Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it Japan worth the extra cost and effort?

Poster: A snowHead
I am debating whether to head to Japan next year for a few weeks and I am not sure if the extra cost and hassle compared to a EU trip is worth it. Really I am thinking about the powder rather than anything else.

If you have done a trip there was it worth it or not??? I'm guessing yes, but would be good to get some feedback on people's experiences. Thinking of maybe heading to the Myoko Kogen area as it is seems more authentic and terrain looks to be good as well

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I went last year and it was amazing, two weeks of non-stop deep snow. My thread from the trip is here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2256341
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMG, in a word, yes. But it's not guaranteed. I've been three times. Last year's trip was disappointing by local standards (I was in Niseko), with relatively high temperatures, some high winds and not much snowfall. The two trips previous to that were awesome. First trip I had 30-50cm of lovely snow every other day for the two weeks I was there. Second trip is started to snow on day three and was still snowing, non-stop, when we left the resort a week later. Aside from the snow you have the opportunity to sample apres-ski Japanese style (amazing food, onsens, etc) plus some sightseeing on your way back home if you want (you can fly via Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong).

If you like to ski very steep terrain Niseko might not be ideal as there is not a huge amount which is very steep, but for (generally) unrivalled snow it's a good place to start.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also went last year and confirm it was well worth it. Our group had skied extensively in Europe and Noth America and were delighted for all the reasons given by rob@rar. Price wise I think it compares to catskiing in Canada (from the UK) but is a completely different experience.

There are lots of thread son here re Hokkaido etc which support the few comments above
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Extra cost compared with where in the EU?

Wide variation of prices in the EU after all.

A 2-3 week trip will be expensive, but the per diem rate won't be much different from the same duration in the more expensive French and Swiss resorts.

I've heard Myoko is a great area.

Contact Ben at Japan Ski Experience for the lowdown and a quote.

http://www.japanskiexperience.co.uk/

This will be my 7th winter on Hokkaido.

Agree with the above posters.

This was last season and there was great powder to be had outside of the Niseko Resort Area during rob@rar's visit.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93446

Best, most, and most consistent powder I've had the pleasure to ski
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a unique Japanese experience - great write-up for The Guardian by Louise Healy 5 days ago:

Extreme skiing at the crater of Japan's Mount Yotei volcano
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/oct/04/extreme-skiing-crater-japan-mount-yotei-volcano
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your only interested in fresh snow i'd be inclinded to pick a time period and base the destination on conditions at the exact time and get a last minute deal.

that said, i'd give my right arm to go riding in japan as i've never visited that part of the world.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Here's a unique Japanese experience - great write-up for The Guardian by Louise Healy 5 days ago:

Extreme skiing at the crater of Japan's Mount Yotei volcano
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/oct/04/extreme-skiing-crater-japan-mount-yotei-volcano

It is a good piece with a good local company Niseko Xtreme.

Couple of significant factual errors which I pointed out in the comments section.

Quote:
Hi Louise,

Congrats on getting up, down, up & down Mt. Yotei.

However, Mt. Yotei is dormant not active.

And the descent from the crater rim to the bottom of the crater is at best 3 minutes, not 30 minutes.

Had a great ski inside the crater one August Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow,

3 minutes skiing, 27 minutes looking for lost skis?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMG, definitely. Skied Niesko and Furano for a week before heading down to Myoko Kogen. Loved it all. Myoko Kogen was great for the experience but found that the North Island resorts had a lot more skiing in them. I reckon I would go to MK for only a couple of days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMG, it's the deepest most frequently refreshed snow I've skied in 20+ years.....but as rob says there is no guarantee

However if you want steep, 2000m long descents it's not really got that
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMG, Zao and Shiga Kogen http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73205&highlight= , we thought is was one of the most amazing ski experiences we have had

Check out the Snowjapan site, a bit like snowheads, lots of useful information, also www.japanskiexperience.co.uk.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMG, oh yes, it is worth it. I used to live in Hong Kong and could get to Zao pretty easily. Much better than nearer places like Korea.

Culturally interesting, with the chance to make a proper prat of yourself drinking local sake from local square mugs made from thick balsa wood planks. The surprise souvenir tape the manager from the karoke bar made was so bad it was fed into the fuel system of the nearest nuclear plant.

Ended up liking Zao because it was easy to get to for us but a only had 1 major city near by, Sendai.

Avoid the Japanese winter holiday week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMG, I lived in Japan for a number of years and have had fantastic times skiing there. The snow if genuinely deeper and lighter than anywhere else in the world I've skiied.

But, you need to remember that if you are just visiting for a week or two then you are as much at the whim of the weather as you are anywhere. It could be great, it could be less so. So I'd say in measuring up the cost question how much value you place on doing something adventurous, enjoying a very different culture and cuisine as much as the skiing experience.

If all you want is great snow then you could save yourself time in travel and cost by grabbing something last minute in Europe just after a good snowfall. The Alps after all are pretty amazing.

But if trying something different, risking a bit and enjoying some cultural challenges, as well as a good chance of really amazing snow is what grabs you then Japan will repay the investment you make.

If you want steep think Hakuba rather than Niseko.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-10-13 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skiingian wrote:
local square mugs made from thick balsa wood planks.

Rather hope they were hinoki not balsa.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, serves me right for blabbing on, there is always a person who actually knows stuff about things. Must say it sort of tasted a bit like balsa, however I did have a real lock jaw grip to try and not pour another round down my shirt. May not have had my taste buds fully engaged.
snow report
I second what Nozawaonsen said. I was slightly disappointed in my experience because all the hype about Japan (espcially here in Australia) is about the snow. Despite going at what should have been peak season I barely got any new snow and quite a few down days with rain. Problem was I was so busy being annoyed about the conditions that I didn't fully appreciate the cultural side of the place and still gorgeous mountains around me.
snow report
Raven, out of interest, what time of year did you go, where did you goto and for how long??
ski holidays
But skiing in Japan i more then just the skiing - it is all around it-onsen-food- people- the living, that is why Nozawaonsen is one of the nices places to visit - even though it is quite smal compered to the Alps. Blush
ski holidays
BMG, in 20 years time if you look back at all the places/trips you skied, many trips will have the same feel and merge into one, skiing in Japan or anywhere out of the UK mainstream destinations is same on snow but experience off slopes makes it memorable. It would be a trip that would stand out.
snow report
I must be a proper snowHead.

I only went for as much fresh stuff as I could get in; and it didn't dissapoint in that respect. The food was good and the locals much more kind, funny and friendly than I expected. I did an Onsen, but it wasn't that memorable for me. And I'd say that unless you take in a stay away from the ski resorts, then there isn't too much culture to immerse yourself in. But I didn't go looking too hard - I was there for the snow.

However before you plan your trip, try to find out your target resort/s feelings towards off-piste skiing. Some don't like you doing it, some limit the area you can use, some require you to have a guide, but others have numbered gates into the back country with laminated O.S type maps to show you where to go.

On balance I'd say it's worth a crack.
snow report
At the beginning of this year I went to Hakuba on the main island of Honshu end of January / beginning of February for 7 days skiing and a few days sightseeing and a couple of years ago to Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen late Feb / early March. That was 2 weeks skiing and 3 days in Tokyo. Out of the those two trips the only two powder days I got were in March.

If you go all the way to Japan to ski I'd definitely recommend adding on some side trips to experience a bit more of the place. I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto and they're both fascinating places with reasonably priced accommodation if you shop around a bit.
snow conditions
I skied in Japan for a number of years. Until four years ago, I decided to try USA instead of Hokkaido. It turned out to be a great decision, been skiing in Colorado, Utah & Tahoe the last 4 years, no regret.
ski holidays
Raven wrote:
At the beginning of this year I went to Hakuba on the main island of Honshu end of January / beginning of February for 7 days skiing and a few days sightseeing and a couple of years ago to Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen late Feb / early March. That was 2 weeks skiing and 3 days in Tokyo. Out of the those two trips the only two powder days I got were in March.

If you go all the way to Japan to ski I'd definitely recommend adding on some side trips to experience a bit more of the place. I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto and they're both fascinating places with reasonably priced accommodation if you shop around a bit.

That's some bad luck.

Up north it's more consistent albeit not as steep.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Raven wrote:

That's some bad luck.

Up north it's more consistent albeit not as steep.

I'm hoping my snow luck turns around in my Euro trip next year. In the future I'm hoping to try Hokkaido. For me the lack of steep terrain isn't a deal breaker.

Just a tip from my experiences with Japanese reports close to major Japanese cities. Weather permitting try and plan any rest days for the weekends. The slopes can seem almost deserted during the week but come the weekend they're invaded by hordes of day / weekend trippers from Tokyo and other large centres. There are a high percentage of snowboarders among the young Japanses and one of their favourite ways to spend the day is sat in the middle of cat tracks on the phone to their friends. Slalom practice!
snow conditions
I will put up a re-thread soon....but if anybody wants to ski Japan this coming season:

I will be going to Japan on or about 26th February for 12-14 days.
I can be a little bit flexible about the dates.

I have sufficiemt BA miles to get "free" ticket...and another "free" ticket for somebody travelling with me.

I say "free" because the taxes and landing charges have to be paid...approx £350 return.

I'll be going to Niseko where my son (aka The Lad) will be teaching the full season for Pro Powder ski school (excellent name!).

I plan to stay in a Lodge, probably this one: www.Slowlifeniseko.com

If you don't want to be with me, even don't want to sit next to me, or even speak to me....that is fine.
However it would be good to share the adventure, sadly my wife does not want to come.

I've had a couple of snowHeads say "yes" but then "no, the wife won't let me".

Only say yes if you mean it....and say it soon....I plan to book the flights early next week.

Me: 50 (ish). Good skier, not expert. Budget = modest, not skimping, but not flashing it around.
snow conditions
rungsp, would have loved to have joined you, but I'll be in Grance for all those dates. Any other time and I'd be there like a flash!
snow report
there we go then - it seems the answer is YES. Thanks for all the feed back. Now just to make a call on where to go. Tending towards Niseko region I think but maybe not staying in Niseko itself.

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMG wrote:
there we go then - it seems the answer is YES. Thanks for all the feed back. Now just to make a call on where to go. Tending towards Niseko region I think but maybe not staying in Niseko itself.

Cheers

Niseko town itself is definitely not the ideal place to stay, I don't think anyone really does. Hirafu has the best village and night skiing, but is busier.
snow conditions
BMG, as Mike said earlier, your best bet is to simply Contact Ben at Japan Ski Experience for the lowdown and a quote.

http://www.japanskiexperience.co.uk/

He has been out there the past few winters and is really honest about the location of his properties etc etc.
snow conditions
Really worth it!

I'm heading back out there on January 5th for a couple of weeks staying at the black diamond lodge.
Only thing this year is that the flights seem to be a good bit pricier!!
rolling eyes

Anyone else out there during that time give me a shout!!

Very Happy
latest report
I'm teaching in Niseko this year (at NVSS rather than one of the independents) but am well up for new ski buds on off-days.
snow report
Defo worth it! Spent a week at new year in Niseko (had been living in HK for 6 months prior so would have been rude not to!). Really different from a trip to the Alps. We had about 4 days of waist-deep, plenty of great places to eat, one fun nightclub. The quality of snow was head and shoulders above what I'm used to - even when tracked-out it didn't seem to get compacted down but rather just got re-dispersed. Not very steep terrain, but brilliant tree skiing.

Would echo the comments above in suggesting factoring in some tourist/sight-seeing times.
snow report
sparkzter wrote:
Really worth it!

I'm heading back out there on January 5th for a couple of weeks staying at the black diamond lodge.
Only thing this year is that the flights seem to be a good bit pricier!!
rolling eyes

Anyone else out there during that time give me a shout!!

Very Happy

I'll be there (in BD Lodge) from the 16th Jan. Prolly have 4-5 days in Niseko.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy