Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hopefully I am going off-piste

sophiehunter
sophiehunter
Hi everyone,

I am going skiing this winter with my family, my brothers and I want to try off piste skiing. Do you guys have any advice? What do we need to take with us?
Also what do we do if we lose our skis? I heard using ribbons works?

Sorry for all the questions!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rad : get a Go Pro and you will be all set for some "backcountry freeride" action Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your ski falls off, use you other ski to slice down into the snow around you until you feel it hit something.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most important thing to take with you is your sense of humour!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Most important thing to take with you is your sense of humour!

This may be the best piece of off-piste advice i have ever heard!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sophiehunter Have you done much skiing overall? It pays to hone your on-piste skills before delving into the wondrous world of off piste and powder. A lesson or two may be advisable.
ski holidays
 sophiehunter
sophiehunter
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to get a GoPro, also I have been skiing about 10 times and have had lots of lessons.
ski holidays
 CharlotteSykes1990
CharlotteSykes1990
clarky999 wrote:
If your ski falls off, use you other ski to slice down into the snow around you until you feel it hit something.

That works, takes ages though. Ribbons work but it is hit and miss.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sophiehunter wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to get a GoPro, also I have been skiing about 10 times and have had lots of lessons.

Amazing - your all set, what could possibly go wrong.
Try 2 Go Pros Wink
One pointing forward and one back.
snow report
 CharlotteSykes1990
CharlotteSykes1990
also, depending how far you go off-piste you may need to get an avalanche transreceiver
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Try 2 Go Pros Wink
One pointing forward and one back.

You really need 3. One forwards, one back, and one on a pole.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kat.ryb, Bless'd be the GSA, Hallow'd be thy footage.
latest report
 CharlotteSykes1990
CharlotteSykes1990
get an iphone 5s too! It does slow motion!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sophiehunter wrote:
I heard using ribbons works?

On that specific, about 30 years ago people used to use ribbons to help them find their skis should they come off. First ribbons got shorter, and for the last 20 or so years I've not seen anyone use them at all. I wouldn't bother, although if you do note that the ribbon is fixed to the ski and not to you: it's a sort of float, not a tether.

Finding a ski without any consumer toys is easy. You just need to think about where to look, and then don't give up until you find them. Instructions already given are the basic idea. If you have no ski to probe with use a friend's or a pole.

Beginners usually fall over at low speeds and in predictable ways so finding their stuff is especially easy. Try to fall over only when you're ahead of your mates, and don't fall over anywhere steep or dangerous, or you'll be looking on your own.

A much better approach overall is to simply use a snowboard, which is faster, more fun, and doesn't release so you'll never have to search for it.

--
If you're serious on the other stuff, my advice would be to ask your instructor.

In North America you can ride anywhere in bounds (inside the resort boundary), which will give you the same snow as "off piste" except it's controlled and patrolled but not prepared. Most people will ride that with their piste gear.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
powder ribbons, multiple go-pro's and an iphone 5s ?
might want to take some sandwiches as well Wink

CharlotteSykes1990 wrote:
also, depending how far you go off-piste you may need to get an avalanche transreceiver

yip - luckily there are never avalanches when freeriding in the "side country", only in the "backcountry" Wink
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap wrote:
powder ribbons, multiple go-pro's and an iphone 5s ?
might want to take some sandwiches as well Wink

yip - luckily there are never avalanches when freeriding in the "side country", only in the "backcountry" Wink

I presume you are talking about North America. I didn't know side country was avalanche patrolled - are you sure about that? It is out of bounds, after all (or has been where I have been - eg Jackson Hole), and I thought no out of bounds was avalanche patrolled. Obviously only pistes (including itineraries) are avalanche patrolled in Europe.
latest report
^irony clearly doesn't work well on the interweb : better add an avalung + recco patch to the equipment list just in case Wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 3-10-13 13:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball, i think I detect a certain level of sarcasm in Haggis_Traps post.............. Laughing
snow report
sophiehunter, I think there might be a bit of leg pulling go on here*, in between some decent advice. When you say you want to try off piste skiing - what exactly do you mean? Are you going to dabble off the side of the piste..? That is how most people start. Often, some people say wrongly, without avalanche gear. With some common sense and at least with some basic checking of terrain and avalanche risk that can get you along way. Beyond that you need to start building your knowledge, buying a transceiver, probe and shovel - and knowing how to use all this. If you really want to be a bit more adventurous... get a guide.

Losing a ski is an occupational hazard. I started a thread about it a while back. I'll have a search for it.

Where are you going to be skiing?

* in particular with having several GoPro's hanging off of you!
snow report
Embarassed teach me to skim read bits of posts. Irony was very clear on looking at it - and reading the whole post.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Embarassed teach me to skim read bits of posts. Irony was very clear on looking at it - and reading the whole post.

Oh, I thought you were being ironic back to the irony, which I thought was a fairly good response.

I think it's hard to do sarcasm without coming across as a bit smartarse. But then the OP may have been a troll searching for that....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I started a thread about it a while back. I'll have a search for it.

Should have had a tracer or one of them techno doubters, would have helped you find it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig, damn, I should have pretended that Very Happy
snow report
get an iphone 5s too! It does slow motion!

And it doubles up as a really useful beacon. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know, it's great isn't it moffatross, how when U have an iPhone, there's virtually no need to carry any other safety kit at all.
Have you seen the new air-bag app, "infelateThis"?
snow report
Or the probe app, "probableEx"
latest report
Only problem is you still need a pair of iPhones for climbing skins, even if they all come with a skin fitted. Moving a phone from one leg to the other is just too slow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you fall in the deep stuff, make your poles into a cross, hold the centre and press it into the snow to push yourself out.

Oh, and 5 go pros, one for your friend behind you and another placed in advance on your route to get you in action!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
don't know about everyone else but if theres, say 30cm frensh, I find powder ribbons to save a lot of time and effort! without them my ski almost always disappears, with them I spot it straight away.

this is probably more useful in fairly tracked out, if its untouched then you might spot the hole.
snow report
ractys, why are you losing your ski(s)?
snow report
ractys wrote:
don't know about everyone else but if theres, say 30cm frensh, I find powder ribbons to save a lot of time and effort! without them my ski almost always disappears, with them I spot it straight away.
this is probably more useful in fairly tracked out, if its untouched then you might spot the hole.

a spair pair of powder ribbons are essential for any serious freeriders.
nothing more frustrating than having to spend time looking for powder ribbons that have fallen off during a run.
snow report

I don't know why people find powder traces quite so risible. They can be quite useful.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
^ did you get those powder traces free during the interval of a Warren Miller film tour ?
latest report
No
snow report
With all this talk of powder ribbons where is CG?
ski holidays
I got the mickey taken out of me mercilessly by my brother in law when we had an off piste course last year. Next week, after we spent 3/4 hr looking for my lost ski his comment of "powder traces tomorrow then?" said it all! rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

+ recco patch to the equipment list just in case Wink

Unless you can find some old stock hanging around, Recco have stopped supplying the stick on style patch and have now moved over to 100% inclusion of Recco into clothing and other gear Toofy Grin
latest report
Sophie, the one piece of advice I have for you is TAKE LESSONS. It's like taking up a whole different sport. Don't assume that because you can ski on-piste you can ski in deeper, softer snow, and even if you can play happily in the edge-of-piste stuff, you're going to need different skills for the wavy crusty ice or whatever that day's conditions throw at you. If you're in Europe, I'm going to shamelessly plug snowHeads off-piste week with tuition. You won't touch a piste all week and by the end you'll be doing stuff you never thought possible. And with a big fat smile on your face! If you don't have the tranceiver, shovel & probe, the ski shops have them for rent.

Ribbons? Where would you rather be at the end of the day? Searching for a lost ski for hours, or in the bar having a beer with your mates? As they say, No Friends on a Lost-a-ski-in-the-Powder Day.

P.S. Warning: it's addictive!
snow report
Who knew there was a Euro GSA, just especially for Yurp?

Don't forget your harness, and an unnecessary quantity of carabiners ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy