Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best family resorts - good Telegraph article

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Gill and Dave Watts know this stuff ...

The best family ski resorts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/10339051/The-best-family-ski-resorts.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These articles are a waste of time IMO. What do you define as a family ski resort? Do all families want the same thing? There are a lot of myths about what a family ski resort is or should be.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith, thanks, a useful article for me as I'm toying with the idea of giving my 3yo daughter her first experience of skiing this winter, and she seems keen.

A friend told me that French ski schools will teach them from 3.5 yo (so she'll be OK), whereas Swiss ones it is 4 and above. I'll have to do a bit of digging around and see if this is true.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitters, our local ESI takes from 3 years old in classes of maximum 8. They start in the ski kindergarten with very gentle stuff and a magic carpet to get them back up the slope. From experience of my own kids and grandchildren I'd say 4 is a better age, but why not give it a go, if she's keen? Group classes of that kind are cheap enough (€95 for the week in low season) that if she hates it you can just pull her out.

But I think ski schools vary - it would be wise to check before deciding where you go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitters, our local ESI takes from 3 years old in classes of maximum 8. They start in the ski kindergarten with very gentle stuff and a magic carpet to get them back up the slope. From experience of my own kids and grandchildren I'd say 4 is a better age, but why not give it a go, if she's keen? Group classes of that kind are cheap enough (€95 for the week in low season) that if she hates it you can just pull her out.

But I think ski schools vary - it would be wise to check before deciding where you go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitters, we took our 3yr old skiing for first time in April - we went with Ski Esprit to Belle Plagne but they offer ski lessons from 3 in all their resorts they use (including Italy, Austria and Switzerland). She didnt get on that well mainly because she was too hot. They insist on doing the youngsters lessons in the after noon but by then in mid April it was exceedingly hot. I felt the lessons my eldest had in Courchevel were much better although she was 4 then the other 2 (yes there were only 3 in the lesson which really helped!) were both 3 yr olds. That holiday we went first week of the season (the week before Christmas) whereas we had gone the last week in the season in April where due to less bookings Esprit decided to close early in several resorts and hence there were a lot more of us in the accomodation than would have been for such as off peak week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our eldest was 3 and a month when he went into Spritelets with Espirit. He had loads of fun which is what its all about at that age so go for it.

TIP: Drop your wee'un at the lesson and GET OUT OF THERE! Mum or Dad in attendance is more of a distraction and a hinderance. YOu'll be tempted to peek and see how they are doing - DON'T, or go in disguise. I spent 10 minutes hiding in a snowbank in St.Anton after Sideways_Jnr (who was doing perfectly well) clocked me at about 500 yards and then wouldn't go up the magic carpet again as he thought he'd seen daddy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, NickyJ, Richard_Sideways thanks for the advice. A friend who's daughter started at 3.5 last year said that his daughter didn't quite have the coordination skills to make the most of it compared to his slightly older other daughter, but she still seemed to enjoy it. Maybe I'll wait to late season when she's a little bit older......each month seems to see a big change at this stage of her life!

I'm sure any parent would love to peek and see their nippers on skis, but I agree, better not to be there as she will be distracted
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

This is one of my grand-daughters, just short of her 3rd birthday, with her dad. He's not a ski instructor, though he has a Mountain Leader thingy, but he is a PE teacher with a lot of experience of teaching motor skills and a good skier himself. She'd have been hopeless with her mother, on the other hand (also a good skier). They'd both have got into a terrible flap and it would probably have ended in tears. wink

That was Christmas last season. she had some private lessons with 3 other little girls at Easter, but actually got on better and enjoyed herself more with her dad. But what she really, really, really, loved was toboganning. They have booked flights for April 2014 and it's the tobogganing she keeps talking about. But not all kids take to toboganning - one of my grandchildren loved pulling her teddy around on a toboggan but hated it herself, because she felt out of control. That, of course, is the whole point but it doesn't appeal to all kids.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep - don't get me wrong she didnt come away hating it and we don't regret her doing it, she just kept wanting to just sit done (i am sure because she was too hot - we were too hot!) but if she hadn't have gone into lessons she would have felt like she was missing Out as her older sister was doing lessons. As is said it is all about having fun and overall she did - they also did sledging with the kids club and she loves that as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Chris Gill and Dave Watts know this stuff ...

The best family ski resorts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/10339051/The-best-family-ski-resorts.html

Wot no Serfaus !!!!!?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice photo pam w. I hope her Dad's back wasn't too bad afterwards!

Yes, its probably fair to say that she is even more excited by the prospect of snowman building and tobogganing too, which she did last year in St Cergue in the Jura, so we'll try and make it a good all-round trip and not push her too hard. Maybe we'll try a weekend first and see how it goes before committing to a week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Whitters, our local ESI takes from 3 years old in classes of maximum 8.

In the UK, children in a warm, safe, child-friendly, custom-built, indoor environment have a legal maximum adult/child ratio of 1:8 at that age. The NSPCC recommends a maximum ratio of 1:5 and, for outdoor excursions, most childcare organisations will enforce even lower limits.

Who's got the ratios right? Us or the French?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones,
Quote:

In the UK, children in a warm, safe, child-friendly, custom-built, indoor environment have a legal maximum adult/child ratio of 1:8 at that age. The NSPCC recommends a maximum ratio of 1:5 and, for outdoor excursions

For 3yo's there will be no excursion. Yes they will be outdoors but in a enclosed environment, a snow garden as it were. Which will be safe and custom-built. Might be a bit chilly mind.
snow report
Whitters wrote:
Nice photo pam w. I hope her Dad's back wasn't too bad afterwards!

Yes, its probably fair to say that she is even more excited by the prospect of snowman building and tobogganing too, which she did last year in St Cergue in the Jura, so we'll try and make it a good all-round trip and not push her too hard. Maybe we'll try a weekend first and see how it goes before committing to a week.

If you actually do live near Geneva, it would surely be best to go for a weekend or two? Our kids started at 4 and were knackered by half way through the week.
snow conditions
pam w, What an adorable pic....a right little Mogul Mouse.
snow conditions
northernsoulboy, yes I do, and probably will as a starter to gauge the enthusiasm levels.

My main concern would be based on our summer holiday in Greece - she was a bit nervous about the pool or sea at first, but soon got her bravery up and you couldn't keep her out of the pool for the rest of the fortnight.

Back home now and we've tried weekly swimming lessons and the old fears have crept back in again. Therefore I wonder if a week's immersion might be better, although I appreciate skiing is a lot more physical then splashing about in a pool with armbands on.
snow report
Our boys started when they were 3 and really enjoyed themselves so it's possible.
Key things we learnt :
- allow plenty of time to get them dressed and organised
- go to a ski school close to where you're staying (no buses, lifts, long walks, etc)
- be prepared to carry their kit (and yours)
- don't expect them to do anything in the afternoon (and be prepared for them wanting a sleep)
- don't expect them to want to ski with you (it's great but comes later when they're older)
- chose a location with a kids warm room nearby (not a restaurant or café which can get busy with adults) so they can get out of really bad weather
- make sure you have food ready straight after the lesson
- make sure they get plenty of sleep
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy