Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ahhhh....its going to be expensive. again. or maybe not at all now. boo hoo.

Poster: A snowHead
looks like we may possibly be sneaking a 3vs trip in for xmas week.

upside, its quiet for me work wise.
upside, its skiing
upside, its 3vs, which we love, but not everyones cup of tea.
upside, girls can go for their next level of esf awards

downside, i quite like xmas at home
downside, it wont be cheap
downside, got to convince swmbo

we have no family plans for xmas so that is another upside....

arrrrrrrgggggg. cant resist, cant resist....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-10-13 20:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love skiing at Christmas. It's a shame not to see the family but it's just too much downtime. And it's a great time to be out skiing IMO.

I wonder if I'll ever go to the 3V's again. I really should! But then I should go back to Tignes aswell. And a couple of other places!

Question regarding the esf awards. It's a genuine one, despite my *cough* situation. What's the end game with that? What do the girls get out of it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1,
5x upsides, 3x downsides?
Winning argument in my mind although concede that swmbo probably has casting vote regardless.

3Vs not cheap but soooo much fun to be had in any of the resorts!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you like Christmas at home, then just have it on another day.

Last year, our youngest was going away for the season and the oldest was going to New Zealand with her new husband so we had our Christmas at the end of November. Thoroughly lovely weekend. Saturday was just like a normal Christmas day. Christmas tree, carols / christmas pop songs, proper meal, crackers, jokes, silly hats, presents, ate and drank too much. The only thing missing was the Queen's speech. Sunday was just like a lazy Boxing day.

What was even better was all during December when friends and people at work were getting more and more worked up about Christmas I just thought - "I've had mine already" and actually had quite a relaxing month. The strangest thing was picking up the goose. The butcher was intrigued and was somewhat taken aback when I described what we were doing !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Expensive,tell me about it,I'm on the net right now trying to arrange an appt/chalet for myself,wife,and 2 children for the 28/12/2014 in Meribel!!!!!!!!!! Anybody got any ideas where to find something at a resonable price?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar wrote:
This. We've done Christmas in the Alps for at least 15 years and love it. We then have something which approaches a traditional Christmas Day with our family at another time, although that is getting increasingly difficult to find time for as I'm usually away for all of December.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1,

"looks like we may possibly be "

and

"got to convince swmbo "

are in the wrong order. You should know by now that you shouldn't make promises that aren't sanctioned by management.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Anybody got any ideas where to find something at a resonable price?

somewhere else?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, good point, decided to avoid discussion last night as the 'mood' wasn't quite right.

rob@rar, indeed, and in fact it's not actually christmas itself. It's just one of the few times when I genuinely get downtime, never skied at christmas. yet......

Layne, The instruction they have with ESF is always well structured and the awards system (youngest on her 3*, going for bronze next time, eldest has 2 bronzes as she wasn't quite good enough for her Gold in Feb) is fair and well administered, so they don't just get a pass and a badge at the end of it, they actually have to earn and be good enough for it. I have a deal with our girls, that they can stop lessons when they get their gold stars. That doesn't mean they won't have further instruction, just that they won't be in quite as structured an environment. Also being a bit selfish it allows me and Mrs Ansta1 to get some time in the morning to ourselves, and as I usually book her a morning lesson on one day, some time to myself to have a bit of a blast. We usually pick them up before lunch, have a quick ski, lunch, ski the afternoon as a family, then Mrs A would normally stop a bit before lift close so me and the girls can go play in the fun park or do a few faster runs without mum.

I need to make the decision soon, think tonight might be the night Now should I :-

go and get 'dinner for a £10' at M&S and some flowers
book a table somewhere nice
or
just stop off at the pub for a couple of hours 'dutch courage' and then fall through the door and announce 'weeee my darrrlink, hic, arr gooing sking at chrissmaass hic'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, I think going through the ESF system is a good thing for the kids, as you describe, if they want to become good skiers and are keen. They have to reach prescribed standards and if they don't, they don't get the badge. Gold star is a great goal.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, if the ESF isn't a deal breaker, you could look at somewhere that'll be quite a bit quieter, e.g. Champoluc? PM en route
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
dsoutar wrote:
This. We've done Christmas in the Alps for at least 15 years and love it. We then have something which approaches a traditional Christmas Day with our family at another time, although that is getting increasingly difficult to find time for as I'm usually away for all of December.

Yep we;ll be having Christmas on 14th and Boxing Day 15th - will be full on dinner and family presents - Santa still makes it to the slopes though wink

Skiing Christmas day through to mid-afternoon, then afternoon of sledging and eating! We will freeze left over turkey and have a mini Christmas dinner
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
our son has spent every xmas on the snow, it makes for a wonderful break, a lot less stressful than being at 'home' can be a bit difficult at times with smuggling some pressies over, but we usually split it into two which the kids love as they end up having two christmas's, one there and one when we get back home. Id be really loath to swop back now (having said that weve still to book something for thsi xmas!! but then we usually wait for the ski show anyway)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Yep we;ll be having Christmas on 14th and Boxing Day 15th - will be full on dinner and family presents - Santa still makes it to the slopes though

Another vote for Christmas on the slopes. In our family, now, only tinies get Christmas presents. We've been kind of scaling down Christmas for years - when the youngest was old enough to understand (about 9) they opened a card with an "IOU" for a ski holiday in January. They were delighted, as we'd not been for a few years. Lots of nice food, a traditional cake, plenty to drink, getting together, walks (whether by the sea or in the snow), plenty of time for the kids. All that stuff but not lots of "pressies" (a pet hate, that word!).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iskar, we do the split present thing aswell. Last year we went to wifes parents in Germany after skiing so it got split 3 ways!

ansta1, thanks for elaborating on the esf. I knew they did levels and badges. Was wondering how it worked as the got a bit older and how long it went on for. And as you captured how structured it was.

Quote:

I need to make the decision soon, think tonight might be the night Now should I :-

go and get 'dinner for a £10' at M&S and some flowers
book a table somewhere nice
or
just stop off at the pub for a couple of hours 'dutch courage' and then fall through the door and announce 'weeee my darrrlink, hic, arr gooing sking at chrissmaass hic'

I've tried both, as I'm sure you have Laughing and you know if you do a) you'll feel cheated when she poo poo's the idea whereas with b) at least you get to enjoy yourself wink

I have a dilemma of my own tbh. Missus has to work first week schools break up before Easter and is questioning if we should ditch the second ski trip this year. Thought about taking the kids just myself or trying to resurrect "a boys trip". Or persuade to go the second week - 12th April. A bill for a few hundred quid to fix the heating hasn't helped matters rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

ansta1, thanks for elaborating on the esf. I knew they did levels and badges. Was wondering how it worked as the got a bit older and how long it went on for. And as you captured how structured it was.

There are options once past the gold star to continue the structured lessons, but I think these are designed more so for those that live close and get go regularly. My eldest is 12 and the youngest 8. If we do get to France this season the eldest will I think make the effort to get the gold so she can skip the structured lessons after that, this will undoubtedly cause a little tension with the youngest, but if she works hard she could have her gold in a week or three.

Quote:

I have a dilemma of my own tbh. Missus has to work first week schools break up before Easter and is questioning if we should ditch the second ski trip this year. Thought about taking the kids just myself or trying to resurrect "a boys trip". Or persuade to go the second week - 12th April. A bill for a few hundred quid to fix the heating hasn't helped matters

Boys trip sounds like a plan, do it on the cheap. I am sure Mr Warner could be tempted out... or maybe not.
snow conditions
Quote:

go and get 'dinner for a £10' at M&S

Gosh you know how to treat someone. Not.

If you want to impress, then either cook dinner properly or go to a restaurant (by which I do not mean Pizza Hut Laughing ) Alternatively, just ask the bloody question. What sort of dysfunctional relationship is it when you have to bribe your partner to discuss holiday plans? Puzzled
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

go and get 'dinner for a £10' at M&S

Gosh you know how to treat someone. Not.

If you want to impress, then either cook dinner properly or go to a restaurant (by which I do not mean Pizza Hut Laughing ) Alternatively, just ask the bloody question. What sort of dysfunctional relationship is it when you have to bribe your partner to discuss holiday plans? Puzzled

very!
snow conditions
anyone got any 'humour pills' someone may have forgotten theirs this morning..
ski holidays
Quote:
If you want to impress, then either cook dinner properly or go to a restaurant

We're married with children for heavens sake, get real rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Quote:

What sort of dysfunctional relationship is it when you have to bribe your partner

Normal - think there is a bit of bribery and brownie point earning in all relationships
ski holidays
Christmas will be her with the family:

http://www.chaletranjarde.com/

and with teenagers. Toofy Grin

Looking forward not to have christmas-stress! Very Happy
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Quote:

What sort of dysfunctional relationship is it when you have to bribe your partner

Normal - think there is a bit of bribery and brownie point earning in all relationships

Or to word it a nicer way - it involves lots of give and take.
snow conditions
NickyJ, indeed - as they say a good compromise leaves both sides dissapointed
ski holidays
Boris, that explains a lot. Happy
snow report
Quote:

to word it a nicer way - it involves lots of give and take

Agreed. On holiday plans, a compromise doesn't mean going somewhere nobody really wants, but maybe taking it in turns to make the big decisions?
ski holidays
Single. Took a vote and by 1-0 - i.e. unanimous skiing at Christmas wins. S*d the expense!
ski holidays
I'd absolutely love to go skiing at Christmas. Very jealous...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
go for it. Ten weeks tomorrow we are all off and starting to get oh so excited.
snow conditions
I love the 3Vs!!
latest report
Christmas in the UK it is then. Sad
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:

Bad news. New year?
snow report
ansta1 wrote:

Was the M&S meal deal not a hit then? Sad
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

bug i knew i had forgotten something..

still revenge is a dish best served cold and all that........
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
sarah wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

bug i knew i had forgotten something..

still revenge is a dish best served cold and all that........

You are supposed to COOK the M&S food....
snow report
I am still working on it.... No doesn't mean absolutely no..
snow report
No beaker for you tonight
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
No beaker for you tonight

maybe a beaker to myself in respect of a protest?
ski holidays
Ask her if you can go an a sH bash instead. Make sure she knows about the drinking and the orgies and the drinking and the ambulances and the drinking Toofy Grin
ski holidays
That's excellent news. If she'd said yes it would never have happened. At least now it's a possibility.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy