Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toddlers in a ski back pack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

My partner and I are lucky enough to be thinking of going to the Alps this winter for an extended period of time in our motorhome.

We're currently debating on going to Austria and purchasing the Tirol snow card or Flaine and staying the whole season in one resort.

We'd like to take our son up on the slopes for maybe an hour or two each day in a backpack as we're thinking it might he might be a little young to start on skis.

Does anyone know definitively if you are allowed on the lifts, especially the chair lifts with a child of that age?

Cheers

Pete
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't actually say how old he is ! You might get some more definitive info if you do
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powderpete, I can't help with your question, but welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Banned on chairlifts in France, but sometimes the lifties look the other way,
there are stories of a baby having frozen to death in a backpack and the parent not noticing!
Similarly there are also stories of being taken above and then below a certain altitude being bad for babies health.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the prompt replies and welcomes.

Our boy is 2.5years old.

Wow I didn't know kids were not allowed on the lifts in France. Thanks for the info! I wonder if it's the same in Austria.

We were hoping to spend some family time on the slopes - but maybe that isn't possible and one of us will have to stay behind to look after him while the other skis or find a cost effective creche.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the summer we used to take a back-pack up with our kids for walking/wandering/hiking. Pretty easy as the lifts all run slower and it just sat next to us and we held it.
In the winter you may be lucky enough to find a lifty to assist if you are on foot... or maybe use a gondola (which would be a lot easier).

But...
As far as using the piste goes with a baby on your back. Don't.
It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous; not necessarily to you who may be a 'great' skier who never falls over but to me who might be a really crap out of control skier soon to have a Baby's death on my conscience.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Powderpete, It's not kids that are not allowed, but the kids in backpacks. We've certainly taken our two on chairlifts and drags when that age, but of course they were not doing much skiing. Gondolas of course is different, never had a problem taking very small kids on those - even in a pushchair - although if you can't download on it they may not let you go up first.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Quote:

It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous; not necessarily to you who may be a 'great' skier who never falls over but to me who might be a really crap out of control skier soon to have a Baby's death on my conscience.

+1. This is the way to take kids up a mountain (this one is actually coming down). The 2 year old is on her own feet, with Dad to help. Dad has his own backpack on his lap. The little one is in a front carrier, with Mum. Lifties helping top and bottom to ensure everyone is safe.

On a cold, windy, day I wouldn't take a toddler on a chairlift at all but that was a warm day (actually Christmas Eve 2012 IIRC). Ella had discarded her hat (one of the many items in Dad's backpack). Ella, the 2 year old adored the whole trip. The baby was mostly asleep. wink

Not all chairlifts allow foot passengers, of course. Ideally I'd take little ones up the mountain in a gondola but we don't have any of those!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 4-10-13 7:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powderpete, are you mad? No, they will not let you on the chairs with a kid in a rucksack. I would say I can't believe you're even considering skiing like that, but since somebody asked the question at least once a season while I was selling passes I suppose have to accept that there are people that daft out there.

Have you thought about what might happen to him when you fall on him? How are you going to be able to tell that his nose isn't freezing off? Personally I don't believe the stories about kids in bags dying of hypothermia or losing limbs to frostbite, but the reason they continue to do the rounds is that they'rre entirely plausible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Powderpete, welcome to Snowheads snowHead +1 for please don't take the child in a backpack.

At 2.5 years there's a possibility that he would be able to start on skis. 3 is the usual minimum age but some ski schools will take them at 2.5, though I suspect these schools are few and far between. The one I know that does take littlies is Arc en Ciel at Siviez (linked to Nendaz & Verbier). They are really fantastic with very small children and have lots of toys that they ski with, and they do actually ski with them, they don't go in a garden. It was the first time I had seen such innovative provision for really little ones but by that time my boy was 6. They also have a little indoor crèche too right on the snow front and can easily take them inside if the need arises. They usually seem have one instructor to two toddlers when I've seen them.

There may be other schools that do this or would give your son a try, even if they officially say age 3, especially if you are there for a prolonged period and he could do little and often.

Good luck with it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Powderpete,

What most of the locals do for family time on the slopes is either sledging (ideal at 2.5!) or small plastic skis. These skis work with their own shoes inside them and you push them along on the flat - ideal for getting in the feeling although they won't be able to do anything technical in them. Most ski schools will let you book a 1 hour private lesson in the snow garden for a 2.5 year old so if he likes the plastic skis get him some proper ones and let him try!

Quote:

This is excellent advice!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard`s tone is unpleasant but her underlying point is a good one (particularly in a mega resort like Flaine). As Flange and Pam W point out, you may be highly competent but the TP may well not be. My m-in-law was standing by the side of a blue run, minding her own business when a very inexperienced and an out of control skier hit her at speed. Unconscious for 3-4 mins, fracture disclocation of shoulder, fractured ribs etc. Had she been a small child, it could have been so much worse.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think there is someone on TGR who used to drop 20 footers wearing a baby carrier with a cabbage patch doll in it. Looked fairly realistic from a distance apparently.

Obviously don't put a child in a backpack and ski with it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gondola, very gentle nursery slope, kiddie sized kit, (ice) hockey stick. Mum & dad with hooking skills. There's a vid somewhere.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could fit skis to a buggy?
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, I've seen that done, and seen the Hockey Stick idea too when in Canada (quelle suprise!)
We use a set of long ski reins on Sideways_Jnr, which are pretty good, plus they have grab handles on the front and back so you can pick them back upright when they fall over.
snow report
Lizzard, I do remember many years back when a child lost two of its fingers to frostbite whilst in a backpack.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, yes, our "Chariot" bicycle trailer can be adapted with skis to replace the wheels and a harness, plus optional whip for the child to use while shouting for you to go faster. I think they're recommended for cross-country only though.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/active-with-kids/multifunctional-child-carriers/conversion-kits/thule-cross-country-skiing-and-hiking-kit-_-20100808
latest report
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It's definitely food for thought and might be too stressful worrying about everyone else on the piste and our boy as well. I think I'll have to shelve the back pack idea.

I'm thinking the only option for my partner and I to regularly ski together would be to organise childcare with all the associated costs. Though I'm guessing these will be too high to make staying out for the whole season feasible, and also put a stop to the moving around which the Tirol snow card would usually allow.

Back to the drawing board...........
snow conditions
I'm not one for hysterical over reaction to health and safety issues, but in this case I totally agree with all the posters above...I'm amazed when I see Dads skiing with toddlers in backpacks as it doesn't take much to have a tumble no matter how good a skier you are, or someone else to hit you at speed, and the nipper will always come out worse and you'll never forgive yourself.

So, with that in mind.................

snow report
Powderpete, Don't give up on the idea yet...
Three ski areas that I know of on the Tirol Snowcard, Hochfügen, Hochzillertal and Spieljoch have a Guest Kindergarten http://www.best-of-zillertal.at/en/winter/skiing/guest-kindergarten/ Hochfügen is at the bottom of the ski area, Hochzillertal and Spieljoch are at the top of the main gondola, so all very convenient for skiing parents to pick up/drop off and call in if there is a problem.
Friends of mine have a boy who was around age 2,5 last winter - they did a combination of skiing together while their boy was in the creche, one of them skiing with friends while the other played with their boy in the snow with small skis (he preferred going up the magic carpet to actually skiing down!) and, of course, both of them playing with their boy. Hochfügen is actually great for this kind of situation because the beginner slope and kids area is right next to the car park, perfect in a motorhome.
I've no idea about Kindergartens in other Tirol card ski areas, but it might be worth looking into.
snow conditions
Powderpete, if you are in one place for an extended time your lad would probably enjoy attending a local kindergarten (not a ski one - they are expensive) which would also be good for his learning some German. However, I personally wouldn't move around with a kid that age; they are really attached to place, and to friends, and it would be disorientating for him to be constantly uprooted.

Have you spent time in the van in very cold temperatures already? I think you're brave to be contemplating that with a small child. Where will you dry the washing and give him a bath? In our area (France) camp sites with hookups are pretty expensive in the winter - you could rent a little studio for a similar amount of money, giving you much more space, better insulation, hot water on tap etc.
latest report
^ This sounds very sensible advice - a fixed base in a village, place in local kindergarten, even a small expat circle or community where you could pool childminding with a couple of chalet owners all make it a lot more viable.
ski holidays
Powderpete wrote:
I'm thinking the only option for my partner and I to regularly ski together

But why would you want to do that?

Leave her with the lad, that's girl stuff anyway, and get out there.
ski holidays
I once saw a man skiing with a child in a rucksack on his back. Many people were disgusted, couldn't believe his stupidty and told him so.
snow report
I've seen people skiing with toddlers in a backpack a handful of times. In most cases the parent seemed to be a very good skier, but I still thought it was incredibly dangerous and stupid.
snow conditions
I've seen people skiing with toddlers in a backpack a handful of times. In most cases the parent seemed to be a very good skier, but I still thought it was incredibly dangerous and stupid.
ski holidays
I haven't seen it for some years - I suspect all that booing and hissing put people off. wink Statistically it is probably a lot less dangerous than feeding your toddler on fizzy pop, crisps, cake and read meals but......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powderpete wrote:
Hi everyone

My partner and I are lucky enough to be thinking of going to the Alps this winter for an extended period of time in our motorhome.

We're currently debating on going to Austria and purchasing the Tirol snow card or Flaine and staying the whole season in one resort.

We'd like to take our son up on the slopes for maybe an hour or two each day as we're thinking it might he might be a little young to start on skis.

Does anyone know definitively if you are allowed on the lifts, especially the chair lifts with a child of that age?

Cheers

Pete

Flaine is pretty easy to get around on as a toddler. Couple of good flat beginner areas with free lifts and free magic carpets. (Free under 5 anyway all over!)

Child care here: http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/garderie-clubs-en-winter-5-44-1.htm.

Ski lessons normally only 3 + but if a strong child often happy to do so especially in quite periods. I love skiing in Flaine but not sure I would pick it for a whole season with a toddler - apart from skiing there isn't a whole lot going on.
snow conditions
Quote:
I haven't seen it for some years - I suspect all that booing and hissing put people off. Statistically it is probably a lot less dangerous than feeding your toddler on fizzy pop, crisps, cake and ready meals but....
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Ideally I'd take little ones up the mountain in a gondola but we don't have any of those!
Little ones or gondolas pam w? Surely you must mean little ones - isn't it only ski areas in Kazakhstan etc that don't have gondolas these days?....Toofy Grin

(Note to self: Light blue touch paper....and retire wink )
ski holidays
Quote:

Light blue touch paper....and retire

yes, good idea.
latest report
The only plus I can see to child in back pack, is it cushions your own landing when you fall
snow report
A lot of resorts in Austria. Children load on the left side as the chairs have special child retainers (through legs) to prevent them sliding out. Many newer lifts
are being delivered with all seats having this system.

http://media.doppelmayr.com/en/media-library/media-library/ropeway-systems/detachable-chairlifts/browse-through-brochure.html#/4/zoomed

I believe its illegal to carry kids in backpacks. I havent seen this done in many years now.

You would also need to check (the fine print) in your insurance.
snow report
Powderpete, I can't agree more with the above. Let him go up with you on the lift, but on his feet. If you have worries about him getting away from you, take a pair of reins. But I have to say I think you must be a hunk if you can contemplate carrying a 2.5 year old on your back for an extended period, on snow....get a sledge! The only way you will ski properly is if he goes to kindergarten, until he's about 7 or 8 when he will leave you for dead. snowHead
snow report
I think the OP has got the message on the backpack!
latest report
Our kids first learnt to ski in Flaine at age 3 and 2 3/4 with the International Ski School

Prior to that they were in the resort creche/nursery school from babies (all day!)

The resort creche was primarily for locals and full timers, not obviously advertised to holidaymakers, but they were perfectly happy to take our kids for just a week.

Flaine also has cable cars, not chairs, to the top and at the top there is a nice place to eat, lovely views, and plenty of flat area to wonder around with a teenie before....TAKING THE LIFT BACK DOWN.

For all the reasons already mentioned please don't ski with a tot on your back, get them onto the play plastic skis to start with, and maybe proper skis and boots if they are up it.

Both those kids are now all grown up and are working ski instructors....Flaine did them well.
snow conditions
One of our party of 22 skied with his very young child in a back pack in Courchevel. I refused to ski with them and told him that I thought it was beyond reckless. Twice he was stopped by instructors who gave him a piece of his mind.
latest report
I regularly used to go hillwalking with a child on my back and given modest skills would certainly have no hesitation whatsoever about skiing with them. And as for the nonsense about getting hit by another skier just think and get real.
This is daily mail style scare mongering and realistically complete nonsense in the overall scheme of things.
snow report
T Bar, trolling nonsense rolling eyes
snow report
Mind you... I do certainly HATE people who do it....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy