Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai Valley Hut to Hut Ski Tour - All Places Now Filled

Poster: A snowHead
I originally posted this in Solo Skiers v Groups but am moving it to see if it sparks any interest....I've also included a bit more info. re. possible costs etc.

Mrs MA and I have booked an (english speaking)Austrian mountain guide for five days ski touring/four nights in mountain huts from Mon 31st March to Fri 4th April 2014 Smile. The starting/meeting point for the ski tour will be Neustift in Stubaital, which is half an hour from Innsbruck but is also easily reached from Munich.

As the max group size for the guide is five, and us being quite sociable types, are there any ski touring couples/singles out there who might fancy joining us and sharing the guide cost of €285 a day? Payments on top of the guide's fee will be:

- Travel to Austria.
- Transfers to Stubai Valley.
- Hire of ski touring kit (if needed it's available in Neustift).
- 4 nights half board in mountain huts.
- The costs of the guides' hut acommodation/food (shared between the group).
- Any village accommodation before or after the ski tour.

The guiding company has advised that any safety equipment required - ie transeiver, shovel, probe, crampons and ice axe - will be provided by them free of charge, which is excellent.

By our reckoning, the total cost will be substantially cheaper than booking a package with someone like the Ski Club of GB, which usually comes in at £1000 - £1200 per person for something similar.

In terms of daily itinerary, we're not looking at anything radical or extreme - just a nice hut to hut tour hopefully taking in some easy summits. Route choice will be left up to the guide. We typically climb at around 300m an hour, with up to 1200m climbing in a day. We've previously done one five-day Alps ski tour, two shorter ones plus a fair few day tours in Scotland and the North Pennines - but overall are still relatively new to hut to touring.

Obviously you'd be free to do your own thing outside of the ski tour but our itinerary is pencilled in as follows:

- Easyjet to Innsbruck from Liverpool (£70 ea. return earlier this week).
- Out early on Sun 30th March, back on the morning of Sun 6th April.
- One day on piste both before and after the ski tour (ie on Sun 30th Mar and Sat 5th April).
- 1 night in Neustift before the ski tour (Meet the guide and sort kit the same night).
- 2 nights (location to be confirmed) back in civilisation after the tour.

If any queries or interest, please give us a shout Smile .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-12-13 15:30; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi I am interested and will consider joining the tour
Few question please have you tour with the guide before, and how old is the guide (approx)
I changed from skiing to ski touring around 10years ago and been touring every season for around 10/15 days give or take
Would have no problem accenting 1000m daily, depending how fast is the skinning pace
However, I am now 65years old ( ski fit )
What do you think?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a quick look at this and shock horror the Easyjet flights are currently well over £200 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Going to go and see if they are any other options
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live down south so look at flight from London Saturday flight is too expensive but Sunday flight and Monday flight return is around 150ish but when adding cost of rucksag and skis would be round 200
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goldfish888, alas the saving for a Monday return is negated by two extra nights accom Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guess you are right, may be Friday late flight will check in out and see
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses and interest in joining our planned ski tour. In reply to your queries:

Goldfish888:
1. The guide: We have not used the guide before, so don't have any details I'm afraid. However, my brother and sister in-law ski toured last winter with the owner of the guiding company and said that he was outstanding in terms of attitude, personality, friendliness and overall helpfulness. Sadly, we were a bit stuck on dates due to work and the guide in question was unavailable. However, he did tell my brother that he only employs nice guides who share his outlook and approach - so we have booked on that basis (fingers crossed).
2. Climbing rate: I'm nearly 51 and Mrs MA nearly 49 - so I don't think we are whippet-like in terms of ascent speed. As I mentioned in my original post, we generally climb at about 300m an hour, including stops. We've usually previously done around 1000m climbing per day but on our last tour (Silvretta), we did do over 1100m on one day. Does that all sound like a possible goer for you Goldfish888?

andyman/Goldfish888:
Dunno what's going on with the Gatwick easyjet return leg flight price - it's astronomical Confused - Innsbruck flights are still £75 all in from Liverpool and £111 (Sun to Sun) from Bristol....Could any of them be possible (eg car share if you're both up for the trip?).

Alternatively, if you were to fly with easyjet elsewhere other than Innsbruck (given the good public transport links), Stansted to Munich is currently around £100-£115, depending on dates; and Luton to Zurich is £98.

In terms of baggage costs, we've paid to check in in one ski bag (2 pairs) but will be taking the rest of our kit (inc. boots) as hand luggage in the rucksacks that we'll use as our touring packs. We do have (boot) crampons, ice axes and harnesses but are going to borrow the same from the guide (as well as transceivers, shovels and probes) to save on luggage space.

Any more queries, please give us a shout Smile.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi , having added up all the cost involved I am afraid I have decided not to join in as it will consume a sizeable sum off my seasonal budget . I am 15min away from gatwick the only sensible airport to fly out/in and cost flying out that said period is just too high. regards
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, Meeting up with jude1 this weekend to look into this in more detail. Fingers crossed the logistics work out as this is something I'd really like to do. Sorry about delay.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No problem Goldfish888. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. Enjoy your winter wherever you end up!

Cheers andyman. It would be good to have some company - so great if you can make it.

Updates from our end are:

- Guide company boss has said it would be good if we could go to his office in central Neustift the night before the tour (ie on Sun. 30 Mar) to meet our guide, sort loan kit and discuss plans for the week.
- No deposit required - just pay at the end of the ski tour.
- Public transport options researched - Very regular buses from Innsbruck to all points in the Stubai Valley. 50-60 mins to Neustift by bus; tram option available to/from Fulpmes; taxi around €50 each way (via online quote - though my brother advised that his group of 4 paid nearer €35 last April by just jumping in a taxi at the airport). Regardless, it all looks fairly straight forward.
- Bed and breakfast booked in Neustift (€63/double) for first night (30 Mar). Sorted via Booking.com - pay when you arrive at the digs.
- Posh-looking Gasthof booked (Booking.com again) in Fulpmes for last 2 nights of the trip - 4 & 5 Apr - (£82/double/B&B) EDIT: Should have read 82...As mentioned, we plan to ski at Schlick 2000 (at Fulpmes) on 5 Apr and then fly home on the morning of 6 Apr.

And finally, for your info, here's the guiding company website:

http://www.freeridecenter-stubai.com/off-piste/?lang=en

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 22-10-13 21:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, I know Patrick, the guy who runs that company - good set up and a really nice guy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 Yeah, it was Patrick who my brother and sister in law used last winter. As per my earlier post, they were really impressed. He's been really helpful in my e mail and text dealings with him Smile.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the PM andyman - I've just responded.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good news Very Happy. Looks like we'll be joined on the ski tour by andyman and his friend Jude (sorry Jude...I don't know your snowHead username...)

My e mail is playing up Jude - I'm having trouble with attachments Confused - so here are a few pics to (hopefully) whet your appetite, as promised:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 2-11-13 15:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, that'll be Jude1!

Yes plans all coming together, hotels sorted both before and after tour. Just finalising transport which will be rail via Paris and Innsbruck. Big decision is just how greedy we are in terms of extra days before/after tour Very Happy

Pictures are fantastic and would have sold trip ( had it needed selling wink )

Now need to dust off skins and start walking up the hill on the PSB2013, something I have not done on that trip before! Expect will also try and fit some other ad hoc days over the next few months.
snow report
Thank andyman. Position noted re. Jude1!

I omitted a photo of typical hut sleeping quarters, so have now included it above.

By the way, I have just had a PM from another interested snowHead - making a possible total of five for the tour (which is the max group size). Nothing definite at this stage but that would, of course, make it even cheaper still wink - and could go towards funding some of your extra days Smile. On that front, is it definitely just the two of you? (As you had initially mentioned the possibility of a third person coming with you.)

Cheers.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, yup, just the two. I did check if the notorious Zombie Si would be joining us (Jude1s soulmate) but he unfortunately can't make it.

Piccy makes the hut look pretty luxurious given its location!
ski holidays
mountainaddict, andyman, I won't be able to get the time off to join you on the tour, but if you have days skiing each side it would be cool to hook up at some point.
snow conditions
Cheers clarky999 - that could be a possibility Smile. As mentioned, our plan is to ski on arrival day (we land at Innsbruck at 09.50) and we then have one full day after the ski tour.
snow report
clarky999, I know you are in Japan in January when we're out but be great to see you when we're in Vorarlberg/ Arlberg in March......8-15 in Warth, 15-22 St Anton, doing some decent day tours.....save those 3 days on your pass! Also Cham weekend 20/22 Dec?

mountainaddict, sorry for jumping on your thread, sounds like a great 5 days you are pulling together, would love to join you but no holiday free for next season, doing some hut to hut walking next summer in Arlberg and maybe further east. Enjoy it.
latest report
Markymark29, won't be able to do Cham, but will definitely see you in the Arlberg at some point!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 3-11-13 13:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Wow, that looks fantastic. Wish my skiing - and fitness - were up to this sort of thing.

andyman, have been very worried about Zombie Si, all the evidence (including the fact that there's been a PM to him stuck in my outbox for 5 months) points to his work getting in the way of his skiing. Shocked Not good! Sad
snow report
Pedantica, au contraire!

Yes the work commitment looks to prevent him coming along to this tour (doesn't it look fantastic Smile ) but he has firm plans in place for most other bashes. As no doubt with the errant PM, he does tend to leave the admin side of the booking process to dadmin (or others!) so it's not always apparent that he is lurking and indeed aware Cool

By the way, plenty of time between now and then to up your fitness and who knows you could join us Smile (I see you will be in Arabba but not PSB Sad )

Now I must sort my camera out so I can try and capture some images like the fantastic ones above!
latest report
Well, after a slow start, my thread has generated a bit of interest in our little ski tour. Thanks to all.

Maybe regular ski tour arranging via Snowheads could be the way forward? Now that we're up to four participants (Me, Mrs Mountainaddict, Andyman and Jude1) - and possibly five if AN Other joins us after expressing an interest - it's all going to work out comparatively cheap Smile . It looks like we'll be looking at £500-£600 per person, compared to £1000 - £1200 each if we booked a similar trip with Ski Club of GB, Jagged Globe etc.

No prob re. the thread Markyhijackermark29! I see that you are in North Yorks - we're in Stockton and just off out mountain biking on the North York Moors shortly (Gusiborough Woods? Danby? Further east? Spoilt for choice on such a gorgeous day Smile) . Do you know the Lordstones Cafe at Carlton Bank? We were in there yesterday after its total re-build - it could now well be Britain's poshest tea room! And do you ever go up to Scotland to ski? We do. Lots Very Happy.
snow report
andyman, fair enough. In that case, he's just got no manners!

Sadly, couldn't do those dates even if I were sufficiently fit and competent - singing in a concert on 4 April.

mountainaddict, Apologies for thread drift. This trip looks amazing - enjoy!
latest report
No probs Pedantica.

LATEST UPDATE: ONE PLACE STILL AVAILABLE ON THE SKI TOUR
Our potential fifth ski tourer (and fellow snowHead) is very interested in joining us but is unable to commit to the trip until they sort out a work-related matter in December.

Very kindly, they have said that if someone else wants to commit 100% at this stage then they are ok with that.

Anyone fancy it? (Subject to being ok with our trip plans/rate of ascent etc as shown below:)

Quote:
In terms of daily itinerary, we're not looking at anything radical or extreme - just a nice hut to hut tour hopefully taking in some easy summits. Route choice will be left up to the guide. We typically climb at around 300m an hour, with up to 1200m climbing in a day. We've previously done one five day Alps ski tour, two shorter ones plus a fair few day tours in Scotland and the North Pennines - but overall are still relatively new to hut to touring.

Cheers Smile.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, yep, great mountain biking yesterday, cold and windy but nice to get amongst the mud again! Don't travel far for my biking, mostly within 20 miles, no need to go to Scotland it's all around here! Toofy Grin
snow report
Markymark29, The query about Scotland was re. skiing(!) - not biking! We're champing at the bit looking at the snowy webcams at the moment!
Yesterday (given the ferocious wind) we ended up biking at Hamsterley Forest. It was relatively dry on the trails so a great afternoon out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, oh durr! Not done any skiing in Scotland for 15 years, main issue is time to get there after work on a Friday and to beat the crowds we'd need to be off super early on a Saturday which makes it difficult. On a £/ day basis it's darned expensive....fuel/ hotels etc, tend to do longer trips to the Alps where it's more snow sure and can plan a bit better. Be interested in a few tips, maybe I'm looking at it too pessimistic?
snow report
The thing with Scotland is, when it's good it's very very good - but when it's bad....Hmmm!

However, overall, Scotland is reasonably snow sure. Over the years, there is generally snow cover - and skiing - anytime from early December (and in many years at Cairngorm, from November) through to April and beyond. The big issue is the wind - which means that it's best to never plan too far ahead but pencil in going before making a last minute decision based on the weather forecast.

Having said that, historically, I think that Cairngorm's ratio of stormbound days is around 1 in 8 - though it is frustrating when those coincide with weekends after a storm-free working week Confused .....

From where we are (Stockton) we've set off as late as 8pm on a Friday night, then stayed at a Perth Travelodge. That takes about three and a quarter hours, with it being about 75 - 90 mins to Cairngorm on the Saturday. Yes, it can be busy on weekends - but the full car parks, rammed slopes and mega lift queues that you may recall from 15 years ago are fairly rare these days - otherwise we wouldn't keep going back. In any case, Glencoe and Nevis Range seem to never be as busy as Cairngorm and Glenshee.

In case you don't know it already, the following is the oracle in terms of ski Scotland info:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

For Hotels in the Highlands, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Laterooms.com are worth a look - we've had last minute rooms from as little as £30 for a double and generally around £50-55 if you stay away from the slopes somewhere like Newtonmore (Quidco cashback on all those sites - and Travelodge - too wink ) There is often four of us who travel up together - but we'd be happy to give you a lift/share fuel costs if you were available and we had space in the car.

Or, much nearer home, have you tried Weardale or Yad Moss in the North Pennines? In decent snow, both are excellent for what they are - great little ski areas very near to home.
snow report
mountainaddict, thanks for the above, will keep a close eye on it and maybe give it a try this season
snow report
mountainaddict,

"There is...four of us"

Really? Is you all good skiers? wink Puzzled
latest report
Bergmeister
Quote:
"There is...four of us"
Fair dos.....(and yes you is a cheeky tw@ Toofy Grin !)
snow report
Thanks to all Snowheads who expressed an interest in joining our Stubaital ski tour in March/April 2014. We have now managed to fill all five places (ie the maximum number for the guide) and the tour group will comprise:

Mountainaddict
Mrs Mountainaddict
Andyman
Jude1
Nevis1003

Great stuff Very Happy
latest report
mountainaddict, thought I would give a (very) brief update on prep for this. After the birthday bash, I now have a full three weeks of skiing in my legs which not only include 4 days on tele but critically a couple of days skinning!!! (Not a lot I hear you cry, but important I tested kit and technique!)

The first morning of only 180m climbing to the top of Burz in Arabba taught me a great deal not least 1) don't get overheated and 2) make sure you're bindings are locked fully open ( one had not and aside from annoying clicking, the heel riser would not lock in up position!)

Couple of days later, courtesy of the lift system being closed ( well documented in Birthday Bash thread) I set out to skin up to the top of Plan Boe. My two experienced colleagues were great to be with but the first lesson I learnt was to go at my pace not that of the other two (younger, fitter and much more experienced!)

As soon as I had my pace sorted it actually became a really enjoyable experience. My lessons from earlier bode well, better clothing to control overheating, bindings set correctly and performing faultlessly, when to traverse and when to go direct etc. I also thoroughly enjoyed some testing on differing gradients to see just how steep the skins would hold - and learnt that on very steep unless the one ski sits fully flat on the skin you WILL slide backwards Shocked bit of a shock when that first happened!!!

So 400m vertical, conditions inclement and new muscles tested we got to the top. All well and pleased with the test morning. ( and the bonus of the closed restaurant at the top inviting us in for a coffee with the pistuers!)

A few more days like these are planned and I have a week in Italy coming up before our adventure but these two days have given me the confidence to really start looking forward to our adventure - can't wait Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Great stuff Andyman - keep up the good work! It all comes with practice! Don't worry about the pace - we've always found that guides don't tend to overdo it - not too quickly but a sustained pace, which suits us fine. Anyway, we're very relaxed about it all.

In terms of clothing and overheating - it should hopefully be fairly mild by the time we go at the end of March. We usually just wear shell jacket and trousers (both Goretex) over base layers - & have found that fine on previous Feb and March ski tours

Also really looking forward to the trip - the touring and the mountain hut experience is a totally different (but fantastic) way to be in the mountains. The whole wilderness aspect, away from civilisation for 4 or 5 days, is just brilliant. Can't wait!

We are aiming to do a warm up ski tour in Scotland on Thurs of this week (possibly Cairngorm)....weather permitting.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy