Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant in half a day.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're trying to get the most skiing possible out of our Christmas trip to France (10 days from 21st Dec).

The plan so far is:
Stay in Les Menuires for 7 nights from the 21st and ski the 3V until the 28th.
Move to a hotel near Albertville on the evening of the 28th for three nights and from there make two day trips to Plagne and Les Arcs on 29th and 30th.

Our flight from Geneva doesn't leave until 18:15 on the 31st so we got to thinking we could get an extra half day in somewhere on the way and Espace Diamant looks like it could be a good option.

I'm looking for a bit of advice from anybody who knows this area well. Where would be the best place to start from to ensure we can make the most of our half day? Somewhere with parking close to the lifts and that would give us the quickest access to some nice skiing? We are thinking maybe Crest Volland but as neither of us have ever visited this area before would appreciate some tips from any snowheads more familiar with the area.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swiftoid, Subject to snow cover I'd probably suggest that you park at Praz sur Arly. There's a big free car park close to the fast 6 man "Cret du Midi" chair and it's usefully closer to Geneva than Crest Voland. That lift has the advantage of being less busy at New Year than some parts of the Espace Diamant. From there, a lot would depend on snow cover - I'd be happy to advise nearer the time as I know the area well Would help to know what kind of skiing you were after.

If the route through the Gorge d'Arly is closed, the recommendation would change.....

If snow cover is good skiing at Combloux would also be a good half day option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swiftoid, If you are staying the night in Albertville then Crest-Voland would be the nearest point to park up, you should be able to park near to the ticket office at the Logere chairlift.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
If snow cover is good skiing at Combloux would also be a good half day option
Agreed. Easy return run to Geneva from there.

Good alternatives (again, subject to snow cover) are Les Houches and Les Carroz.

Nearest of all to Geneva are the ski areas of the Jura. We've previously skied an enjoyable (and very quiet) half day at the linked areas of Crozet/Lelex - which has 8 or 9 lifts, about 20 runs and a meaningful vertical of about 700m. Parking is at the gondola at Crozet, which is only about 12km from the airport (about 15 mins drive IIRC) - the line of the gondola is clearly visible from the airport runway Smile . Cheap lift tickets too.
http://www.monts-jura.com/en/prm/index.php?site=2
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, thanks. Basically I think we'll be looking for the option that will give us the opportunity to ski as many (on piste of any grade) runs in the area as possible in our very limited time. We'd like to get a good taster of what the area has to offer as it could potentially be a future trip in itself. We thought Crest Voland looked like it offered quite a lot of skiing relatively near by. Do you think lift queues would be a problem there at that time of the year? The last thing we want to be doing with our last day is spend it standing in queues or stuck on stupidly slow chairs!

I appreciate the offer to advise closer to the time. We will have wifi everywhere we're staying during the trip so it'd be good to get some on the ground information if you're around then as we will be pretty flexible as to where we go right up until we do go.

Combloux - never heard of it before tbh but just had a look and now and you've just given me something else to think about Very Happy

rjs, cheers. Is that free parking? (I'm a cheap Scot Embarassed )

I'm very excited about this trip. Looks like I'll be spending the last three days of 2013 skiing three places I've never been before. Can't think of any better way to say goodbye to the year Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swiftoid, It is free parking in Crest-Voland as well as in Praz sur Arly and Combloux.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, brilliant - thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

swiftoid, you will maximise your time on the snow if you minimise the time on the road. In terms of driving time Albertville - ski resort - Geneva Airport I think Praz sur Arly is most efficient (as the car park and lift are very near the main road through) followed by Combloux (short drive up to the car park and lifts). The other suggestions would all involve more driving time, overall.

Crest Voland is almost all easy skiing (though very nice). The link to Les Saisies (two drags at present) is being replaced by a chair for this season but the Saisies bowl will be the busiest part of the domain (everywhere is fairly busy at New Year!!). I'd suggest you spend your half day in Praz sur Arly and Notre Dame de Bellecombe, including the splendid ridge-top return from Notre Dame to Praz - it involves some poling and skating but is exceptionally beautiful and gives you a good feel for the area. The photo is taken from that route - looking towards Les Contamines.

It's a big area, you will only see a small part of it in half a day, but should give you a taster.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

There are some good lunch stops in Praz sur Arly - this is one. But they'll all be busy, and you'd need to stop early.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Nice view from the terrace of that one - and a panorama also from inside, if the weather is inclement.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again pam w, some great pictures. It does look lovely!

I think the plan would be to leave our hotel early and get there in time for first lift then ski for the four hours our pass gives us before thinking about lunch (which might well be some sandwiches we've already made in the car back to Geneva).

It's going to be a busy 10 days. This might be the first Hogmanay in living memory I've zonked out before midnight which is a disgrace for a Scotsman. Right up there with wearing pants under your kilt Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the plan would be to leave our hotel early and get there in time for first lift then ski for the four hours our pass gives us before thinking about lunch (which might well be some sandwiches we've already made in the car back to Geneva)

good plan. It's only 30 minutes from Albertville to Praz sur Arly, so should be easy enough. On paper the Evettes lift at Flumet is also a good bet but it's horrendously slow - the Cret du Midi is new and fast.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
On paper the Evettes lift at Flumet is also a good bet but it's horrendously slow - the Cret du Midi is new and fast.

Exactly the sort of local knowledge I was hoping to get. Many thanks Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just one question if you want to ski les arcs and la plagne wouldn't staying in bourg be a better
Option than Albertville?

Just saying!!

Andy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anderoo wrote:
Just one question if you want to ski les arcs and la plagne wouldn't staying in bourg be a better
Option than Albertville?

Just saying!!

Andy

found somewhere really really good in Bourg, but when you try and book for that week they'll only take bookings for 7 nights.

The process went:
a) where can we find a hotel with cheap rooms not too far from skiing
b) From there, where can we go skiing that we fancy that wouldn't be a long drive and would keep us fairly low if the weather was bad
c) answer champagny (for plagne) 48 minutes. peisey for Arcs 55 minutes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy