Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking in Bourg ?

Poster: A snowHead
OK drove through Bourg earlier this year but am wondering if there is anywhere with free parking there? I found the drive up to Tignes terrifying as am totally scared of heights and the windy bit with the 2 inch wall freaked me out so considering driving to Bourg and then bus up to Tignes (then I can close my eyes on the scary bits which for some reason the kids don't like me doing when I'm driving). Anyone know if the buses run every day of the week, how often and cost?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The buses run every day of the season from the Railway Station and its about é12 each way - there may be family tickets. there is a small multi storey in Bourg - not sure of costs for a week. One of the Bourg dwellers will be along soon....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drive to Tignes in the dark, you cannot see the edge then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK folks laugh but I am actually better driving at night when I can't see the edge. I freak out on the viaduct between Calais and Boulougne to the point where the kids have to talk me through it and I've done it 10 times a year for the last 10 years. It really is seeing the drop that freaks me. Example I can ski a red run, but can't do the taller of the dry slopes at Aldershot because I can see the drop at the side. Wimp I know! Also honking coach drivers when I'm nervously driving up didn't help! Parking in Bourg and getting the bus sounds the deal, if they are everyday we can always pop back for things we do or don't need. Thanks folks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellybabe, get some help. Serious suggestion - this phobia is interfering with your life.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard there are other areas of my life which need help which come as higher priority! I admit I need help just in so many ways! LOL.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parking at the Funicular at BstM may be free, BUT during the summer they were doing building work at the entrances to the car park...this may suggest that parking may become payable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't mind paying really, paid 75 euro for the week in resort and didn't touch the car so paying not to have to do that bit of the drive well worth it, although if reports of it taking six hours from Bourg to Tignes are true it might just be at my pace! Or maybe that was just the people stuck behind
me at Easter?????
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jellybabe, I totally get it! I can and have driven up to ski resorts but I go at snails pace whenever there is a drop! (My husband on the other hand loves alpine driving and has even towed our large twin axle up some incredible roads with snow chains on the car) Each to their own!

I really hate even simple blue or green pistes if there is a drop over the side! Now the driving I accept I may have to do on occasions but I avoid the roads with drops when I humanly can, the ski runs I can chose not to do and my family are well versed at finding runs mum will like Smile

There is a camp site fairly near to the funicular, near the Super U, which might allow you to leave your car there for a week for a small fee if all other options are not viable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier wrote:
jellybabe, I totally get it! I can and have driven up to ski resorts but I go at snails pace whenever there is a drop! (My husband on the other hand loves alpine driving and has even towed our large twin axle up some incredible roads with snow chains on the car) Each to their own!

I really hate even simple blue or green pistes if there is a drop over the side! Now the driving I accept I may have to do on occasions but I avoid the roads with drops when I humanly can, the ski runs I can chose not to do and my family are well versed at finding runs mum will like Smile

There is a camp site fairly near to the funicular, near the Super U, which might allow you to leave your car there for a week for a small fee if all other options are not viable.

Oh and u25`s get a discounted rate on the buses from Bourg to the resorts, as they do on most French transport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies folks, for the rather odd posting, not quite sure how I managed to quote myself I mere wanted to add a bit!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well I wish I was under 25 but sadly am 43 year old widow. Doing it on my todd or with 13 and 22 year old kids so no discount, left behind on the slopes and stuck in an apartment while they party in the evenings. Am beginning to wonder why bother, I'm crap but I love it. Would prefer to share it though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jellybabe, can the 22 year old not share the driving?

My BIL suffers from vertigo. He is a very experienced driver but hates that big viaduct on the way up to Chamonix, and skiing on pistes with an "edge". It's a very real problem, and you have my sympathy.

Do you have to go to Tignes? some places (e.g. Les Gets) are easier to drive to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just read this. Here is the latest news. The funicular parking in Bourg is no longer free. They are installing the same system as in Arc 1800. I have heard that it will be 8 Euro charge per day. Waiting to get the confirmed prices for overnight and weekly parking. A very bad idea imo. There is a new free parking area near the railway station at the moment, but I do not know if this will remain so by the winter. After the start of the ski season, all parking areas in Bourg are likely to charge. They even have a new compound to tow your cars to if you do not pay which will cost extra to get your car released. My advice, be careful where you park in Bourg this winter. I wonder what the season workers will do when they return for the winter. Could be interesting!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lol jellybabe, I was assuming you were over 25, just thinking about overall family costs. Last winter it was a pleasant surprise to find all 3 of my kids got discounted travel as u 25`s. In England we were so used to having to pay full fare for them once 16 it made a pleasant change!

And ditto to PamW re sharing the driving with your 22 year old? One of my sons drove me down fro La Ros into Bourg las Xmas when I did not fancy it!
snow conditions
snowcrazy, I guess this is going someway to cover the well documented financial problems in the Les Arcs Commune!
ski holidays
Super U, Intermarche and Weldom are free!!!
snow report
roche1800, do they check those overnight? I'm guessing they must do otherwise they'd be full of seasonnaires in camper vans.
snow report
and all those car parks along side McDonalds etc
latest report
Quote:
The funicular parking in Bourg is no longer free. They are installing the same system as in Arc 1800. I have heard that it will be 8 Euro charge per day
A bit unusual that - ie the French wanting to screw every penny out of tourists who are already pumping millions into their economy rolling eyes.

I once queried the sky high food and drink prices with a Val Thorens restaurateur. He explained that the high altitude ski stations have to make what they can in a relatively short season. Fair dos - but that's not applicable to year-round towns like Bourg St Maurice, Chamonix etc. Hmmmm.......
snow conditions
Replying to part of the original question - there are at least 3 public buses per day going to (and obviously from) each resort. Not sure if there are others I am not aware of. Plus on change over days you can sometimes get a lift on the Tour company buses.
snow report
Thanks for all this folks. 22 year old doesn't drive (complex reasons). It now looks like we'll be taking two of his friends who will drive which should make it all easier. My daughter is adamant that we go back to Tignes as she loved it so much at Easter. We'll be an odd bunch though, half term with me very nervous low intermediate, daughter (13) with no fear (she skied Tignes with no poles at Easter with hand in a cast 7 days after having screws put in her hand) the boys range from complete beginner to 3 weeks ski ing. I'm going to look like a youth group. Still I'm getting excited already!
snow conditions
jellybabe, Do you have to park in Bourg? why not look at some of the villages on the way up to Tignes there is plenty of free parking on route and the ski bus stops at quite a few places I think?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy