Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Rab jacket for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm heading out to Morzine for a ski season, working as a chalet host with my partner. I've bought myself a really warm Helly Hansen Atlas jacket (on their website, reduced from 400 to 200!).

Now i like the jacket, but i think i might be needing a slightly less bulky jacket for warmer days as i'll be there from Dec through to Easter.

From a bit of research i've come across Rab - they seem to be really highly rated and i love their style and basically just really want one - i'm thinking a softshell?

So the question is, which rab jacket will be great to ski in? They have quite a large range and i just want to make sure i get the right one. It has to keep me a bit warm but also have lots of breath-ability. Money wise i'm looking to spend -£200.

Thanks for your help! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't really matter what exact jacket you get- sorry. Me and the wife are Patagoniacs but almost always get jackets in sales. This is the best way to get anything really. I think you need layers- I rarely ski in more than a base layer and hardshell but take a fleece (and if necessary a down vest) as well as a hat / toc/buff.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Ed. I've looked at Patagonia but haven't had the chance to see one in shops yet. There seems to be a few websites offering small sales at the moment. I agree with your point about layers also.

I should probably add that i'd like this jacket to be versatile, as i like to go hiking and moutain climbing, hence why i like the look of Rab. So far i'm looking at the Exodus, REVOLVER and SCIMITAR jacket - would these be good bets?

Any other opinions on jackets that keep you warm and are relatively light weight would be great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I'm going for the exodus, it has the right combination of breathability and protection for me. It also fits nicely and compliments my lime green salopettes Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb, Hi, have you actually bought the Exodus yet, like the look of it but had a few questions. Many thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've tried it on twice.... Love the feel and look, but I'm popping down to cotswold outdoors to try on a selection of what they have, will make my decision after that on whether to buy it.

What questions did you have?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tomb, I have a real problem with high collars - must be some childhood nightmare I had or something Very Happy

I like to be able to 'scrunch' the collars down a bit, with my Patagonia hard shell the collar covers nearly 2/3 of my face which I really hate, I want to be able to cover my face like that if it is really cold but on warmer days I hate it. I'm well into layering and have recently been to the US so have all sorts of layers that will allow me now to use a soft shell. Unfortunately where I was no ski wear was really in stock otherwise I would have snapped up a jacket!

Also how low does the hem sit, is it kinda belt level(ish) - which I prefer - or does it sit lower?

Many thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swishtony, the collar is very high (as with most rab jackets) but I found it very easy to scrunch under my chin. Also after visiting cotswolds I've decided to buy the exodus..... So I could give you a far better answer in a few days when I actually buy it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomb, Thanks again, I did Google some pics and it does appear, as you say, that the collar is not too stiff to scrunch down. Just seen there is a Cotswolds not too far from me so will take a drive up there tomorrow see if they have any in stock.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I tried the Exodus on today in the red colour, really love the jacket, the collar tucks nicely under the chin if desired due to its soft shell nature. Super comfy as well! One possible downside.... perhaps.... the store staff seemed a little unsure about the weatherprofness (new word?) of it compared to a jacket with a membrane like the Baltoro which was also a great looking (and feeling jacket). Was also told the Baltoro was way more breathable but it did lack pit zips which I felt was a minus. Also the lack of a sleeve pocket on the Baltoro was also a problem for me, the more I think about it the more I think that keeping a ski pass in a side pocket might be a problem. Any thoughts on the pocket?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The jacket I've used for the last 2 seasons didn't have a sleeve pass pocket - I just kept my passes in a chest pocket. Never had a single issue (and that's over 40 days last season)

I just pulled out my softshell today for a quick walk to the gym in the rain, and found my Verbier ski pass from July in the pocket (normal pocket, not chest pocket) and can't recall that having been an issue either.

having said that, I just took a nosy at both jackets - both look great, but I'd go for the pit-zip option personally, so much more flexible in changeable weather/temps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swishtony, i see the air permeability ratings on the Rab website are Exodus 3-5 CFM, whilst the baltoro is 2-12 CFM..... im not sure whether this rating has a direct effect on breathability or not?!?

Me personally, i am looking for a non-membrane jacket as i was led to believe these were the most breathable... Also i was looking for a jacket with no insulation, which the baltoro seems to have.

I also tried on the schimitar yesterday, which again felt like a fantastic jacket.... i'm now feeling more confused about which jacket to buy Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fixx, Cheers fixx, yes chest pocket probably fine but as the jacket only has normal pockets wonder if there could be a problem. Mind you if it worked for you hopefully not an issue. Would hate to ignore a possible jacket for something that might not even be an issue! Yep... the pit zips are defo appealing as well.

tomb, Can't find those ratings.... where did you find them? I think the sales guy actually created more confusion, he was constantly telling me the Baltoro was may more breathable (hence not needing pit zips), I went and had a coffee, came back 15 minutes later then he told me he thought the Exodus was actually more breathable. At that stage I wasn't sure whether to believe anything else he had told me! Also tried a Scimitar which I agree also feels like a great jacket. I might have to try and find a number for Rab and call them tomorrow, if I get anything useful will report back here! Ditto on the confused status..... the pocket thing is bugging me though, that might be the final factor in my decision as I feel they are all going to be brilliant jackets!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swishtony, on the official Rab website, under the 'fabrics' tab of which ever jacket you are looking at..... although after some more reading i've discovered that breathability and air permeability are not directly linked. Breathability is actually a measure of the capacity of the fabric to transfer water vapor (sweat) from the inside to the outside .... Where as air permeability (the CFM rating) refers to the wind resistance of a fabric.

I've also mailed Rab to see if they could give me some more info on the breathability of the softshell range.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski pass in chest pocket: Have done it loads and has never been a problem.

Stretch woven softshell: Completely snow proof. More breathable than a jacket with a membrane. Lets some wind in, so not as warm as a jacket with a membrane.

Stretch woven softshell in the rain: Not great, but if you think carefully about the layers you wear under it (Marmot Driclime and / or Polartec Thermal Pro and / or Rab Vapour Rise) it can work.

Rab: Have you looked at the Rab Vapour Rise Guide? If layered over Marmot Driclime (or Rab Vapour Rise) it has better weather proofing than a membrane soft shell, and comparable breathability to a stretch woven softshell.

Disclaimer: I haven't used Rab's gear, so the above opinions are based on similar fabrics made by other manufacturers.
ski holidays
Oceanic, Not sure i understand the logic behind layering a vapour rise under a vapour rise guide? are they essentially not the same jacket, only with one being slightly more insulated? Puzzled

Also, if conditions are that bad I can always pop on my goretex pro jacket.... so not worried about the rain/wind resistance.
snow conditions
Bit more explanation about the weather proofness of the Vapour Rise Guide jacket...

If layered over a Marmot Driclime / Rab Vapour Rise shirt you have two windproof layers protecting your skin, but neither layer is waterproof. Both layers are so fast drying however that you body heat can be drying the fabric that is in contact with your skin even if it is raining onto the outside of the fabric. This works best if you wear the vapour rise under shirt next to your skin, but you can get away with wearing a thin synthetic thermal.

Layering a stretch woven softshell over a Polartec Thermal Pro fleece and a Marmot Driclime shirt can work in a similar way to the Vapour Rise Guide, but not quite as well as the stretch woven fabric doesn't allow the under layers to dry as effectively as the Pertex fabric on the Vapour Rise Guide jacket.

Membrane softshell is entirely different and works as a true weatherproof shell. Membrane softshell is basically a waterproof (AKA hardshell) jacket hidden inside a flexible and hard wearing softshell fabric.
ski holidays
Oceanic, thanks for the info.... so the vapour rise combo essentially works in the same fashion as a buffalo jacket system??

Also does the vapour rise work well with a thin merino base layer?
ski holidays
Yes, kind of a smarter but not quite as effective Buffalo.

I've got a very thin merino base layer (from Decathlon) which to my surprise seems to dry as quickly as a synthetic base layer, but on the whole I think that synthetic base layers work best under Driclime / Vapour Rise stuff.

If you're not worried about rain (only snow) then I have to admit that the stretch woven stuff looks smarter than Vapour Rise...

then again the Rab hard shells look pretty smart, and if you're not ski touring then I can't see the advantage of a soft shell over a hard shell.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 20-10-13 21:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oceanic, again thanks for the info... the reason ive been in the market for a good breathable softshell is because i have a tendency to servery overheat in my hardshell!
snow report
Arghhhh! A bit more confusion to throw into the mix now Puzzled Puzzled

Just kidding Oceanic! Thanks for all the info, some of it has gone waaaay over my head though, I need to read up on some of the base layers you've talked about now!
ski holidays
swishtony, http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1 and http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world and http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_art_of_not_suffering
ski holidays
tomb, thanks for the links... it's complicated in the world of layering and shells eh?!
snow conditions
tomb, just spoke to a guy at Rab design team, he is going to find out some info for me and email me later, if anything exciting will let you know. In the meantime though.... he suggested I have a good look at the Stretch Neo Jackets, have you checked these out? He said the new material was close to a soft shell, not quite as soft but close to it. Here's a link about the material they use for this jacket:

http://rab.uk.com/reference/technology/waterproof-shell/polartec-neoshell.html

Reviews I have read say the breathability is fantastic
latest report
The stretch Neo is AMAZING stuff, I was so tempted by one of those when I was looking for a nice hard shell, really comfy, amazing breath-ability and wind-proof.
snow report
Pete_Berks, cheers. Would you say it is fairly soft for a hard shell? I'm quite keen to get one but struggling to find any shops stocking my size. Might have to take a gamble and order one online. I love the look of it just worried it might be a bit too hard shell for my liking. I want a jacket where I can scrunch the collar under my chin in warmer conditions! Fussy aren't I?!
snow report
swishtony, I would definitely say its very soft for a hard shell. My local Cotsworlds Outdoor stocks a Rab jacket with the Stretch Neo material, I was just too tight to buy one. It should do the job and I am sure its designed to layer. The other option is something from Rab that uses high end event material as that breathes better than goretex in my opinion.
snow conditions
Well I have bitten the bullet and ordered one up online with EB as not many stores stock the XXL. They are happy for me to return it to their London store if it's not what I'm after. I am going to Covent Garden this Saturday for a mooch about so if no good will take it back then. Will report back on how I find the Stretch Neo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Popped back on this forum and quite a few have replied since! I'm glad this thread has been useful for others too.

I decided to go completely against my original choice of Rab and bought the Patagonia Men's Adze Hoody in purple http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/product/mens-adze-fleece-hoody?p=83340-0 - it just arrived today and it's actually just what i was looking for and i have to say it's a very nice jacket.

I too looked at the Exodus Rab jacket but the shop only had a black one and i was slightly put off by the high collar (I'm fussy!). I'm sure i'll buy a Rab in the future Toofy Grin
latest report
lukebd, looks like a nice jacket!

Its the high collar that attracts me to the exodus Toofy Grin

Funny how tastes differs eh?...
ski holidays
Actually thinking about it i really like the high collar design which is seen on nearly all the Rab jackets - that was what first drew me to them. I just wasn't sure about the way it 'fell' when the hood is down (if that makes sense, i sound even more fussy now!). It is a great jacket though no doubt.
ski holidays
lukebd, love the Patagonia stuff, I've never owned a bad item by them.

tomb, lukebd, The collar is quite high on the Exodus but it is such soft material I found it easy to shove under my chin and out of the way if need be.

My Stretch Neo should arrive tomorrow.... will let you know how it is
snow report
Also consider Montane Sabretooth. I use mine for climbing, mountain biking, spring skiing, pubbing and walking the dog.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/soft-shell-and-fleece/sabretooth-jacket
snow conditions
justatheory, thanks for that, looks great. Off to London tomorrow so will have a good look about, do you know which ski shops sell their stuff?

The Stretch Neo (Rab) turned up and although I like the jacket itself the collar is another real problem! Way too stiff and again 'in your face' - there is no shifting it out of the way when you want to get some bigger breaths etc.

Off to the shops tomorrow then.... I'm sure I will find something!
snow conditions
lukebd, is the hood on the jacket you got def ski helmet compatible? Thanks
snow conditions
Got my exodus tonight and love it!!!

The collar is fine.... its flexible/soft enough to go under my chin yet its also big enough to pull up over my face if the weather turns nasty! Toofy Grin
latest report
tomb, Yep, my thoughts precisely, as you say the collar is perfect, in yer face if need be, but tuckable away when not! That jacket I got the collar is like a piece of cardboard! Looking forward to perusing the ski shops tomorrow in London!
latest report
Spent ages in London at all the main ski stores yesterday.... way too busy for my liking but had to be done! Tried the Patagonia Adze jacket which I did like but felt it was a little on the short side for skiing. Tried a few other Patagonias but couldn't find what I was after, quite a few Rab's, out of all of them the Vapour Rise was my favourite. Finally settled on the Arc'teryx Gamma MX Hoody, great jacket, super comfortable, all the pockets in the right places etc. No idea how it will perform on the slopes but my initial impression is that it should be just the ticket.
snow report
swishtony, Can't go wrong with Arc'teryx! Nice stuff, I'm sure it'll perform admirably.
latest report
I used a Vapor Rise Lite Alpine with a lofty fleece underneath throughout last winter which was a very warm, breathable, lightweight and flexible combination. Downsides are that it wasn't totally windproof in biting cold wind. Also the material is not so strong if you snag it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy