted number of lifts up until it gets busy at Christmas. Still plenty to keep you occupied though. I think last year mayrhofen opened later than that, however you have got hintertux as your back up. Accomodation wise you should be fine to leave to the last minute.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl won't be very busy. Sure there's an opening season concert but all things are relative. Its still low season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's quite unlikely any of them will be fully open at that time. Not because of a lack of snow, just because there won't be enough skiers for it to be financially viable to run all the lifts.

I don't know Mayrhofen, but it's hard to beat Ischgl for early season reliability. Judging by their facebook they've already started grooming some of last week's snow.

I haven't been to Saalbach that early (earliest was the week before Christmas IIRC, and they were fully open), but they have huge snowmaking capacity. As above unlikely to be fully open first week of Dec, but there should be plenty of skiing. Depending on weather/natural snow/temps pistes back into the village may (or may well not!) be more limited than Ischgl. The area doesn't usually struggle for snow. Don't think you can ski at all into Mayrhofen village though btw.

At that time of year you can probably book accommodation the week before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all hints.
I think I'll do Ischgl in that case. With Saturdays in Mayrhofen or Stubai when on my way to/from Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I can see Saalbach advertises opening on 29th Nov but given their altitude (low base below 1000m)

Saalbach village is apparently at 1,003 meters (don't forget the extra three!), and, as far as I'm aware, the only part of the 200 km pisted ski area which is lower than that are the two runs down to Jausern and the Viehhofen run, two of which tend to be closed in adverse conditions, which really doesn't have a significant impact - a drop in the ocean!
Conditions in early December will be anybody's guess - depends on whether the snow arrives early or late (and whether what has already fallen remains!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl really would and is my choice. Resort opens 28th. nickleback concert in the evening of 30th so not sure what the accommodation situation is, although I didn't have any problem booking one last week seemed like there was still room.
Although only about 80 - 90 % is open for the first couple of weeks, the area is big enough to support a full week with ease.despite the village appearing relatively low for an early season resot (about 1350m, I think) the skiing is much higher starting at around 2200m so snow is usually plentiful in the first week. The runs back to the village are open all season from day one. Blush
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This was Mayrhofen on 14th December 2006 , pretty empty and not to many lifts open.

http://youtube.com/v/EgiH1daNgHU
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy