Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2013 - Val Thorens or Les Menuires?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,
Can anyone recommend the best base for Christmas week - Val T or Les Menuires?
We want to be high enough to be guaranteed snow but concerned that Val T might be v. cold and potentially affected by bad weather/high winds at that time of year.

Also can anyone recommend a good quality catered chalet in either resort?
Am I right in thinking that in Les Menuires there is a satellite village where access to the slopes is via a slow chair? Is it best to stay in Les M centre itself?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We want to be high enough to be guaranteed snow but concerned that Val T might be v. cold and potentially affected by bad weather/high winds at that time of year.

Anywhere high enough to be as snowsure as Val Thorens has the potential to be cold and nasty. You could always stay somewhere a bit lower and go up to those Arctic regions by lift if necessary. You can't have it both ways.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These guys have very nice chalets in a great location for slope access in Reberty, on the outskirts of Les Menuires

http://www.powdernshine.com/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 1-10-13 20:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it is cold and white out in VT then it is usually cold and white out in Les Menuires. Sometimes though, you are right, it can be ok in les menuires and not good in VT but then it is easy to ski down to Les Menuires anyway. Equally, I have often seen cloud in Les Menuires and broad sunshine in VT.

Both are above the tree line, although Les menuires is just on the tree line.

Sometimes if the snow hasn't built up by then in les menuires, you can go up to Val Thorens fairly easily.

So, I don't think it matters too much which one you choose - just go for where you get the best chalet deal. Ski lift queues are worse in Les Menuires though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I might be biased since I live in Reberty most of the season. I agree that it probably won't matter too much which one you choose, both locations are fine although I personally tend to find it is a bit colder in VT and LM does give a little more shelter when the winds get up.
The only slow chair left in LM is in Bettaix , both the Croisette and Reberty areas are served by very good lifts. There were no lift queues to speak of in LM last Christmas. There are Christmas eve celebrations with an excellent firework display in Les Bruyeres which is at the foot of the Reberty slopes and is served by a free resort shuttle bus.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Duster- I worked the 05/06 seaon in Les M based in Reberty where the more attractive chalets are. Ski Olympic have 3 or 4 chalets there. Les Bettaix is the only place that I can think of with a slow lift. I was told last year it was to be replaced by a new speedy one for this season, but it looks like it hasn't happened yet. I think Ski Amis have chalets there. It's an attractive quiet spot in the valley bottom next to the river, even has a few trees! ski Amis also have nice chalets in Les Bruyeres which is also a nice part of Les M above the main village centre and with its own ski school meeting point etc.
If the wind is up and the weather wild, then the chances are lifts will be shut in VT and Les M, though there's marginally more chance of getting to ski a bit in Les M and maybe get down the valley to St Martin. It's definitely less bleak than VT on a cold day. Queues are really only an issue on those sort of days, otherwise you should be fine. Likewise, snow will be fine too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good quality catered chalet in either resort?
In the summer we mountain biked past some nice looking Ski Amis chalets just below Les Menuires. They're in a nice little village (poss Le Bettex?) and are connected by lift to Les Menuires. Didn't see what sort of lift it is - but it could be a slow lift and the satellite village that you referred to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I shall take a look at Ski Amis and Ski...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Am I right in thinking that in Les Menuires there is a satellite village where access to the slopes is via a slow chair? Is it best to stay in Les M centre itself?

St Martin de Belleville is possibly the lower village you refer to. Generally considered to be a more attractive village. Les M is a convenient location for 3V links but rarely gets praise for architecture or alpine charm. From memory there's a 2 detachable chairlift link from St Martin up to Les M. Transfer reasonably quick but open to the elements. Personally I'd prefer to stay in either Les M or St Martin compared with Val Thorens at that time of year. Easy enough to get up and over to Val T and beyond into the Maurienne valley if the weather is favourable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I`ve stayed with Ski Amis down on the front at LM; good, but huge queues at the bubble outside in the morning. I`ve also stayed at Reberty with Powder and Shine; a good place for foodies but almost too much food for us. At Reberty you have the advantage of skiing down to the next lift ( Sunny Express) which is much less crowded
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I`ve stayed with Ski Amis down on the front at LM; good, but huge queues at the bubble outside in the morning. I`ve also stayed at Reberty with Powder and Shine; a good place for foodies but almost too much food for us. At Reberty you have the advantage of skiing down to the next lift ( Sunny Express) which is much less crowded
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've stayed with Ski Amis in those Bettex chalets - we all had a ball and planned to be back the following season (but couldn't get the group together again for various reasons). We never found the chair slow, though the opening time meant absolute beginners would never be able to cover the whole route to ski lessons in time for the start of the lessons - but the chalet hosts were very happy to drive them. We did even lap the chair/piste a few times at the ends of days.

It was ski back right to the door most days too.

Only complaint we vaguely had was it wasn't beside the busiest nightlife - but really the little restaurant and bars were lovely, quite cheap, and more than enough for us (plys a lot of chalet drinking a games!)

Oh, and the ski amis portions were so generous we actually had to ask the hosts to cook less, particularly at breakfast! It's really not possible to do a full fry up every morning.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
intermediate wrote:
Quote:

St Martin de Belleville is possibly the lower village you refer to. Generally considered to be a more attractive village. Les M is a convenient location for 3V links but rarely gets praise for architecture or alpine charm. From memory there's a 2 detachable chairlift link from St Martin up to Les M. Transfer reasonably quick but open to the elements. Personally I'd prefer to stay in either Les M or St Martin compared with Val Thorens at that time of year. Easy enough to get up and over to Val T and beyond into the Maurienne valley if the weather is favourable.

Err...no....St Martin is about 6km down the road from Les M, and sits at 1450m, with a 8 person gondola and then fast 4 person chair to the top. It's my most fave resort in the 3v. It has some lovely places to stay, but tend to be high end owner operated chalets, and attractive apartments, some purpose built and some in converted old farm buildings.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to everyone for your advice and opinions. We've booked a catered chalet in Les Menuires - Reberty. Really looking forward to Christmas in the Three Valleys. Only 11 weeks to go !!! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jo66 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your advice and opinions. We've booked a catered chalet in Les Menuires - Reberty. Really looking forward to Christmas in the Three Valleys. Only 11 weeks to go !!! snowHead

wave to us as you go past. I'm in the apartments just after the bridge in Menswear. From what you've said it sounds like your first christmas trip to 3V? you're in for a treat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy