Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who is/was the president of Raise? [the Lake District lift-served ski area]

Poster: A snowHead
He has three ski runs named after him! See new piste map, just posted up on Winterhighland by Peter S ...

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/piste-map.html

Must be/have been a legend.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did not know there was this skiing in the lake district!

No idea who he was, hes a ledge. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Lake District is well known for water skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... which is a bit less steep and unserved by lifts.

The Guardian had this tidy and informative article about six ski areas in England ... by Paul Godsmark, last January ...

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/jan/19/skiing-snowbaording-england-pennines-lake-district
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flabbergasted to be honest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went up at Easter fulfilling a long held ambition. One of the best day's skiing of my life. Surface conditions weren't very special but the people and the setting really shouldn't be missed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The piste map doesn't mention the 45-60 minute walk or skin in to get to its ski tow. wink Raise's ski area is one that I'd love to visit but when it's in condition, so are the Moffat Hills and the Highlands ski areas. I will promise myself to commit to a trip there this season though. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The President doesn't have to be a man snowHead

....In this case it was however. The orignal run at Raise was 'Savages gulley'. This was found to be one of the most reliable skiable snow holding gullies in the Lake District. There has been a series of tows there since about 1952 with the current fixed grip Poma constructed in 1989.

Savages is a steepening gunbarrel which tends to throw you to the right requiring firmer left handed turns. A previous president of the club found this run difficult and so when the easier fenced option (visible on the aerial photograph) was created to the west of the tow line, this run was named 'The Presidents'.

The presidents and savages are now the 'main runs' at Raise and catch snow on winds from the north west through to the south.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S, nice bit of history that. Smile The thing that usually stops me heading south to try out the lift-served skiing in England though, is the impression that when conditions are good to go, it's not very simple to just turn up, pay your money and do it. Please tell me that I'm wrong. Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistral_ski, there are other resorts as well. Yad Moss is the most popular, I've had many good days skiing there.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2009/jan/02/skiing-scotland1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Moffatross,

Quite a few mid week days last year there were only a handful of people skiing at Raise. The tow ran nearly 60 days in total, almost a record. You must however join the club so your first day will cost you £30 and then £10 per day thereafter. Alternatively a season ticket membership is £55.

At Yad Moss you can turn up and pay £15 during the week or £20 at the weekend. A season ticket theer is also £55 (previous season ticket holders get a discount). There are also reciprocal ticket arrangements between Yad Moss and Raise and Yad Moss and Weardale (but not Raise and Weardale).

Only if it looks like being a really busy day at Yad Moss (eg. usually the first very snowy day of the season) will the club limit tickets to either website sales the night before or possibly limit all tickets to season ticket holders only.

At Raise the walk up naturally limits the numbers so I don't think ticket sales there have ever needed to be limited. Laughing

Perhaps see you up at Raise or Yad Moss one day or failing that in Scotland somewhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S, are you the President of Raise?

From your efforts over the years, maybe you should be the Emperor!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raise really does intrigue me, especially as it is (relatively, compared to home in Hemel!) near to the in-laws place near Whitehaven so somewhere we go every 18 months or so! Would absolutely love to give it a go one winter with the in-laws babysitting, it would be ideal. But the walk up.. it states "physically fit" and mention is made of crampons etc and being experienced in winter conditions. Now I'm reasonably physically fit when not pregnant like I am right now (this winter is out!). In fact my husband is coincidentally doing a 15K trail run in the immediate area in a few weeks, so he is presumably fit enough. As regards me I had no problems doing Scafell Pike from one of the trickier routes in the summer, and I can run a fair bit too if necessary - but is that enough? Especially if lugging skis through deep snow.

And the "experienced in winter conditions", well, I'm a soft southerner. My "winter conditions experience" extends to climbing up hills in overgrown fields with a sledge in tow. That's going to be a big problem, isn't it? And I am not even sure what a crampon is (you can all shoot me now), okay, I looked it up. They don't look too scary. At least you're not asking for ice axes I suppose. We have the willpower and motivation to make the climb but neither of us have the relevant experience and nor would we know anyone local who could come with us either as far as I am aware.

We also don't have winter tyres for the car to even get near the walk up. Does that make the entire thing impossible? Although I should add that we're likely to invest in some before too long anyway as we're planning on driving for our next European trip. But it is just a car, not a 4x4.

Also what about children? No children at all, which I could totally understand given I am not that sure we could get up there ourselves, or is there a suggested age limit/experience level?

Sorry for all the questions!! Have been thinking about going one day since I heard about the place but just want to know how realistic it is for us!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparklies, Short answer is it is best to have winter hillwalking kit for the hike in. Mainly the path up from the mines can be pretty icy if snow conditions are good. I think I used crampons on that bit when I went up at Easter but took them off wen the gradient lessoned and path got wider. Mainly accessing the ski area involved a bit of postholing through drifts.

I think some of the regulars use snowshoes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks fatbob!

Excuse the total newbie question, but what would winter hillwalking kit consist of, besides crampons just in case? Is regular ski wear not right? Am guessing things can be left at the hut whilst skiing anyway! I'm happy giving anything involving a lot of effort a go, but I don't want to do anything dangerous through naivety if you see what I mean!
snow report
Crampons. Boots soles stiff enough to take a crampon. Walking axe if particularly exposed. Layers, bivvy, emergency plan etc etc
snow conditions
can you skin into the ski area or are crampons a must???
latest report
Crampons aren't definitely required if you're surefooted and confident or snow is soft or snow level is high etc etc but if you've got 'em/use em . I think the direct approach would require a lot of cover to be skinnable, the route via the valley better.
snow conditions
I'm guessing ski boots (with attached crampons!) are not the recommended method and separate waterproof boots are needed for them?

I now have an excuse to buy a bivvy, heh!

Thanks!!
ski holidays
I,ve never actually used crampons to approach Raise but it can sometimes get icy enough near the hut on the usual route in to make them very desirable on old snow. Check the website or answer phone message first.
As long as you are fit enough to carry skis, boots and a big rucsac (at least 50L,) uphill for an hour, you should be fine. Arrive early and use a map or hook up with some members who know the way. You,ll probably want to use walking boots rather than walk in ski boots.
Car parking is quite limited but usually acceessible without chains. The car park is at about 1000' so often below the snowline. Don't try to drive up however if traction is likely to be a problem. The road is narrow and very rough.
With regard to children they are not banned snowHead I skied up there in my early teens and there are sometimes younger kids but they will need to be strong enough to carry their kit and put up with the wind and cold. Probably best not taking your kids the first time you go. You can then assess the set up.
The alternative is to ski at yad moss. That is just a 10min walk above the roadside. Unfortunately YM is usually only skiable on only half the days that Raise is.
ski holidays
Whether you need crampons depends on snow conditions. If it's soft you don't but British hills get a lot of freeze/thaw and wind action and those can leave the snow hard. Very hard unpisted snow is something you don't see often in the Alps in winter but it's common in British hills. If you don't have crampons you can kick steps but that's slow and strenuous. Walking in crampons takes practice. Unless on very steep ground, you plant your feet flat (not edging), flexing ankles if required and walk like John Wayne (feet wider apart than normal) to avoid one crampon catching the other. Crampons need a boot with a stiff sole and must be adjusted to fit the boot. Not something to try for the first time on the hill.

If you need crampons you need an ice-axe and you need to know how to self-arrest. Otherwise if you slip on a slope you are going to keep going until you 1. arrive at a horizontal section 2. arrive at a cliff 3. hit a boulder. The latter two are not happy outcomes.

Competency at navigation may save your life in British hills in winter, when all you can see is white, up down and sideways. Bearing in mind the weather can change fast for the worse and a night in the open may kill you. There are no pisteurs coming to look for stragglers.
ski holidays
Thanks Peter_S! That's all really great information and very helpful. It sounds like it could well be a possibility next season (not this coming one!) Yad Moss is quite a bit further so Raise is more appealing from that point of view.. but obviously it depends on the conditions. I would love to say I've skiied in England outside!

I have some Yaktrax - would they help if we didn't do the full crampon thing?

With regards to what dogwatch posted (thank you!) - that's quite alarming as regards ice axes and needing to know how to self-arrest. Would it apply to the walk up to Raise?
snow report
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/faqs.html How do I get up the mountain?

Please refer to O.S. Map English Lakes 1:25000. N.E. Sheet before setting off and bring a compass – particularly useful for finding your way down to the chimney if it clouds over. Raise (343175) is reached from Glenridding (386169) via Greenside Mines (365174). On reaching the mines follow the footpath for Sticks Pass, up the hill to your right. At the top of the zig zags you will see on your left a steep banking. This is the old chimney: follow this until you reach the remains of the chimney stack. About 200 metres past this traverse Raise to the right (there is no path) and you will come to the ski slope at the top of the valley.Take care on the last section if the snow is hard as a fall and slide could pitch you onto rocks. When reaching the area you will find the club hut (345177).

Personally, if I thought the snow might be hard, I'd take an ice-axe. I haven't been to Raise but I've done a reasonable amount of winter hillwalking in the Lakes and Scotland and there have been times crampons and axe were a must. There was also at least one time I left an axe behind to save weight and dearly wished I hadn't.
latest report
Hi sparklies, don,t worry too much about ice axe and crampons. If its that icy you probably won't want to ski up there anyway. Most of the time walking boots and ski sticks are fine. The important thing is to ring the snowline after 7 pm the night before. That will give you chapter and verse about snow cover, approach conditions, forecast, whether the tow is running etc. The main thing is to be able to pack and carry your ski boots and skis up there and to be able to navigate, in case there is no one else to follow or the visibility is bad. First time up I would recommend hooking up with someone who knows the way.

Its a great place to be and there are some very friendly and enthusiastic people who will make you welcome if you make the effort to get up there. snowHead

Hope you get some skiing there next time you are up.
ski holidays
Thanks Peter and dogwatch for all your great advice! Sounds like the best bet then is to ring the line each evening (i.e. not have a fixed day in mind) and if we get lucky, go for a day where it's not hard/ice and conditions are pretty good. I agree, it's not much fun skiing when it's icy anyway. And I'll ask around to find somebody to come with us that first time too.

Really hope we do get to try it in the next few years.. would be perfect snowHead
ski holidays
Lots of info and chat on the LDSC Facebook page too.
snow conditions
I'm hoping to have a walk up in the near future. Fingers crossed the weather plays ball Smile
ski holidays
I've only ever had to use crampons once up there and it was only for about 60 metres on the last traverse before the members hut. Skiing at raise is generally blue/easy red gradient but the runs aren't pisted so you deal with what's there. If you'd like to experience something akin to what early skiing was like I.e walking uphill for your turns then it's great. Everyone is really friendly with a great bonhomie feeling. If I still lived close enough I'd still be a member. The walk in puts a lot off so it's rarely busy. Yad can be very busy at weekends, the terrain is flatter more like green/easy blue, but the poma is a detachable and they have a modern piste basher! English skiing is a different experience to skiing anywhere else. Plus you have to experience English après ski!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy