Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot or person problem ?

Poster: A snowHead
One thing a need to focus on this season is getting forward in my boots.

Apart from practising loads is there anthing else I can do to make me do this ??

Can I put something in my boots under my heel for example ???

Charlotte - any ideas ?

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to be centred in your boots, the best thing to stop you getting in the back seat, is to pull your free foot ie the one on the inside of the turn back.
Watch most intermediate skiers and you will see they have a big tip lead. ie their inside ski is way in front of the other. So the thing is you need to pull this foot back under your hips before the fall line. Important to get this happening early so you stay over your skis.
Your hamstrings are the muscles doing this. note this is not the same as pushing the outside foot forward!
Once you have this working you should find your turn and balance improves considerably. Its one thing to be forward in your boots, the trick is staying in balance througout the turn.
If you put in heel wedges that is likely to load up your quads, and give you sore legs. Even with limited dorsiflexion you should be right without wedges.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Mason, I really don't want to start another row about this with bejes, so I'll PM you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Mason, try getting your upper body forward, and your legs will follow. (just a thought)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, Hips! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Hips
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Hooray!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul Mason,

Short answer, no ...!!

Ski with the arms forward, knees flexed and tilting the pelvis helps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, I'm sure easiski, may have said this already - but try undoing/loosening the power strap and top buckle, and/or the 2nd buckle too. At the end of each turn try to bring your hips forward - and aim to feel your shins on the front of the boot.. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, Actually I haven't mentioned loosening the boots - I don't think that's a problem - just the usual too much knee bend and not enough ankle bend. Habit of ages etc. He's got a jolly exercise to do at home with the Mrs. and no - I'm not telling!!! Shocked wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Shocked Shocked Shocked wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, and I cannot wait to start those exercises - I never would have thought that would help my posture etc but .......it does.

I tried it last night on my own but snowbird is back from Sheffield today so that'll make things much more interesting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul Mason, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
What is it with Masons and secret rituals Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you have anything that goes against what i have said easiski i'd like to hear it!
Paul mason, if you want to ski like that dude warren smith, then this seems to be the place to hang out.
Personally I prefer Harbs style. Suit yourself.
latest report
bejes wrote:
if you want to ski like that dude warren smith, then this seems to be the place to hang out.

I reckon WS would agree that big tip lead is a bad thing. He'd probably explain how to avoid it in a different way though
ski holidays
bejes wrote:
If you have anything that goes against what i have said easiski i'd like to hear it!
Paul mason, if you want to ski like that dude warren smith, then this seems to be the place to hang out.

Not another PMTS person Shocked

PMTS'ers are to skiing what Jehovahs witnesses are to religion wink
ski holidays
bejes wrote:

bejes, your leader recently described a website where peope are free to discuss different techniques and styles as follows:

"I have better things to do then log onto Epic like: root canals, sewer flushing, septic tank cleaning, garage organization"

Those kind of comments don't exactly encourage people, but if that's what you call style, then stick with it!
snow report
bejes, If you draw back the inside ski, then you'll end up with the outside ski ahead and ditto the outside hip etc. This is what we call ROTATION! While a large inside tip lead is not necessarily a good thing, an outside tip lead is DEFINITELY a bad thing. What do you have against Warren Smith? I've always heard he was a) a good teacher and b) a bl**dy fantastic skier! Don't have personal knowledge though.

DB, "PMTS'ers are to skiing what Jehovahs witnesses are to religion wink " many a true word ................................ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wear The Fox Hat, I don't log on to Epic for different reasons (time mostly), but I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that. Shocked
snow conditions
I have seen some of his video footage. To me its how skiers skied while on straight skis. There seems to be no modification in technique for shaped skis.
There seems to be a lot of stuff with him jumping in the air to start turns.
The teaching points are miles away from pmts. eg leg steering, an exaggerated wide stance, no edge engagement until the last part of the turn.
Compare his skiing and harbs on his videos. Its pretty obvious.

What exactly is rotating? What im suggesting is you keep the free foot pulled back under your hips. That is not rotating anything.
Its resisting a force. Doing this keeps you over your skis. It's quite simple.

I didn't suggest an outside tip lead either.
snow conditions
bejes wrote:
To me its how skiers skied while on straight skis. There seems to be no modification in technique for shaped skis.

Ah yes, straight skis - when people used to ski with their legs together, and lift the inside ski to start the turn. No one would recommend that these days!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I was taught on skinny skis, ending up on 190's, to ski with my feet and knees apart, so not everyone was taught to keep knees and ankles together Very Happy
snow conditions
snowbunny, I ended up on long straight 190s too, but was never happier than when I could hear my skis and boots clattering together. Now I have to make a very conscious effort to keep them apart Sad
snow conditions
bejes wrote:

Not sure what you've been watching then because Warren doesn't teach that, nor is it on any DVDs that I've seen. Unless you're talking about teaching jump turns on steeps? In which case...erm...jumping in the air would seem reasonable Very Happy
latest report
WTFH, you should know from reading pmts posts that legs together doesn't mean ankles locked together.
There is separation of the feet to allow for edges to angle etc.
The lifting of the inside ski is more of an exercise to get skiers balancing on one ski. Perhaps you are thinking of 60's wedln or something. Pmts is definitely not about that.
Do you think HH skiing looks anything like that?
snow conditions
bejes, it looks like he's in a sewer having a root canal, but that's what he wants to do!
snow report
bejes, Clearly, if you draw your inside ski back under your body your hips will turn with the skis, if you draw it back further then you will have rotation. If your body is in the right place you won't have to even think about that. Better to get people ski-ing properly to start with. In any case I don't remember Paul Mason having a marked inner ski lead at the EOSB.

Feet together has already been discussed Shocked .

I've never seen Warren Smith doing any of the things you mention on any of his videos that I've seen, (Ive always seen a very clear parallel shin) but jumping would seem reasonable as he's mainly a freeride and bumps teacher. On very steep slopes (especially narrow couloirs), a jump turn is the only safe thing to do. You're a disciple - but you're not going to persuade the 99.9% of the ski-ing pros that HH has the answers - sorry.

Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
have a look at j2ski of some of the videos.
I see a wedge entry on a lot of turns, indicating he doesnt release with his old stance foot.
Also his inside ski is further forward than PMTS skiers.

Really easiski, 99.9? You sure of that?
Again, proof is in the skiing and students. Also return students.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bejes, I think the attitude does more damage than good - not just the attitude that everyone else is wrong, and until you get indoctrinated into PMTS, you aren't a valid skier, but also that any idea which doesn't use certain terms is therefore wrong, but if you can call the same exercise something with the right words, then it's acceptable.
snow report
I am detecting some thread drift here, how will this current debate help Paul Mason, and his needs Puzzled
ski holidays
snowbunny, Since we've already had this disagreement with bejes, (who insults me every time) I didn't want to get into it again, but she particularly asked, and therefore I felt obliged to reply. However, "99.9? You sure of that? " Yes as far as I can be without polling everyone in the world. and "Again, proof is in the skiing and students. Also return students." Excuse me? Are you suggesting that I (and most of my colleagues) don't have return clients? That our clients don't learn anything or are not satisfied? For some, ski teaching is a vocation - not a get rich quick scheme.

Wear The Fox Hat, Is spot one - It's astonishing how much we're agreeing at the moment isn't it?? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
SB, i think i made a valid point re the initial question. Then it was followed by vague sugesstions of getting your hips forward. Again, skiing starts with your feet.
So by keeping your free foot underneath you, you will be in balance. How do people suggest that you get your hips forward? Easiski then suggests that pulling your free foot back will result in rotation. To make things simple, i didn't suggest using counter. (This will keep the outside hip back obviously) Of course in high level skiing there is counter. I can show you dozens of photos of racers with their free foot placed as per PMTS. Again, this is something i see lacking in most terminal intermediates. I was one. I had no idea about the importance of the free foot. For those that are interested there are numerous clear explanations on the real skiers forum.
ski holidays
easiski, I dont think i insulted you. I disagreed, which seems like there is no room for different opinions here. Fine. My statment of proof is in the skiing was relevant to the harb camps, and the return rate of skiers, not you. My comparison is more based on the average skier who has a lesson, finds no success and doesn't return. IE their skiing doesn't improve. Again not directed at you. As you no doubt aware PMTS is a NON_PROFIT organisation. The same can't be said of the european ski schools i'm sure.
latest report
bejes, why have a free foot? Why not use both, like ALL good skiers do?
latest report
bejes, As far as I'm concerned you did, and this is the second thread you've personally insulted me on. I'm not discussing this anymore. Now I'm exercising considerable self-restraint here - I suggest you do the same.
snow conditions
bejes wrote:
have a look at j2ski of some of the videos.
I see a wedge entry on a lot of turns, indicating he doesnt release with his old stance foot.

Nope, still not seeing it. Had a look at 5 or 6 clips and didn't see anything even close to a wedge. Anyway, I thought he was jumping in the air? Make up your mind.

Quote:
Also his inside ski is further forward than PMTS skiers.

Shocked The horror!
latest report
snowbunny, thankyou. easiski and snowbird have satisfied my needs as they normally do. One day at the EOSB they both satisfied my needs on the same day ! Later that day PG satisfied my needs as I sat in his house watching Sunderland beat West Ham and drinking fine wines and beers.

Harold who ?

Can a mod please lock this now ???

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-11-05 13:01; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Paul Mason wrote:
Harold who ?

Harald, but apart from that, you got it right Wink Laughing
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Smile
ski holidays
Paul Mason,
Quote:

easiski and snowbird have satisfied my needs as they normally do. One day at the EOSB they both satisfied my needs on the same day ! Later that day PG satified my needs as I sat in his house watching Sunderland beat West Ham and drinking fine wines and beers.

It's errr.. great that you feel you have your needs satisfied as usual...I think Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy