Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore lower shins - is it my ski boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two years ago I finally said goodbye to my beloved 15 year old Salomon boots (which had become alarmingly loose) and purchased Salomon idol CS 8s. I thought the lower shin pain was just part of breaking them in but the problem persists. I bought gel shin protectors in France this year (but potentially too late, area was inflamed and painful as hell) - this didn't seem to help much. I've heard shin complaints are common but higher up, my problem (on both legs, right side worse than left) is literally at the bottom: a ca. 7cm area upwards from my ankle. I took the boots to Snow & Rock who were kind enough to make some adjustments but after a full day skiing at Hemel I can tell I'm going to have the same issue again after 2 days on the mountain.

Are boots these days just not made with the same amount of padding as previously? Do I have the wrong type of boot and should I buy a new pair? Or was the French bloke right and I'm just skiing crap and leaning back too much? (although I have to lean back in the boot to reverse plough and skate uphill, which I tend to do a lot).

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be super grateful!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lily79, I'm sorry to hear this and it may not shed any light on your particular problem.Here's my story of woe. I also wrecked my shims ( another did to - he was around my age 45-50 ) L+R jumping around on a well known ski course. My injuries were higher up starting about 5 cm up the shin - blistered raw for 6~8cm. Wow how they hurt in the shower after skiing. When i was alot younger, err, say about 30, i could AND did seriously abuse my feet in snow boots without apparently a mark of any kind.
The chap in charge of the course said he'd never seen anyone bending the boots as i did and 'respect' referring to me as the 'good skier' to his gang of instructors all looking a bit sheepish. Personally, I HAVE TO BLAME MYSELF for taking a little information about forward boot lean and ABUSING IT! All i can advise is to make sure your boots are correctly fitted by an expert boot fitter and obviously the right size for you! Mine were wildly big but i never had a problem until i went jumping around on a ski coarse!
I have found that my skin prefers Shin protectors from Epitact ~2mm thick. The Snow Angels ~1mm thick, somehow give me a heat rash or similar - i have stupidly sensitive skin. Mad
Even though it's been 4 years now since the incident, even with Epitacts attached, if i don't have my boots properly, firmly clipped on, i can still get the occasional small blister on my shin which takes a few weeks to disappear. I've spent alot on getting the best fitting boot possible with canting shims and custom footbed etc BUT STILL I'm seriously considering some type of injected liner tongue to perfectly match my shin shape as a better solution due to this injury still being my biggest ongoing concern. So, summing up, improve your technique IF you think its less than perfect - ask someone you respect ( or a few) for their opinion on your technique and get your boots checked out. I really hope you have less of a problem than me. I'm completely clueless about Salomon idol CS 8s.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-10-13 18:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd see a bootfitter - i.e. someone more skilled than S and R. Could be a whole range of different things going on, some nothing directly to do with the shin, that cannot be diagnosed from the information in your post. My shin pain issues were a result of my feet over-pronating and were fixed by getting a footbed made but something different may well be going on with you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Any recommendations re. bootfitter?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM in Bicester or Profeet in Fulham. My preference would be the former having used both.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the help, much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lily79, I'd agree with gorilla with those recommendations. Not used Profeet (known to be good and obviously very established), instead i went to CEM (Colin) in Bicester, his website is 'Solutions4feet.co.uk'. Although for me it's a bit of a slap (journey i mean), the investment has mostly immediately paid off. Occasionally after a fitting it needs to be skied in to test the fit to find tight spots that can only be identified during actual skiing - unfortunately, it's another journey back there for a tweak, then... hopefully , perfection. Wishing your shins a speedy recovery...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla and Tim, my gratitude. I've contacted Profeet which is practically around the corner to me compared to Bicester (and I don't drive). Next stop Kaprun in Nov so eager to get this looked into before then Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice one lily79, let us know the outcome please.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would have recommended Colin who has sorted out my last few pairs. Shoe size difference. One wide, one narrow. Very small feet for a chap. No jokes please.
I am sure profeet should be able to get to the source of the problem. Hard to believe that its anything to do with your skiing. Possibly too narrow or is there is part of the structure rubbing. To get it there might also imply your foot isn't pulled back sufficiently into the heel. Let us know the outcome out of interest.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone! I've booked in for a (free) boot MOT with Profeet this Sat. Hoping I won't get told it's my German cankles .. Laughing and hopefully damage (to my wallet) will be minimal, either way I'll let you know
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy