Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tesco to offer £35 prescription ski goggles

Poster: A snowHead
In an unusual move into ski equipment, Tesco Opticians will offer prescription ski goggles this winter for £35 per pair. This presents a budget-price solution for those wanting to avoid 'over the glass' goggles.

The price includes standard single vision lens inserts, protecting against UVA and UVB rays.

This report from Ifyouski.com

It would be interesting to have comments from anyone who normally uses this type of goggle, and a comparison if you go to have a look at them (and even better, use them)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My girlfriend might be interested in this, but I followed the link to IYS and then to Tesco but they only seem to be advertising contact lenses. Maybe this product is not quite launched yet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suppose for Skiers 'every little helps' - Blush
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now I've read the piece in IfyouSki properly, the link was not to goggles but just to Tesco opticians. Anyone with a Tesco near them to checkout? I would be interested in a pair for emergencies.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, I'll look into it (excuse the pun) and let you know what I find.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tesco's did prescription lens goggles last year. They have a buy one get one fee offer at the moment which includes allowing prescription glasses and what the leaflet describes as "ski glasses (normally £35)". I'll check this out as I have just got a new prescription for driving glasses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I'd check it out but our friend ( a local optician who is about to lose his business to the new Teasco optician) would kill us. He does get us a nice price on Bolles though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
would they work properly? i have never needed glasses or lenes, touch wood. but wouldnt the distance from the eye to the goggle cause problems..?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good grief....I finally manage to get myself contact lenses that work just so Tesco can make them seem like poor value! No really....I'd be interested in them as a back up, our local Tesco doesn't have an opticians so it'd be useful to know if it would be worth travelling to get them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Though what happens when you take your goggles off to have lunch? You'd have to walk round in your goggles just to read menus. Doesn't affect me personally (so I may be missing the point), but it seems slightly impractical unless you're happy carrying glasses/contacts with you and swapping them over periodically.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CANV CANVINGTON, yes they do work properly. The distance from eye to prescription insert is about the same as eye to glasses would be. My local optician didn't charge much more than tescos anyway.

Helen101, depends how bad your eyesight is. I wear glasses to drive (and therefore ski) but can get around a mountain restaurant without problem. And even if you do have to swap goggles for glasses, you only stop for lunch once a day. And if you wear contacts you wouldn't bother with the inserts in the first place!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen101, Thank your lucky stars you've never sufferred from the nightmare that is changing from prescription sunnies, to glasses with goggles, ordinary glasses whilst in the self service queue, back to sunnies on the terrace and on and on all day long. Fogging, trying to de-fog and in the case of Mr HH coping with the horrendous whinging that starts when it all goes wrong, not to mention all the paraphenalia you have to take on holiday just to have a vague hope of being able to see on the slopes! Prescription goggles have always sounded like a great idea to me....but have been bit out of reach at over £100!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have recently purchased some shades Adidas E.E. Explorer, to ski, which have inserts. My prescription is too high to have lenses made, so clip in inserts are the only way. I also use goggles, Oakley L Frame, but I had a small specs frame made up with polarising lenses, and I use those under goggles. I always carry a spare pair of specs, having broken a pair many years ago and having to ski about 2 miles to the bottom of the mountain. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will the goggles fit over helmets I wonder?

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bucking bronco, Always worth taking the helmet with you and ignoring the funny looks which I inevitably get rolling eyes
ski holidays
homphomp wrote
Quote:

I finally manage to get myself contact lenses that work just so Tesco can make them seem like poor value!

Do you mind me asking what brand of contacts you wear and whether you wear them skiing?
The cost and faff of switching between specs & OT goggles and/or prescription sunglasses is really winding me up.
I've been looking and trying, but have yet to find contacts that I can wear rather than just tolerate!
snow report
Cany see it working for complex subscriptions. Mine would be about a foot 'n a half thick at the edges. Shocked
snow conditions
Manda, used to use Johnson & Johnson Acuvue, but changed to Specsavers Easyvision. Both seem fine for up to my wife's -3.0D prescription (as well as for my substantially weaker one).
latest report
Manda - don't know if you've tried Focus Dailies - but they're the brand I use and I completely forget about them being in.
Sometimes one might get dislodged if i rub my eyes or ski very fast - but I usually have a couple of spares in my pocket
snow conditions
I've got focus dailies and acuvue - again no issues and pretty comfy but they do fly out if you ski too fast in normal sunnies Happy Lensed goggles might be interesting though - my OH has lensed scuba goggles and they are fine - not half as thick as I was expecting (-4). Did anyone get a chance to look into them yet? The nearest one to me is cambridge which is a bit of a hike...
snow report
Get your eyes lasered and be done with faffing around!

Mind you, £35 is seriously good value, the Mrs got some Bolle ones done last year and it cost a small fortune.
snow conditions
Manda, Focus Dailies...I've had endless trouble finding ones to work in my wonky eyes! I can't wear hard lenses due to an allergy and my astigmatism has caused me problems, although it's not that severe there's sometihing about the way my eyes are made that has made finding disposable torics an absolute nightmare...these are the first I've tried that have settled properly, all the others used to switch focus points with every blink - makes for very interesting viewing of the world!! I have no idea if they're any good for skiing because I've only just had them fitted but I've used them for drinking and dancing in and that was ok
ski holidays
homphomp, F D's are fantastic for skiing in Smile
ski holidays
I took a look at these at my local Tesco Opticians yesterday. I guess you get what you pay for but they look a bit cheap and nasty. They have a mirrored lens, fairly thin foam and the strap is pretty long and should fit around goggles although the catch isn't very substantial. There's a (small) picture of them here http://www.ifyouski.co.uk/news/newsarticle/?ObjectID=7542515
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, that reminds me of the Billy Connolly joke about the guy driving with a prescription windscreen, dinner plate sized eyes and the resulting crashes as other drivers recoiled in horror. Could be interesting on the slopes.
snow conditions
Those are nice, but I think you should get these:

http://cyreport.com/a.asp?id=65

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Cany see it working for complex subscriptions. Mine would be about a foot 'n a half thick at the edges. Shocked

That's what I thought too. I am very short sighted ( Presciption -10.5 in left eye, -12.25 in right eye). I checked out the goggles at Tesco, and the optician said the inserts would be thick at the edge. I could have had the option of specifying the inserts to be made of special high refractive index plastic (as I have on my existing spectacles) - only drawback was that that would cost an additional £140 (total £175)Shocked
Since the goggles with the standard plastic inserts were only £35, I thought I would take a gamble and order them (my thinking was that if it turned out unsuitable, since the inserts are removable at least I could sell or give them as standard goggles to a friend.)
Anyway, I have just collected them today from Tesco (only took them 10 days from ordering). The good news is that although the inserts are 9mm thick at the edge, I can wear them comfortably without the edge of the inserts touching my face.
Therefore for £35 I am one happy customer Very Happy . Well done Tesco!
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Can you let me know which Tesco you got the goggles from? I phoned my nearest Tesco optician (Tesco) and they said my prescription was too high for them to make (approx -10.5 in each eye). I'm having problems with wearing contacts at the moment and want to get some goggles as a backup. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sue S, It was the one in Leicester (which is the closest branch of Tesco opticians to me in Derby)- although as I post this I am actually in Wengen NehNeh
snow report
And hopefully the goggles are working efficiently? Very Happy
latest report
Sue S, Belated reply (I'm now back home) - yes Very Happy
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Still haven't had any luck with Tescos. They say it's impossible to make the inserts to my prescription that they would be too thick and therefore dangerous. I told them that the Leicester store had arranged for an even stronger pair to be made and they checked with the lab who said it had never happened. It seems that you're hallucinating Puzzled Anyway, I've given up trying to persuade them and will just have to buy some to wear over my specs. Thanks anyway.
snow conditions
Sue S wrote:
Alastair Pink, . It seems that you're hallucinating Puzzled Anyway, I've given up trying to persuade them and will just have to buy some to wear over my specs. Thanks anyway.

Interesting - it appears I own a set of prescription ski goggles which don't exist Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy