Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft shell with snow/powder skirt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, have looked at a few threads on here about soft shells and am really keen to get one and layer up. Trouble is I cannot find a ski specific one that has a skirt attached - am I just not looking hard enough or do they not really exist? Have a reasonable budget of about £250. Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you aren't brand concious Aldi and Lidl usually have soft shell ski jackets with all the features you'd expect of ski jacket in their ski offers which will probably appear in a couple of months or so. My Aldi one is still going strong into its 4th winter
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flylow do a mens and ladies softshell outer. The ladies doesn't have a pow skirt but does have a system to fasten the jacket to the belt of your pants offering a 'halfway house' solution. the mens I'm not sure (as i was shopping for the missus) but the website should say http://eur.flylowgear.com/

I have a fair bit of Flylow gear, and am just getting more. It is bomb proof and well thought of in the US but new'ish to Europe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My marmot vertical jacket has one... And it's for sale by the way Smile

Also I think most of the big brands sell them with powder skirts.... I know rab definitely do one as I've been looking at buying it myself
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having previously always thought a snow skirt was necessary, my current jacket doesn't have one and frankly I haven't noticed its absence...wouldn't worry about again myself.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, the quality of the soft shells had really gone down last winter, quite disappointing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, Thats a pity, still my one has a good few years left in it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sportpursuit.com have offers regularly. I got a penguin jacket for a it 150. Very comfy and impressively waterproof. There is some sweet protection stuff on there at the mo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a Salomon soft shell with a snow skirt. The other one has got a North Face one, also with a snow skirt. I think mine is better because it's purple.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
I have a Salomon soft shell with a snow skirt.....

A customer of mine came in yesterday with that jacket & left with matching skis Cool. Nice jacket.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
davkt, the quality of the soft shells had really gone down last winter, quite disappointing.

???
Some of the high end shells, are simply awesome and the technical development and activity specific versions of some models, astounding.
Check out the Arc'Teryx range.
After spending two hours in Ellis Brigham yesterday I am absolutely sold and will be replacing my existing Aldi she'll ( been good but clearly not that technical)
These products are not cheap but if it's going to last, that becomes a tolerable consideration.
Oh and on the subject of snow skirts, have skied for many many years in often very deep conditions, I've never felt the need to use even the ones I have, and certainly now don't consider them a necessity.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BertIsfantastic wrote:
Sportpursuit.com have offers regularly. I got a penguin jacket for a it 150. Very comfy and impressively waterproof. There is some sweet protection stuff on there at the mo

Sportpursuit.com just delivered a sweet protection hammer jacket I ordered. It seems nice on first inspection and it has orange zips...

I am happy with it. £168
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, oooh tell me, tell me which are the matching skis Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomb wrote:
My marmot vertical jacket has one... And it's for sale by the way Smile

Also I think most of the big brands sell them with powder skirts.... I know rab definitely do one as I've been looking at buying it myself

Thanks for all the replies, some useful stuff! Forgot to mention my liking for a ski pass pocket, small detail but one I find really important!

Love the Arc'Teryx stuff but can't find a reasonably priced soft shell. Just checked out the marmot vertical jacket and love the look of that! tomb, how much, what size and what colour is yours? Also which rab jacket have you been looking at, I like the look of this one but has neither of the features I really want:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-mens-spark-jacket-11111213?id_colour=107

I do keep an eye on sportspursuit.com as well - hopefully some more ski wear coming soon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swishtony, Sportpursuit have a sweet Haglofs goretex softshell with a skirt, XL only and pretty bright for just a hair over your budget. If I had cash they'd have one less.
snow report
rogg wrote:
swishtony, Sportpursuit have a sweet Haglofs goretex softshell with a skirt, XL only and pretty bright for just a hair over your budget. If I had cash they'd have one less.

XL is the size I need.... I don't see that jacket.... do you have a direct link please? Thanks!
latest report
swishtony, I'd do for £50 all in, it's xl, it's a 2 tone blue with yellow zip and also comes with snow skirt, ski pass pocket, detachable hood etc.....

Topic here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102798

I've been looking at this rab softshell - http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell/exodus-jacket.html
snow report
andyman wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

???
Some of the high end shells, are simply awesome and the technical development and activity specific versions of some models, astounding.
Check out the Arc'Teryx range.
After spending two hours in Ellis Brigham yesterday I am absolutely sold and will be replacing my existing Aldi she'll ( been good but clearly not that technical)
These products are not cheap but if it's going to last, that becomes a tolerable consideration.
Oh and on the subject of snow skirts, have skied for many many years in often very deep conditions, I've never felt the need to use even the ones I have, and certainly now don't consider them a necessity.

Guess Hells was talking about the Aldi/Lidl ones. Mine from about 3 or 4 years ago is pretty technical but that was an Aldi replacement for a perfectly ok but totally non technical Lidl one from the year before.
snow report
i still sttruggle a little with the technical definition and differences between a hard and a soft shell. Looked at loads of different sites and threads.

Hard shell - proper waterproof
soft shell - water resistant, but not waterproof.

anyone care to help me out?
ski holidays
ansta1, there's not really a real definition of soft-shell. A hard-shell is typically waterproof and not stretchy. A soft-shell can be nearly anything. I've owned everything from a wind proof jacket through to a pile lined waterproof jacket that advertised itself as a soft-shell. Ultimately you're looking at something less waterproof but more breathable. Or waterproof and stretchy. Or something else. Personally I pack a wind shirt for going up and a hard shell for skiing down.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
spyderjon, oooh tell me, tell me which are the matching skis Toofy Grin

Carbon hybrid PM Gear Llasa Pow 179cm with the purple topsheet option, second pic down.
snow conditions
ansta1, as meh said really, its essentially a shell layer thats made of soft/strech fabric as opposed to the normal 'hard' shell fabric. I'm personally going for a Rab non membrane softshell this year which im hoping should be far more breathable than my ME goretex pro jacket. I run hot, so overheating and soaking from the inside out is my problem. Also, i find softshells far more comfortable to ski in
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
swishtony, I'd do for £50 all in, it's xl, it's a 2 tone blue with yellow zip and also comes with snow skirt, ski pass pocket, detachable hood etc.....

Topic here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102798

I've been looking at this rab softshell - http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell/exodus-jacket.html

Thanks, jacket looks good but I'm 6' 4" so I reckon it would be too short for me. This is the problem of buying large sizes I find, one makers XL can be another's XXL or L!

I like the look of the Rab stuff but don't think any of it is made specifically for skiing?
latest report
tomb, that Marmot of yours seems to tick lots of boxes for me. Why are you after an exodus over this?
latest report
Dibergio, because it's an xl and I've lost weight.... Also it's got a membrane and because I run extremely hot I wanted something that would allow a certain amount of air permeation to keep me cool.
snow conditions
Shame. Looked quite nice!
ski holidays
swishtony, why do you want (sorry, this is about to sound daft) something made specifically for skiing?

I find that most holiday skiers appear really rather undemanding on their kit. And so I tend to buy stuff that's capable of supporting and performing well in rather trickier environments. (And before anyone suggests it, I don't just mean down the pub. I also frequent restaurants.)
snow report
under a new name wrote:
swishtony, why do you want (sorry, this is about to sound daft) something made specifically for skiing?

I find that most holiday skiers appear really rather undemanding on their kit. And so I tend to buy stuff that's capable of supporting and performing well in rather trickier environments. (And before anyone suggests it, I don't just mean down the pub. I also frequent restaurants.)

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm going your way of thinking..... one thing is though.... if no lift pass pocket where does that go? I'm not sure it would work located in just a side pocket? Might be wrong though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swishtony, my lift pass is usually in my left trouser pocket or exterior jacket pocket. Only issues when particularly trouser pocket not so well located.

Having it in a left upper arm is all very well when the RFID reader is on that side, not so good when it isn't rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy