Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Good Nutrition & Hydration Actually Make a Difference On The Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Found This on my Facebook page today

Does Good Nutrition & Hydration Actually Make a Difference On The Slopes?

Your safety isn’t just about the best equipment to help keep you safe, it's also about looking after your body nutritionally to ensure your fit & healthy with enough energy to enjoy your ride.

When you're on the slopes you need overall strength, a good level of fitness,good nutrition & hydration to help prevent injuries, keep you well, give you enough energy & if you want to achieve that competitive edge needed for peak performance you will have to have a plan in place.

No matter what level of skier or boarder you are, you should be thinking about food & hydration.

How many times in the season do you see someone being taken off the slopes on a stretcher? Was it something that could have been avoided? Were they fit & healthy or was this just par for the course- which is fair enough this is what can happen.
OR was this something that could have been avoided? Were they tired? Perhaps they didn’t fuel themselves sufficiently. Were they dehydrated?
Just because we’re in a cold climate doesn't mean to say we don't sweat, skiing involves lots of directional changes & heightened levels of muscle strength & stamina. We all sweat on the slopes (to varying degrees depending on the individual) & can lose a considerable amount of fluid & electrolytes. This will be compounded if you were not adequately hydrated before we started.
If your overweight your carrying extra ballast, this can have an impact on your skiing. Those extra pounds might mean you are less flexible in movement & will put more pressure on your joints.
Think about your nutrition & hydration, Don't let an uneccesary injury happen just because you didnt eat or drink properly. Now your out for the rest of your holiday or if your really unlucky the rest of the season.

TOP TIPS
1.Being dehydrated, or not fuelling yourself properly can have an affect on your safety - don’t spoil your season.

2. Eat a balanced diet - most of the time!
To ski consistently, you need to provide a good supply of high quality energy to your muscles. The easiest way to do this is to eat a balanced healthy breakfast & continue eating a variety of good healthy foods throughout the day.

3. Carbohydrate is your friend: Carbohydrate in the form of glycogen is the main fuel that makes exercise possible, so adequate carbohyrates need to be eaten each day if you want to ski consistently.

4. Proper hydration: Start the day sufficiently hydrated & drink regularly when you are out there (we are not talking about alcohol here!). The amount of fluid you need will vary depending on your exercise intensity, duration & even the weather.

5.Try to maintain a healthy weight.

Get ready for a great season.

Audrey Rodger Nutrition (Facebook)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-10-13 19:22; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redrunmarcus, Hardly rocket science. If you are too fat, get no exercise and drink too much on your ski holiday you are more likely to hurt yourself.

Would you pay somebody to fix your nutrition if they couldn't spell or use apostrophes but didn't have the wit to consult someone who could? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I have underestimated the impact of dehydration. I can go for a long run in 30 degrees - but I have been caught out with altitude dehydration, patricularly on day 1 and if I have had early morning flight. Yes I think a lot of substance here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Re nutrition: at homw I eat big breakfasts. In mountain I am always nauseated when I wake up and have big trouble eating, and I am believer in getting calories in early. Not sure is this an altitude effect or just bad food
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hydration is about the most important thing, You have to be really pushing yourself for diet to make a real difference.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the most frequent cause of dehydration amongst yer average ski holiday person is probably over-indulgence in alcohol. But yes, it does make sense to have a big glass of water before you go out in the morning and an even bigger one when you get back in the evening.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redrunmarcus, Found that on my Facebook as well, thought it was the usual Facebook spam.
Ironically my 88 year old mother has been advised to drink more water and she doesn't ski wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
the most frequent cause of dehydration amongst yer average ski holiday person is probably over-indulgence in alcohol. But yes, it does make sense to have a big glass of water before you go out in the morning and an even bigger one when you get back in the evening.

and top up regularly throughout the day.....especially on warmer days
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
pam w wrote:

and top up regularly throughout the day.....especially on warmer days

You mean top up with water, or with booze?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead,

Best play safe and do both.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use a camel back system to keep hydrated. Good breakfast and a stock of dried fruit in the rucksack keep my energy levels up. Nothing wrong with a pint at lunchtime if you are generally doing the right things.
My rule about alcohol in the evening after skiing is not so much that you feel it the next morning. It's the same rule at home. On average I only touch booze once or twice a week in the Uk. It ends up being every night in resort but rarely more than 2 or 3 pints or the equivalent. Drinking lots of water over dinner helps against the dehydration and aids a good night's sleep. A good rule of thumb I find is once you feel the alcohol is affecting you stop and drink water. Obviously it all goes out the window sometimes but I tend to regret it the next morning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As far as I can see modern thinking has gone back to the original thinking for most people . If you feel thirsty drink.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As far as I can see, numbers 1 to 4 = More beer (hey, it's 95% water)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think of water and exercise as food groups in your diet.
Water. Water helps flush our systems of waste products and toxins, yet many people go through life dehydrated—causing tiredness, low energy, and headaches. It’s common to mistake thirst for hunger, so staying well hydrated will also help you make healthier food choices.

Exercise. Find something active that you like to do and add it to your day, just like you would add healthy greens, blueberries, or salmon. The benefits of lifelong exercise are abundant and regular exercise may even motivate you to make healthy food choices a habit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm with swiller, and on holiday not racing.
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
As far as I can see modern thinking has gone back to the original thinking for most people . If you feel thirsty drink.

This ^^^

And beer DOES provide hydration Madeye-Smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:

You are on holiday with Swiller Shocked

You are DG and I claim my £5.00
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

You are DG and I claim my £5.00
Toofy Grin

Laughing
snow report
just my opinion ......

Eating carbs alone (esp high sugar carbs) could send your sugar levels right up only for them to crash down later, energy from low carb sources nuts etc helps avoid this.

Carbs may be needed to replace energy burned but your body will want to repair itself overnight while you sleep. At the end of the day you will also need protein for this repair process not just carbs. As you sweat you lose water and sodium. If you don't replace the sodium but just drink then your body will get rid of the water in an attempt to maintain sodium levels. Ever had a day where you are thirsty, drinks loads but it just passes straight through?

I tend to take salted nuts and MM's (which I eat a few at a time through out the day) plus a lot to drink with a pinch of sea salt in it which works well for me.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445772-how-much-sodium-is-lost-during-exercise/
snow report
We were advised to combat the effects of altitude by always drinking 2 drinks when you have a drink which isn't water.. so a coffee and a water, (2 coffees must involve 2 waters and then a trip to the loo...) a beer and same volume of water, for kids 2 different colours of squash, or milk, hot chocolate.....seems to work. And I never, ever leave the apt without checking that everyone has a chocolate bar or kendal mint cake or something similar in their pocket/bag and a decent breakfast inside.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Filthyphil30k wrote:

He's always very gentle.
snow report
Laughing
ski holidays
It is amazing the difference keeping topped up with liquid makes to ones level of concentration. I really noticed the improvement as an archer over a day long shoot, being able to concentrate and focus more for longer made a noticeable improvement in my scores. If you really want to see the effect of different drinks in sport, check out the australian sport institute website, but water is good, with the obvious note about sodium that DB has already made.
snow conditions
You only have to watch darts to know that.
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
You only have to watch darts to know that.

http://youtube.com/v/pgap_CzceBM
latest report
I am not sure how much exercise folk are doing that they require all this salt. Most Western diets contain far more salt than is necessary even for people who exercise heavily. I used to live in the tropics and regularly go hill walking which was far more energetic than a day on skis unless you are touring where the lifts do all the work. Used to drink a lot of water but a normal diet supplied all the salt needed.
snow conditions
Quote:

you need to provide a good supply of high quality energy to your muscles

So none of that low quality energy that you get from sausages. Or possibly snake oil. Laughing
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
I am not sure how much exercise folk are doing that they require all this salt. Most Western diets contain far more salt than is necessary even for people who exercise heavily. I used to live in the tropics and regularly go hill walking which was far more energetic than a day on skis unless you are touring where the lifts do all the work. Used to drink a lot of water but a normal diet supplied all the salt needed.

Yes but you are probably fit and don't get tanked up at Apres ski peeing away gallons every night. snowHead

(I go touring and find a pinch of sea salt in my drink helps).

PS Is Nutella high or low quality energy?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB,
Quote:

(I go touring and find a pinch of sea salt in my drink helps).

I'm a great believer that if something works for you don't change it particularly on the say so of some idiot on the internet. However in general I would say that most tourers that I have met have their butties stuffed full of either cheese or processed meat and a pinch of sea salt in their drink will make no measurable difference to their sodium intake.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
most tourers that I have met have their butties stuffed full of either cheese or processed meat

..... were they French? Did they also have a picnic blankett and a nice wine to wash it down? wink or are they just Scots saving a few bob snowHead

Here in Austria we generally get up the mountain, ski down and then stuff ourselves with schnitzel and germknödel. If I ate a significant meal on the mountain while touring I'd probably see it twice.

For normal exercise routines I'd exgree extra salt shouldn't be required but for many hours or very intense exercise it works for me.
If I don't take the salt in the drink I tend to be writting my name in the snow all too often. Most People have to work to pay for ski holidays, they can't be exerising for hours on end but then 6 days after another they are pushing their bodys for hours on skis, then enjoying a few drinks at altitude. All this helps to dehydrate them, taking a bit of salt in the drink helps me retain the water and rehydrate rather than just heat it up and pass it on.
ski holidays
DB,
Most people have something for breakfast containing salt, cereal bars etc usually contain salt and you eat germknodel again in the evening I remain sceptical still chacun a son gout as the Austrians don't say
snow conditions
DB, Nutella is one of the essential food groups, as any fule no.
snow report
Lizzard,

Nutella, almost as many uses as duct tape.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy