Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Helmets should be replaced every two to three years"

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my Cebe lid during the first EOSB, so that makes it almost 10 years old. One of the goggle clips just snapped off so I guess it is time to retire it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard wrote:
FFS Goldwidget, what are you thinking of? We've managed weeks and weeks without a lot of sanctiminious drivel about helmets, and now look what you've done. Laughing

It's tantrum time for Comedy G. Laughing It's sure to be 'tears before bedtime' for quite a while.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Johns-Hopkins thing is a survey of surveys - not quite original research. I can't actually find the text of study itself, which is a shame.

The stuff about the English actress misses the point and is hardly scientific: the cause of death wasn't failure to wear a helmet on the bunny hill as much as failure to deal with head trauma sensibly. More interesting to me is the effect of celebrity on perception of risk.

It's still unclear why the increase in helmet usage isn't linked to a corresponding reduction in fatalities or serious injuries, based on the North American Ski Resort industry data. You'd expect there to be a direct causal relationship. Where is it?

Sometimes I'll use a helmet (I get them for free now and then), sometimes I won't. The chances for me of suffering the type of head injury they'd help with isn't large. I don't do ballet, mostly ride powder, and my snowboard doesn't detach, so my risks are different from yours. I listen to music on piste, so like some of my deaf buddies I don't rely on my ears at all. I never really understood that one anyway - I don't sing to myself as I ride, so you've zero chance of hearing me, you have to look.

On the OP, I think you know the answers to those questions. It is amusing that the snow-helmet industry's managed to corner the fashion market. With bike helmets it's not like that - I still regularly see presumably "cool" kiddies cycling to school with their helmets hanging on their handlebars. But even there, the choice to wear a helmet is not as obvious as many seem to think ~ see data on Australia for example.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that basically translates from corporate b*llshit-ese into plain English as -

"In the last decade helmet use in snow sports has increased massively due to a combination of fear, fashion, common sense, men with baldy heads who find woolly hats itchy and people needing a place to mount their GoPro's- amongst other things.

This has meant that we makers of said helmets have had a spiffingly profitable time of it and all have nice new houses and cars as well as very good tans etc etc.

Now that almost everybody who wants to buy a helmet has one we are sensing that the gravy train is slowing down a bit and have therefore decided to announce that our very expensive products are actually pretty poor and will need replaced regularly or all users will all sustain horrible injuries as their existing helmet will disintegrate in anything more than a strong breeze!

Therefore if your helmet is more than two or three years old and unless you want to die horribly on your very next snow sports holiday you should immediately go and buy a new one and we can continue with our very nice lifestyle thank you very much Very Happy

PS in case you don't believe us we've paid some academic who spends most of his time arguing the world is flat to say so and we've also paid this guy to put an article in his online magazine that no ones ever heard of so it must be true, so there! "

Hope this helps? Shocked Little Angel snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They will deteriorate - the UV destroys the plastic, so it's not marketing. However, as pointed out, most helmets will be used for a week or 2 a year. Maybe wear a cover to keep the UV out?

Motorcycle helmets are either fibregalss (UV stable) or polycarbonate (not UV stable). Plus the odd Kevlar/Carbon Fibre one for the rich posers Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robboj, yep, that's roughly it in a headshell.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
I listen to music on piste, so like some of my deaf buddies I don't rely on my ears at all. I never really understood that one anyway - I don't sing to myself as I ride, so you've zero chance of hearing me, you have to look.

Erm, what? Most people don't sing as they ride/ski but it's still easy to hear when someone is getting too close behind you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[yawn]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj, Laughing Excellent!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the way I read it was the same as the way I read those words on shampoo bottles... "rinse, repeat"

guy at work has a really ancient polystyrene cycle helmet, that is so old it predates the common 2 part EP/shell moulding method of manufacture. That must have had 100x more UV than the typical bike/ski lid. And is still in one piece. Not entirely sure I'd like to find out for real how good it is, but then the same is true for my decades more modern lid too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, +1

(Vaguely interested) do policeman change there helmets every 2 years.

Does George Osbourne realise there is cost saving to be had if they carried parasols?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helmut bloody useful when some pillock hits you in the head with his skis, which has happened to me a few times when boarding gondolas. I have also banged my noggin a few times in similar manner and had a bint pull the chairlift bar down on my scone; happy to have the helmet in those cases too.
They also keep ya head warm and you don't even notice you have it on. Multifaceted. Can't understand why you wouldn't wear one. Will be compulsory soon anyway I reckon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Juddernaut wrote:
Will be compulsory soon anyway I reckon.
your existence has clearly been blighted by 'elf & safety gone mad. Hey, how about segregation? Helmeted runs and non-helmeted runs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd rather wager yes than no on that bet, given a timescale of 10 years
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:

It's still unclear why the increase in helmet usage isn't linked to a corresponding reduction in fatalities or serious injuries, based on the North American Ski Resort industry data. You'd expect there to be a direct causal relationship. Where is it?

The difficulty is compounded by, I suspect, a change in how some people ski. With an increase in park skiing for example, the number of injuries, one would expect, be higher than on normal piste skiing. With such an increase in injuries overall, the drop you'd expect to see with increased helmet usage could well be masked.
ski holidays
feef wrote:
philwig wrote:

The difficulty is compounded by, I suspect, a change in how some people ski. With an increase in park skiing for example, the number of injuries, one would expect, be higher than on normal piste skiing. With such an increase in injuries overall, the drop you'd expect to see with increased helmet usage could well be masked.

But the vast majority of park skiiers wear helmets so that wouldn't influence the expected drop unless helmets were ineffective?
latest report
No, it will mean that what may have been a major injury will now be shrugged off, what may have been a fatality is now a major injury.. It will skew the calculations. Ideally, it should really be looking at different aspects of the sport rather than just saying 'skiing'. In motorcycling, for example, off-road helmets received a far different life than those of road bikes. If I came off my road bike, I'd replace the helmet immediately. Yet I race off-road and have fallen off several times, but I've not yet replaced this helmet (I might do for next year, and it was new in March). I'd suggest that the studies look at piste skiing incidents in isolation if it wants to try and draw a definitive conclusion.
ski holidays
philwig, I can't find a link to the North American Ski Resort Industry data that you refer to, so I can't assess the statistics you mention. Where is it found?
latest report
The last time CG skied helmets were made from bakelite with a cork lining so I guess, from his experience, he is bang on the money.
snow report
feef wrote:
No, it will mean that what may have been a major injury will now be shrugged off, what may have been a fatality is now a major injury..

So if the stats showed less fatalities and a similar number of major injuries along with a corresponding increase in park skiing we could draw the conclusion that helmets are effective. Lets be honest, park skiing hasn't increased that much anyway. Right up to the point you are doing flips, leg and arm injuries are more likely. Once you start doing flips, broken neck is more likely when you get it wrong, so park skiing stats have nothing to add to a helmet debate.
ski holidays
mcspreader, I think he made three ski trips last season.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
FFS Goldwidget, what are you thinking of? We've managed weeks and weeks without a lot of sanctiminious drivel about helmets, and now look what you've done. Laughing

Yes, about 1000 hits on this thread in 10 hours. I hope admin is delighted.
Helmet threads can be great hit-spinners!

There were so many helmets in one rustic mountain restaurant I visited in Austria last season that people didn't know where to put them. A big hungry roaring fire in the corner seemed the obvious place, but I thought it would generate too much smoke.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you are a "hit" junkie!
ski holidays
Thornyhill, I'll need to find the exact quote but an eminent Swiss doctor who deals with the consequences and studies these things, said that eliminating terrain parks and especially half pipes, would wipe out the majority of serious injury. And by serious he was talking about broken backs, necks and other life-altering or life-ending stuff. As you quite rightly say, going inverted (or attempting to) does the damage... helmeted or not. But, of course, the media always conclude their piece with "he/she was/wasn't wearing a helmet" whether it's a factor or not.
ski holidays
Meanwhile, over on Mumsnet, they are having a pelmet thread.
latest report
Bode Swiller, I doubt it. Probably a helmet thread too.
latest report
erm... apparently, according to STW they're actually having a thread about rampant rabbits catching fire, apparently.
snow report
andy, Laughing hot stuff eh?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Bode Swiller, I doubt it. Probably a helmet thread too.

pelmet - decorative way of hiding stuff

you could be correct Laughing
snow report
andy wrote:
erm... apparently, according to STW they're actually having a thread about rampant rabbits catching fire, apparently.

STW.....? Is that Severn Trent Water? I suppose they might be concerned about how much water the fire service will use to extinguish said rabbits?
snow conditions
singletrackworld
snow conditions
Quote:

rampant rabbits

Do they need replacing every 2-3 years d'ya think?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

rampant rabbits

Do they need replacing every 2-3 years d'ya think?

Don't suppose they get much UV damage.....unless they are being used as a time killer on the sunbeds
ski holidays
Always handy for stirring drinks by the loungers with minimum effort. Froth up a cappuccino in seconds.
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Always handy for stirring drinks by the loungers with minimum effort. Froth up a cappuccino in seconds.

A helmet? Puzzled

ahh well - I knew they must have some purpose. Puzzled
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Meanwhile, over on Mumsnet, they are having a pelmet thread.

What? Mini skirts?
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

There were so many helmets in one rustic mountain restaurant I visited in Austria last season .

Don't go to Austria then.
snow report
achilles, Laughing Boris out strutting his stuff again?
latest report
Quote:

park skiing hasn't increased that much anyway

Are you serious? Fastest growing segment of the industry accounts for about 10% of Snowdome earnings in the UK alone!
snow report
When I moved to Canada I noticed that virtually everyone wore a hemet so I bit the bullet a bought a helmet so I didn't stand out like a British twonk. Now, many years later I don't know why anyone in their right mind would ski without one. Even the professional falls occasionally..... After one or two weekend on the slopes I dodn't even notice that I was wearing it, and in fact now it feels odd without it.

These formal replacement times do seem like overkill. Plastics do tend to degrade in intesne sunlight, but that is not really going to be a problem for your average holiday skiier when as others have said that the helmet is in a cupboard for 51 weeks a year. I think that most of the shock absorbtion rather than the blunt force impact protection is done by the foam liner anyway. As long as you check the helmet after an impact then I personally don't see the need to go running to the shops to buy another one.

The effect of different types of fall on a helmet can be quite startling though. Last year, one woman in our party has very slow speed backward fall that shattered the back of the helment, whereas I had what I would decribe as a full speed yard sale in which I bounced on the top of my head at least 3 or 4 times and I got up without any damage at all to either me or the helmet. And I have given the helmet a thorough inspection...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy