Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non Insulated/Waterproof Ski Jacket/Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm after a non insulated or very lightly, waterproof-ish ski jacket/shell (doesn't have to be 100% as I'm unlikely to be skiing in the rain for that long). I specify ski jacket as it would be ideal if it has a large hood to fit over my helmet. Also, inner cuffs/snow skirts in the sleeves is almost essential. I've got a normal Salomon ski jacket, but it's just too warm to wear on some just below freezing or warmer days. Can anyone suggest a jacket that I can wear over one or two base layers which will keep me dry in light snow and rain?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-10-13 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's your budget?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain Equipment Changabang. Best coat for your buck IMHO. A very serious jacket for climbing and skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damn, meant to add that in! Up to £200 max. And up to £400 if it's a North Face Jacket as I get 50% off Wink But the cheaper the better really.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been using my TNF Point 5 jacket for 3 seasons. It's unfussy, durable, helmet hood, Pro shell. Only slight drawback is lack of pockets (just 2) but it's £270 full price and half that for you. Can't go wrong. I use it all year so bought mine big enough to take my full winter layering which has never let me down, but small enough not to be too bulky in Summer. Mountain Equipment Changabang is a great jacket too and to be honest I'd have bought one but it was just a bit too expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestiongs, the Changabang looks great but I just couldn't justify £400 on a jacket given that this is a non essential, but nice to have bit of kit, thanks for the suggestion though Smile

Had a look at the Point 5, which looks pretty promising. Cheers for pointing that one out. Does it have the inner cuff up the sleeves? What alternatives are out there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are no inner cuffs and no snow skirt. It's essentially a mountaineering jacket rather than a ski jacket but I've had great use skiing in it and the lack of a snow skirt has never been an issue even in deep powder. My best gloves are Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski which cover all the cuff area. It's not a problem in other gloves though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I paid under £200 for my Changabang. Worth looking around for any bargains. In your position though I'd get a NF goretex pro equivalent (if there is such a thing).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are loads around, your looking for a "shell" jacket.....

A fair few to chose from here

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/sale/clothing/sale-snow-wear/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it doesn't have to be 100% waterproof as you said.... You could try looking at a softshell. I've got my eye on a rab softshell http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell.html

Imo they're far more comfortable to ski in!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales

I got a great 2117 ski jacket with your specs for 75 quid
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Water Resistance and Breathability
All hardshells tested are more than sufficiently waterproof for even the worst conditions nature can dish out. Breathability varies based on the specific technology employed in each shell and on the type and thickness of the face fabric. Though marketing departments focus their efforts on touting breathability, we believe that this is just one of many factors that contribute to a quality shell (see our ratings for how the shells compare and see our main article for a more detailed discussion of breathability). No waterproof breathable technology is sufficiently breathable for high output activities and sufficiently windproof for low output activities in high winds. In general, air permeable membranes and thinner face fabrics help to increase breathability.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/Buying-Advice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eVents new fabric reviewed ......

http://www.wildsnow.com/9646/review-westcomb-focus-lt-hoody-event-dvl/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Thanks for posting the article. Really interesting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ade57 wrote:
There are no inner cuffs and no snow skirt. It's essentially a mountaineering jacket rather than a ski jacket but I've had great use skiing in it and the lack of a snow skirt has never been an issue even in deep powder. My best gloves are Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski which cover all the cuff area. It's not a problem in other gloves though.

I've had one of these previously too. Really hard to get better value for the money (mine was £125 brand new in a sale). The only thing I didn't like about it was the crappy, narrow, fake-velcro cuff fastening things. Just did not work properly after a couple of weeks use, and a faff with gloves on. Shame really, pretty minor detail on an otherwise great jacket.

PS. Also had no problem without the snow skirt. Nice to have, but far far from essential unless you fall over a lot in powder.
snow conditions
clarky999, re powder skirt. I was worried when I bought my cuurent jacket cos it doesn't have one and had no issues even for a week's heliskiing (when the heli drift is more of an issue, like sand, gets blown everywhere) or on the biggest powder day ever last season. Wouldn't want one now, TBH.

Chrisssyg, yep, softshell might be the way forward. I have an Arcteryx Gamma AR which has been my go to jacket for everything and is really only needing replacement now after about 10 years. Mind you, no hood...
latest report
Good choice here... http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122229/Products/220062lime/SubProducts/220062lime-0029
ski holidays
Oh, I have seen Changabangs for £249 http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=25&brand=11&gclid=CN-xkaPp_7kCFSTKtAodxXEA0g
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/mountain-equipment/mens-changabang-gtx-pro-jacket/228412?gclid=COitgKbp_7kCFbLHtAodv00APA

If you take a large or a small they come up in the sales every so often
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy