Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructional books / videos

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I've been an occasional lurker over the past year or so, I'm wanting to get a little more serious about skiing this season so I'm looking for some good reading material or videos that'll help me get more out of the instruction on the slope.

I've only had 15-20 hours at Castleford then a weeks skiing in La Plagne with the UCPA last year. Quite happy with the progress I made, skiing just about all the blues, most of the reds and tumbling down a few blacks.
Hoping to get at least 2 weeks preferably 3 on the slopes this year.

Thx in advance for any suggestions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My favourite book by far is 'Ultimate Skiing' by Ron Lemaster. Another great one for a philosophy of learning is 'Brilliant Skiing Everyday' by Weems Westfeldt. DVD wise, the Rick Scnellman course 'Your Ski Coach' available from his website yourskicoach.com. Other good DVDs are the Ski Club of GB 'Skiing Skills' series. Lots to get your teeth into but don't forget books and DVDs don't give you the feedback and personalised progression of good quality instruction. They're a good addition though. Lots of other good titles out there as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The all mountain skier by R Mark Elling or any book by Ron LeMaster
Controversial but a good writer is Tejada-Flores
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ade57 wrote:
My favourite book by far is 'Ultimate Skiing' by Ron Lemaster.
I'm also a big fan of the LeMaster book, but it's not an instructional book, more of a technical reference manual. Invaluable if you're a bit geeky about the physics and biomechanics of skiing, but not a great resource if you are looking to teach yourself to ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thx for the very quick responses.

I'm a bit on geeky side (mechanical engineer) so will probably enjoy reading up on the physics behind skiing Very Happy
I'm not planning to teach myself to ski, coming from flying sailplanes I understand the value of good instruction, but also like to understand the lessons as much as possible before actually doing them so I waste less instructor / slope time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the good old days somebody would have suggested Harald Harb by now - kicking off a massive row Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh go on then .....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harald-Harbs-Essentials-Skiing-Harb/dp/1578263646?tag=amz07b-21

Quote:
3 new from £88.99 7 used from £12.69
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daishan wrote:
Thx for the very quick responses.

I'm a bit on geeky side (mechanical engineer) so will probably enjoy reading up on the physics behind skiing Very Happy
I'm not planning to teach myself to ski, coming from flying sailplanes I understand the value of good instruction, but also like to understand the lessons as much as possible before actually doing them so I waste less instructor / slope time.

In which case the Lemaster book should be very interesting for you. His website is also quite interesting, but I stress it's not a teach-yourself-to-ski resource.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Teach yourself to ski books are a bit redundant without some outside input in my opinion and I wouldn't really advocate them at lower levels of performance. I believe they have a use for skiers who have a sound basis and understanding of what's involved and have a sound self awareness; refinement level. LeMasters book offers a great insight into the sport and does indeed offer a number of drills and specific tactis for various situations.

I agree it's not a teach yourself book. That was deliberate. It does require a keen interest in learning more and I figured someone who has taken the trouble to post such a request would probably be interested in learning this kind of information. The OP asked for something that would help get more out of on slope instruction. I can't think of a better book!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ade57, agree with all of that. He's a bit of a hero to me as far as ski coaching goes. Met him recently at a coaching conference and enjoyed his contribution.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Excellent. Very envious. I've read lots of his online seminars but not had the opportunity to attend one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is a very useful resource for defining the terms and concepts which you will encounter:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Encyclopedia-Skiing-Edition/dp/0966913159?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Warren Smith does a few DVD's

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/tutorials/technique-videos/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know it's not alpine --- but this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Really-Telemark-Revised-Better/dp/076274586X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380699347&sr=1-4&tag=amz07b-21

works for me Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the Rick Scnellman course 'Your Ski Coach' available from his website yourskicoach.com

these DVDs, recommended above by Ade57 are the most detailed, step by step, and clear that I have seen. They are not very "exciting", but they do show you exactly how to do stuff. For someone serious, who is not going to be beguiled by banging music and some ski guru showing you how very well he can ski, but giving you little idea how to make progress in that godly direction, I'd say they're the best resource.
snow conditions
Thx for all of your suggestions Smile

I've ordered 'Ultimate Skiing' by Ron Lemaster and The all mountain skier by R Mark Elling to start with and having a look at some of the dvds.

Planning on going to Castleford on Saturday to see if I can remember anything useful rolling eyes
ski holidays
Daishan,
There's quite a few Warren Smith ski clips on youtube.
ski holidays
^^ will be checking out some of Warren's vids, particularly like the sound of the new series he's publishing on amazon and the apple app store, hope they're available on android as well (apple be devils work Neh Neh )
snow report
Martin Bell Sir, beat me to it Smile . I remember reading Bob Barnes' articles on epicski, when I was starting skiing, and finding them fascinating.
snow report
Daishan, There are a lot of ski videos on Youtube, just do a search for ski tips and you will have plenty of choice from beginner to advanced and cheaper than DVD's.
snow report
larry1950, Got to be a bit careful especially if you're relatively new to the sport as there's also a lot of very poor and downright bad stuff on Youtube as well going under the guise of 'ski instruction.'
snow report
Ade57, I agree there is a lot of rubbish on Youtube but there are also a lot of good ones such as http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSkiAcademy?feature=watch and http://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia. I would also hope that even a relative beginner would be able to filter out to good from the bad fairly quickly.
snow conditions
An example of a Warren Smith clip .....

http://youtube.com/v/sHXmn8O26Bg
snow conditions
Louis wrote:
The all mountain skier by R Mark Elling or any book by Ron LeMaster

+1
latest report
Contravertial!! rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Why controversial? I was going to recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakthrough-New-Skis-Goodbye-Intermediate/dp/0967674727/?tag=amz07b-21 - reading that has improved my skiing more than anything else, I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy