Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which GoPro and accessories?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a GoPro for skiing holidays and taking videos of my car. I believe the GoPro 3+ is the most recent version? Can anyone recommend which mounts I'll need please? Also are the anti fog inserts advised to stop the camera steaming up in cold weather?

Thanks,

George
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are several version of the HD3 (Silver, White, Black, Silver+ and Black+) The + are the latest versions and have some advantages and disadvantages but it depends on how you intend to use it and how much you intend to 'edit' the captured footage.

The new 3+ is the same size (but a couple of grams lighter) than the outgoing 3, but the case is smaller and lighter (and has a lower depth rating (40m instead of 60m). As the case is smaller it's a much tighter fit, I will try the anti fog inserts in the 3+ in a couple of hours when I get home and let you know if they fit).

It should only fog up during temperature changes or if you have moisture in the case and there are ways to reduce it even without the inserts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The new advert is great....I particularly like the 'Orang Utan o cam'

http://gopro.com/videos/video-of-the-day/2013/10/1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your quick reply Ansta1 and I appreciate you trying the inserts,

What other disadvantages are there? Is there a page anywhere where I can see all the pros of cons of each without labouring you with the task of listing them?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not really, officially the previous (non)+ black and silver models are discontinued but will continue to be supported in terms of software updates, so there are bargains to be had. Have a quick read here for Abe (he's the guy that does most of the gopro pro edits (including the ad mentioned above) for his view.

http://abekislevitz.com/whats-new-with-hero3plus/

With the Silver+ version they have removed the protune option, most folks neither need or know how to use protune correctly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd just get the camera and use it with the mounts it comes with (I'm not sure precisely what the 3+ comes with, so check that).

Once you know what you want, you can buy more bits from anywhere, and anywhere is cheaper than the UK. GoPro's site for example gives a terrible pound-dollar exchange rate.

I've used the various GoPros for several years and never had one steam up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will only be doing basic editing, so would the GoPro3+ be best for my needs? It sounds like some of the new features aren't so go for advanced editing?

What mounts do the Black Edition GoPro3 and GoPro3+ come with? I can't find a definitive list
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The temperature changes are nothing to do with it fogging. I used mine in Thailand for white water rafting, it was ambient throughout the morning and fogged once we were on the water.

I seriously doubt the case leaked as I'd cleaned it prior to leaving the hotel.

Based on the fact that I am unlikely to visit thailanld again soon, it was bloody expensive to do so when we did and a familiy day white water rafting isn't a daily occurance the fog ruined what could have been a decent set of clips to string together.

IMO, just stick them in anyway because you never know what you might miss due to a fogged lense.

You can get car specific mounts, but make sure you tether it if it's fixed outside. I know a guy who dropped his somewher on a day out.

As for skiing, just use the curved mounts for a helmet and a flat mount for skis. Tether it again (if it's attached to a ski) for no other reason that a 100 yard walk up a mountain in ski boots isn't going to be pleasant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advise,

I was of the chest mount for skiing too and suction mounts to mount to the car roof, wing, door or rear quarter (for the last three I'd probably need the 90 degree too?)

How do you tether the camera to the skis, an elastic key ring to the binding?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
homers double wrote:
The temperature changes are nothing to do with it fogging. I used mine in Thailand for white water rafting, it was ambient throughout the morning and fogged once we were on the water.

As for skiing, just use the curved mounts for a helmet and a flat mount for skis. Tether it again (if it's attached to a ski) for no other reason that a 100 yard walk up a mountain in ski boots isn't going to be pleasant.

I'm also in the market so watching with interest!

Was it the difference in temperature between the air temp in Thailand and the colder water which made it fog?

To the OP I'm not convinced about the chest mounts, more hassle/stuff to put on in the morning IMHO...

IF you go here and scroll down there is a Compare cameras link http://gopro.com/cameras
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find the helmet cam better than the chest for skiing as your head tends to be more stable meaning your filming is too.

Yep, that sort of tether. TBH I forgot mine when I went away and just used a 1e sunglasses cord from the local shop.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, I know its for snowboarding but there is a fairly generically good 10-tips guide to filming on Whitelines atm.

Linky!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homers double, The temperature difference (may not) have been the cause of your fogging, but they are a big cause, particularly in an environment where there are big variances (skiing is a pretty good example) and this is why your goggle and glasses fog up when you walk into a bar, restaurant, gondola etc. As mentioned by Kitenski it's possible the cold water/high ambient temps where the root cause.

Also I wasn't suggesting your case leaked just that there is moisture in the air (in all air) and most fogging relates to the dew point of the air which as related to the humidity. The gopro when running generates a fair bit of heat so high humidity (I think Thailand is in general has high humidity) high in case temperatures which are then subjected to lower temps (cold water) could have been the cause of the issue. Using the fog inserts will help alot, as will sealing the camera in a low humidity room and not opening it till you are back inside once it has been left to return to ambient temp slowly.

For tethers I use para cord. It's thin, strong and cheap. The tether point on the gopro is the case hinge (more specifically) the metal post that runs through the hinge point. If you are using it on the outside of a car then make sure that the lenght of the tether won't allow it hit the ground. Additionally if you are using it in a situation where it may come unstuck (regardless of tether) if you are using the new + case or the old HD2 cases I would suggest a cable tie around the case just in case the clip fails. (it has been known). Oh and when it comes to closing make sure you follow the tips around case closing, which is you apply pressure to the case which allows the clip to close rather than using the clip to apply pressure to the case (though I am told, but I haven't yet tested) that the HD3 clip is stronger.

The only issue with the 'compare' link provided by Kitenski is that they no longer list the old 'black' or 'Silver' edition which I think could be a good call.

If you are only doing basic stuff then the Silver+ could be a good shout, but if you want a remote control then by the time you've got that it's about the Black+ anyway.

Mounts, pretty much what homers double says, though Gopro have some new mounts out which give you more options. (2 size chest mounts, quick clip headstrap, flexible grip mount).

One more thing, stretch the extras £20 and get the lens protection set. Unless you have an external battery charger (wasabi are good, but gopro are about to release a dual battery charger) you need to charge the camera out of the case. The lens is then exposed and doesn't take much to scratch it, which if serious enough could potentially turn it into an expensive paperweight.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey George, there are some good deals to be had on the previous Hero3 Black & Silver Editions at the moment and the new Hero3+ Black Edition which has been out for 4 days. Watch out for some new mounts coming too on the 18th of the month. Some of them update and replace existing mounts and some are brand new.

I'm currently talking to admin about offering you guys some deals but until I've done that it wouldn't be fair to say any more than that.

Updated Suction Cup Mount with new arms and quick release mounts
Updated Helmet Strap Mount with removeable Quick Clip
New Jaw Clamp Mount with flexible arm
New Tripod Mount with Quick Release Tripod Mount
New Junior Chesty - just smaller
New Sportsman Mount - for guns!

Paul
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys!

Apart form the WiFi remote, how is the GoPro 3 Black Edition better than the GoPro 3 Silver+?

Thanks
ski holidays
Have you chosen the GoPro because that's the one you know about or have you considered other brands too?
snow report
George 3G, it has the wifi remote included I believe, the silver+ is the old Black (I think)
snow conditions
George 3G wrote:
Thanks guys!

Apart form the WiFi remote, how is the GoPro 3 Black Edition better than the GoPro 3 Silver+?

Thanks

The black has more capture options and better image quality than the silver+. Do you need the options, possibly but probably not, do you need the better image quality, possibly but probably not. If the end goal is Youtube and watching on the laptop and you want to keep the cost down, don't need the remote, prefer the longer battery life and better wifi of Silver+ then go for that (you can add the remote after if you change your mind). If you want the most options for image capture and the highest image quality with options for extensive post processing then it's the Black or Black+
latest report
i can confirm that the anti-fog inserts from gopro do squeeze into the new hd3+ housing. just....
snow report
Thanks Ansta1!

Both myself and my friend will only be doing mild editing and watching the videos on youtube and laptop so I think the Silver+ sounds the best bet.

I think I'll be going for the following accessories/mounts for ski/car use:

Anti fog inserts (just in case)
Helmet mount
Pole mount
Suction mounts
Protective lens kit
Tether
Side mount
and finally a case

I think that's everything Puzzled
snow conditions
George 3G, dont discount a discounted black. it will capture better images, but has less battery life and the wifi isnt as good. but you will probably get some good deals in the very short term while they are available.

where are you based? if you are close enough, could let you have a play with some kit.

look for infiniteimagesvideo on youtube.
ski holidays
I might spoil myself and go for a 3+ Black yet Laughing

I'll take a look mate, I'm based in the West Midlands

George
latest report
kitenski wrote:
homers double wrote:

I'm also in the market so watching with interest!

Was it the difference in temperature between the air temp in Thailand and the colder water which made it fog?

I would say this. Never had a problem with fogging kayaking in Scotland, but did in Uganda. One is a bit warmer than the other wink

Ambient humidity possible allowing moisture in too, with the camera then heating up whilst in use?
snow report
Which mount to people use to mount the camera to skis? And how successful is this?

How popular is the chest mount?

I've found this video, the camera is mounted to the ski boot somehow:

http://youtube.com/v/CAG_x24P9IY
snow report
[quote="George 3G"]Which mount to people use to mount the camera to skis? And how successful is this?

How popular is the chest mount?

Ski mount is not good for the life of the camera, if you a re a pro and have loads of free camera's its great.

Personally I prefer Chest mount over Helmet/Head. Doesn't look so much like a Teletubbie and makes for some great shots

Smile

Rond Untracked from Tom Greenall
http://vimeo.com/67010053
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally I prefer Chest mount over Helmet/Head. Doesn't look so much like a Teletubbie and makes for some great shots

The main problem I have with helmet mount is having to keep my head still. Looking all over the place makes for a motion sickness inducing video Toofy Grin Going to have to get a chest mount at some point.
latest report
+another for the chesty while skiing - depending on mode you can capture wide/tall, ski tips, knees, etc etc, with a stable view. And if you don't have a remote it's easier to work out if you've actually started or stopped recording etc (compared to a helmet mount anyway).
snow conditions
You can use the adhesive mounts on the ski, some people say they work great, some people say they fall off. I havent had one put on well fail in general piste skiing.
I have had the cameras mounted on the boot before and it makes for some interesting angles, not something for the whole video, but as part of the finished product, worth considering. i have some footage from feb this year, i will dig it out and upload it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not that I have a GoPro, but I can't see any reason other than temperature/humidity change to cause figging up. A cold camera taken into a warm environment will fog on the outside as the warm air holds more moisture and then condenses on the lens. A camera sealed while containing even a small amount if warm (moist) air will fog on the inside when taken into a colder environment. All to do with dew point.
ski holidays
You can use the head mount to make a mount that wraps around the top of your boot.

You can use the vented helmet strap and wrap it around one of your backpack arms. Should be a similar match to a chest mount.

I recently bought a manfrotto nanoclamp, I use it with the tripod mount. It fits quite nicely on the shaft of my ski poles, albeit a bit heavy. I bought nanoclamp before I heard about the jaw clamp mount so I didn't compare them.

With the tripod mount you could also try using a gorilla pod with the gopro.

The Phantom is pretty sweet though I think that falls out of the category of being an accessory. I wonder if it can keep up with a car.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
.. I can't see any reason other than temperature/humidity change to cause fogging up. A cold camera taken into a warm environment will fog on the outside as the warm air holds more moisture and then condenses on the lens. A camera sealed while containing even a small amount if warm (moist) air will fog on the inside when taken into a colder environment. All to do with dew point.

Correct, that's precisely how it works. If you have to change battery, then: (a) stop using all those functions that chew power; (b) think about how and where you do it. I think it's the same as goggles - some people will always manage to fog them up and will never understand how they're doing it.

For skiers I think the chest mount works better than the helmet. Riding with the camera on a ski pole for first-person and third-person also works pretty well. Here's an example:

http://youtube.com/v/x8LndHqkpJg
You can see the pole at eg 1:56. Don uses a standard ski pole for that.
snow conditions
I find the helmet mount much steadier than the chest mount whilst skiing and much less motion sickness inducing for people watching it as there is little roll. It's a little harder to get setup at the right angle though, I put guide marks on the mount so it's easy to line up consistently.
ski holidays
My hubbie got a Black 3 delivered to the door, nothing in it to say who it was from. After some phone calls to the delivery people, they got back to us to ask if he'd entered any competitions for a Go Pro, which he had (a few), they then said they can confirm it comes from a reputable company that organises competitions. Result! Now we just need to learn how to use it!
latest report
What's wrong with using the GoPro pole mount?
snow conditions
George 3G, gopro don't officially do a pole mount, but the seat post mount can be used to mount to a pole but if the pole tapers too much the it would need padding. There are a few non gopro mounts that can help with mounting to a pole.

The thing to remember with mounting to a pole is that

A. You have to hold it out in front or to the side.
B. You have to take the camera off the mount when you have finished that bit of filming.
ski holidays
Gilly28, Laughing
snow conditions
Ah ok thankyou, are there better mounts for mounting the gopro to a pole?
ski holidays
George 3G, the standard seat post mount from gopro does work, depending on your actual poles. There are other options, either custom mounts or specific poles.
snow report
I'll be hiring skis, boots and poles though. I want to take a mount I can easily attach to a hired pole
ski holidays
Then a standard seat post mount should work. you may need to mount it slightly further up the pole if it has a taper but should still work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy