Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria v France v Italy v Switzerland v Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
The standard advice to anyone going this side of Feb, is typically to go high and more typically to go high in France.

As this season develops, it would be good to compare what is open and the conditions across the main European countries to unscientifically dispel or prove the common-held theory that France is best for early skiing.

I have currently been researching Austria near to Salburg and know that piste conditions are reasonably good and Hintertux and Neustift both have about 40km of piste open at the moment. Other areas with a reasonable amount open (but unconfirmed as to exactly how much), include Solden, Piztal, Kaunertal and Obergurgl. Kaprun has only a few runs open.

What are the current situations in the other countries right now? How much is open and what are the conditions like?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, Val Thorens is supposed to open on Saturday - but it's a bit green at the moment!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I understand that Zermatt and Saas Fee are both open though only 26km and 20km respectively at the moment

Wengen will officialy open fully on the 17th of December but some parts may open earlier on weekends only if they get enough snow starting this weekend (which doesn't look likely at the moment)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-11-05 18:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, as the season develops I am of the opinion that high does not equal good. However, right now...

Not sure about the French bias - is that due to flight availability or something?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Wengen will officialy open fully on the 17th of December

Seems rather late but then I would never argue with our resident expert Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, not for christmas then?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, it's a bit of a lottery in many ways, I know that we've had snow in La Rosiere early season when there hasn't been enough snow to open Les Arcs, about 6kms away across the valley. I've also seen lots of storms hitting Val d'Isere and Tignes which have never got to us, about 20 kms directly away. I've come to the conclusion that mountain weather is very localised and even if you understand where it's likely to happen it doesn't mean that it follows a discernable pattern. One of my friends in the village has been collecting snow statistics since the 1960s and from looking at his data, I'm more convinced than ever that weather is random. OK, you'll get a number of major storms which deliver the bulk of the snowfall, but they are usually very few, they usually occur at the same period, but in terms of how long they stay and what the results are, that's anybody's guess. There are, however, a few areas, where because of terrain, conditions etc. you're more likely to get snow than other areas and in France that tends to be in the Northern Alps at high level. 75% of all snow fall in the French Alps is in the Northern Alps, I'll let you draw your own conclusion.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, yes, I don't think that I expressed mysef clearly in the opening thread. I think that there is a strong bias on this site to recommend French high resorts opposed to Austrian or Swiss ones. On other threads people have also quoted publications which suggest that the Austrian snow record is unreliable.

I personally don't uphold these views and would be interested to see what actually happens over the initial few weeks of the early part of this season. I realise that looking at one season is unscientific and probably unrepresentative, but I am just hoping that people humour me in this and show what is open and how much is available to ski on week by week.

It would be good if anyone has up to date info on Tignes or Les Deux Alpes. Or any of the Italian resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, I know it's been a couple of days, but I report every time there is anything to report. Otherwise I could just say "no change, lovely weather but much colder" for today!! rolling eyes rolling eyes

D G Orf, that's dreadful! Shocked All those years of ski-ing at Christmas with loads of the stuff. I'm really shocked. that's nearly 2 months later than us - how do the locals make a living? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now how did that happen Confused I was sure I wrote December Embarassed In fact I must have, look see even Frosty has it right Shocked wink Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I do look at your report, but you don't actually say how much is open at the moment. It would be useful to know how many pistes are in use or the approximate km that is skiable or how far down is open. Just for a comparison with other areas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They are starting the winter season with a live concert situated at Eigerhubel (near the train station Wengen) with the band called 'Hamschter'

Wengen tourism are making the most of the Telegraph Travel awards by stating it on the posters ' BEST Ski resort Telegraph Travel awards 2005'
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My own impression and it is just an impression wholly unscientific from reading snow reports down the years and talking to people who visit the resorts is: That for early snow to resort level the best places seem to be Western most Austria and Eastern Switzerland. In any one year though where the early snow falls is a lottery. Obviously glaciers provide a guarantee but I have lost several days skiing to storm bound mountains in high resorts and I have so far not lost a day to lack of snow in a low resort. I did though cancel at the very last minute a trip to Serre Chevalier at Easter where the reports were very marginal. Went to Haute Maurrienne instead where conditions were better though not great in Val Cenis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's supposed to be snow coming in the next few days. Snow-forecast.com is predicting Austria will see the best of it (so it will probably dump in Greece wink )

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/alps_3days.shtml
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, if Austria does get the snow promised where would be the best place for a short trip via Friedrichshafen? The issue with Friedrichshafen is onward connection which seems to take 3-4 hours wherever you go, I don't think there is a cheaper route to the Alps mind!
snow report
lisach, stop hijacking my thread!!!

Have you looked here http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.php?partner=SKISITE
snow conditions
D G Orf, You dog Shocked
ski holidays
lisach wrote:
DB, if Austria does get the snow promised where would be the best place for a short trip via Friedrichshafen? The issue with Friedrichshafen is onward connection which seems to take 3-4 hours wherever you go, I don't think there is a cheaper route to the Alps mind!

Friedrichshafen is good for St Anton (ca 1.5 hrs) but I'm pretty sure it's too early yet.

Solden & Neustift ca 3 hours
Hintertux ca 4:15
Kaprun ca 4:30 via Munich

Austrian Resort Snow levels

If it was me I'd keep a close eye on exactly where the snow falls and then make a decision. I'd pick Solden or Neustift at the moment.
snow report
Ray Zorro, yes I have looked there but the fact remains that Ryanair do not really help themselves by not giving better information about onward connections. Yes there are options via the main station in Friedrichshafen but it takes as long to get going to the resort as it does for the flight from England! A bus to the main resorts would be good, but I can't seem to find decent info.

I (like you I think) am looking at a number of short trips this year and want to maximise the time in resort. Driving worries me in the case of very bad weather.
snow report
lisach, why Friedrichshafen? If you don't have other reasons for going via Friedrichshafen then there are better alternatives for that corner of the world! Zürich for one, and Munich or even Innsbruck for another.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, I agree. I have seen all sorts of everything. It's a question of increasing probabilities and for better early season snow I believe you're better higher. However...anything can happen!

Not much help really is it?
snow report
Mike Lawrie, to be honest its far cheaper Embarassed ! I don't mind wasting £50pp if there is no snow but I would if I had paid a higher fare to the places you mention. I will check Munich though as to be honest I had not considered that to date.
latest report
Alastair wrote:
Ray Zorro, Val Thorens is supposed to open on Saturday - but it's a bit green at the moment!

26th at the earliest for Val Tho, there may be a couple of flakes on Thursday.
ski holidays
lisach, there are a number of places within a reasonably short train ride from Salzburg. Although flights to Salzburg are sometimes a little more expensive, I understand that Austrian train fares are very reasonable so the overall cost fo flight + train transfer would be good.
snow conditions
D G Orf, do you know if anything is open in Andermatt or Flims/Laax as I know they sometimes open early.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Flims/Laax is currently closed, The Glacier was due to open three weeks ago but there is no snow. The Webcam showed a light dusting last nite. This is the first time in the past eight years that the Glacier is not open at this time of year.
snow conditions
Andermatt is also shut
latest report
I've never seen the webcams in Cervinia showing so little snow. I hope conditons improve soon. It's all very worrying for those awaiting an early season departure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, none of the above .... obviously the place for early season snow is cairngorm!!
latest report
Drove back from Hintertux to Salzburg yesterday evening and there was heavy snow at times. Made driving conditions very difficult, lorries were sliding and the road was completely covered in snow in areas.

There had been snow wednesday and thursday and it snowed almost all friday at Hintertux and there was snow all the way back down the valley as far as Mayhofen and beyond, so not sure what elevation that is but I would guess it was about 1200?

The glacier area isn't completely open but there is a good amount of skiing available. The new snow is helping and in places conditions are great, but in other areas it is very hardpacked below the top covering. They obviously need loads more, but it is a start at least.
snow report
Ray Zorro, I hope that the continuous snow did not make the glacier a bit of a white out exp. The drive to Salzburg reads like a bit of a nasty, I am surprised that locals and the authorities were not better prepared. Maybe it was the wrong type of snow wink
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, that's 'cos we open on 26th November. Nothing running right now - just getting in the mood! I week to go!! Very Happy
snow report
Mayrhofen is about 500m so if you have snow down to there that is very encouraging for the area right now...
ski holidays
Temperatures are also very low which means that there should be lots of snowmaking going on in Austria also. Most larger resorts have good coverage in Austria regarding snow making. Not sure about other countries.
snow conditions
http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/alpssnow_next3days.shtml

Looking very good for Salzburg area.

Following dumps are forecast over the weekend ...

Kaprun 60 cm +
Bad Hofgastein 70 cm +
Saalbach 60 cm +
Zell am Zee 70 cm +
latest report
DB, yeh, I'm off the Gastein valley and Saalbach this season. But can we not tell anyone else about all this snow please, I want some to still be there in a month!!
snow report
hayley t,

Don't worry I think most of 'em are off to France or Wengen anyway.
snow conditions
hayley t, Good point. Now there is snow, I'm worried about it getting worn out! snowHead snowHead
latest report
DB, that's true and fine by me!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy