Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Helmets should be replaced every two to three years"

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Since when was risk reduction/management not part of the debate?

It is. But if you read BertIsfantastic's post he says:

"There is nothing I can do to help the bit of your brain that has been damaged in a head injury but I can try and reduce the impact of the significant rise in intracranial pressure that occurs through cerebral oedema, mass effect of blood, hypoxia, hypercarbia and reduction of cerebral metabolic rate. The bit that was injured initially is toast though. The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets."

That last sentence is tosh. As I explained in my post the vast majority of prevention is through your own actions. An helmet is in no way the primary prevention. It's like chip pan fires. The answer wasn't for everybody to have a fire blanket in the kitchen.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Page 7.... yay Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 4-10-13 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
That last sentence is tosh.

To be fair, what do you expect? He's only a consultant anaesthesiologist dealing with patients with brain injury, and you're, er, a bloke on the internet.

To take you seriously for a moment, I assume the bit you object to is this: 'The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets.'

Sure, that's an exaggeration - the only way to avoid ski-related head injury is to go on holiday to the Algarve - but I think we can take it as read that he means once you have lost your balance and are heading downwards toward the ice or rocks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:

That last sentence is tosh. As I explained in my post the vast majority of prevention is through your own actions. An helmet is in no way the primary prevention. It's like chip pan fires. The answer wasn't for everybody to have a fire blanket in the kitchen.

That reads like you're still suffering from a brain injury.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What I said was:

The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets."

There are other parts to primary prevention too, and perhaps I should have said that. Such as not skiing like a tool, controlling your speed, sticking to appropriate terrain. Wearing a helmet aids in that. I don't wear a helmet when I cycle or ski because I think I'm going to fall off on every journey, I wear one because Ocaisionally other people aren't quite so careful or downright dangerous. There are also things completely out of my control and mechanical failure, my ineptitude, or sheer bad luck may conspire to ruin my day. There is a concept in risk management called the Swiss cheese model. This states that there are several layers of protection, each with a whole in. In order for disaster to occur the wholes must all line up perfectly. To my mind, adding a extra layer in the way reduces the chance of a significant head injury.

I fully accept that the number of really serious head injuries are relatively low and the risk is small. However the consequences may be significant and life changing, not just the person with the mashed up brain. The degree of risk I'm prepared to accept may be lower than others, partly because I'm not a hugely experienced skier, partly because I'm a relatively cautious bloke and mainly because I get to see firsthand the effect of traumatic brain injury.

Sadly I'm not a consultant yet. Still a registrar.

Bert
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
To be fair, what do you expect? He's only a consultant anaesthesiologist dealing with patients with brain injury, and you're, er, a bloke on the internet.

To be fair he is just the guy who knocks you out before you have an operation whilst I am a bloke who has been skiing for 22 years and have read a lot about the cause of ski injuries and what can be done to prevent them Toofy Grin

Quote:

To take you seriously for a moment, I assume the bit you object to is this: 'The only way to protect that is through primary prevention ie wearing helmets.'

I object to that and the fact that the rest of the post added nothing to the debate. Telling me that my skull is not hard as iron and can be damaged in a fall or collision is something I am sure we are all quite aware of.

Quote:

Sure, that's an exaggeration - the only way to avoid ski-related head injury is to go on holiday to the Algarve - but I think we can take it as read that he means once you have lost your balance and are heading downwards toward the ice or rocks.

It wasn't an exagerration, it was just plain wrong and consequently grossly misleading. It makes light of all the other actions you take to prevent an accident and it also fails to highlight that should an accident occur it may not save you - as in, if you ski into a rock wall or off a cliff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As to the OPs point that helmet manufacturers are using dubious stats to sell more helmets, why an earth is anyone surprised by this. Of course they are. They are trying to make a profit. Lots of research is not quality and some of itis fundamentally flawed. Things that appear in peer reviewed journals are often trashed by others with research that contradicts this. It is important to look at who is likely to benefit and take what they say with a pinch of salt. Buying a new helmet every 2 years if it's only been worn for 2weeks seems daft. Buying a new one if it's been worn and abused every day for two seasons seems sensible.

Bert
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertIsfantastic,
Thanks for the considered reply and not taking it personally (as it wasn't meant to be personal). Ironically I now think we are broadly in agreement. By using the word primary you were, in my eyes, indicating that it was the main way of preventing injury. That is what I was objecting to. And I do think with the increased usage of helmets that the main methods of preventing injury have been sidelined.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne - it is a popular misconception that anaesthetists just knock people out before operations, although that is a significant portion of the workload. The vast majority of critical care ie looking after the sickest people in hospital whether in resus, itu or theatres is done by anaesthetists. If I were critically ill and needed someone to keep me alive then I'd pick an anaesthetist.

Bert
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry perhaps I should have said in head injury terms there is the primary injury ie smacking your head against a rock and secondary injury from rises in INtracranial pressure and low tissue oxygen levels. Primary prevention refers to stopping the injury in the first place and the majority of this is education and training along side safety equipment. Having a helmet in no ways mitigates for lacking in other areas. All should be taught.

There is is always going to be the "I'm wearing a helmet therefore I'm invincible" brigade who won't mitigate their risk in other ways such as not skiing like dicks but sadly that's life.

Bert
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BertIsfantastic wrote:
As to the OPs point that helmet manufacturers are using dubious stats to sell more helmets, why an earth is anyone surprised by this.

Well, let's go back to it. The article "Why You Need a New Helmet" on the OutsideOnline.com site ... included ...

"... helmets should be replaced every two to three years ... built-in Skullcandy headphones in the Smith Gage ... now the science and technology behind them ... protect against serious brain trauma ..."

According to the page it was written by Kade Krichko. The site is impressively large, based on the print magazine Outside, which has been established since 1978. It claims ...

"The mission of Outside is to inspire active participation in the world outside through award-winning coverage of ... gear and apparel ... Outside Online slips the bonds of print, so we can offer you a wealth of information in a variety of forms that you can't get anywhere but online ... "

Source: http://www.outsideonline.com/contact-us/contact-us.html

Given the multiple layers of editorial control shown on that page, I'm wondering how an article of that quality got to be published. Helmet advice is a very important issue in skiing.

BertIsfantastic, I'm surprised by the article because it seems to amount to a writer simply taking dictation ['helmet hype'] from the helmet industry. That's not how journalism is supposed to work!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:

To be fair he is just the guy who knocks you out before you have an operation whilst I am a bloke who has been skiing for 22 years and have read a lot about the cause of ski injuries and what can be done to prevent them

I've been skiing for 30 years, and I've read more. Do I win?

More seriously, one of the guys I ski with on boys' trips each year is a neurosurgeon - quite a famous one, always in the papers, treats a lot of boxers.

He's been skiing for 40 years and I absolutely guarantee you he has read more of the literature than both of us, put together; he's written a fair bit of it.

He'd tell you that there's absolutely no doubt that helmets are a major factor in the severity of head injuries once you've lost control.

Obviously - like, painfully obviously - the main defence against suffering head injuries while skiing is not to ski (as I said re going to the Algarve - where you are more likely to drown or die from heatstroke).

The second line of defence is not to lose control; sadly, literally none of us can guarantee that s/he will never lose control, for the reasons outlined above.

My mate would equally defend your right to ski without a lid; in the long run it's more bunce for him, after all.

He's got shares in companies making wheelchairs and incontinence pads, too.

(They're sick bastids, doctors.)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a significant degree of advertising going on, but magazines need advertising to survive. It's not a brilliantly written article at all but it does raise an important point:

Helmets are single crash and should replaced after a decent smash.

The same goes for cycle and motorcycle helmets. If it stops someone trying to squeeze another season out of a knackered helmet rather than spending £50 on a new one then maybe that's a good thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So from these seven pages of the usual rubbish we learn that:

- hitting your head can be bad for you
- people who make helmets want to sell more helmets
- journalists on magazines have been known to write a lot of b0llocks culled from press releases
- Mr Goldbore doesn't wear a helmet

So that was a worthwhile exercise wasn't it. rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, that should tide us over until at least the new year. Merry New Season Everyone!
latest report
I suppose you could always just not read this thread, or any others dealing with the oddly exercising topic of helmets, Lizzard?

You can apply reductio ad absurdum to most things on the net.

Coffee and boredom, I blame.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

- journalists on magazines have been known to write a lot of b0llocks culled from press releases

- Lizzard is still with us, enthusiastically pontificating, on the 7th page
- Helmets need changing every 3 pages
- Vikings wore helmets but regularly died of head injuries
latest report
Quote:

Helmets are single crash and should replaced after a decent smash.

The problem is I suppose that there is no specific definition of "decent smash", and as quoted on a previous thread, the ISSS report around testing 'pre-conditioned' as in damaged to some extent doesn't clarify that either. So if we choose to wear a helmet, how do we know if it is damaged?. Which I suspect leads into the we will take it out of the hands of specifics and generalise, ie replace after a set period, as opposed to 'review, check, test' and replace if required.
snow report
Oh, last season I was standing next to a lift queue. I heard a noise and look up to see a snowboard fly past about 5 feet from me at head height. A rescue was taking place approx 250m above me of a boarder with injuries and one of the stretcher guys had knocked it from where it was laying. It had picked up speed and then went airborne over a small wall of pushed up snow. Try predicting that one. Admittedly it is not very often I see a close call with head injuries.
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Oh, last season I was standing next to a lift queue. I heard a noise and look up to see a snowboard fly past about 5 feet from me at head height. A rescue was taking place approx 250m above me of a boarder with injuries and one of the stretcher guys had knocked it from where it was laying. It had picked up speed and then went airborne over a small wall of pushed up snow. Try predicting that one. Admittedly it is not very often I see a close call with head injuries.

That's a good example, I got taken out by a loose ski in selva in 1998, fortunately it got me in the ski, so apart from ending up on my back bottom and a fooked ski I escaped. In your example the likely scenario (human nature) would probably have meant you or someone else turning around and catching the board square in the face. What benefit would the helmet have provided in that instance?
snow conditions
Quote:

BertIsfantastic Layne - it is a popular misconception that anaesthetists just knock people out before operations, although that is a significant portion of the workload. The vast majority of critical care ie looking after the sickest people in hospital whether in resus, itu or theatres is done by anaesthetists. If I were critically ill and needed someone to keep me alive then I'd pick an anaesthetist.

Understood. I was being a bit facetious. It was northernsoulboys fault - he wasn't taking me seriously wink

northernsoulboy, what BertIsfantastic, said here was exactly my point:
Quote:
Primary prevention refers to stopping the injury in the first place and the majority of this is education and training along side safety equipment. Having a helmet in no ways mitigates for lacking in other areas. All should be taught.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Avalanche Poodle wrote:

That's a good example, I got taken out by a loose ski in selva in 1998, fortunately it got me in the ski, so apart from ending up on my back bottom and a fooked ski I escaped. In your example the likely scenario (human nature) would probably have meant you or someone else turning around and catching the board square in the face. What benefit would the helmet have provided in that instance?

Eh? Wearing gloves wouldn't have prevented a facial injury either, but you still wear them.

Using the example of an injury that a helmet is not designed to help protect against is hardly a reason to say they don't offer any protection.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

But more would have died had they not worn helmets. The rest just got away with minor or serious injuries where it would have been fatal without a helmet.
snow conditions
Think about it this way.... if you had were asked to do a short talk about safety and accident prevention on the slopes at what point would you mention helmets.

First, second, third...?

Page 8 beckons...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 4-10-13 15:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Understanding the treatment of head injuries is one thing but frankly it is utterly irrelevant as to whether or not I should wear a lid. I do not ski particularly aggressively or quickly and I eschew jumps. All this points to the fact that my risk of head injury from skiing is miniscule, far smaller than my risk from head injury when driving for instance. Understanding the treatment of head injury is frankly utterly irrelevant to my decision.
ski holidays
feef wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Avalanche Poodle wrote:

Eh? Wearing gloves wouldn't have prevented a facial injury either, but you still wear them.

Using the example of an injury that a helmet is not designed to help protect against is hardly a reason to say they don't offer any protection.

I never have or would say that helmets don't offer protection. But using an extremely unlikely scenario to suggest one must wear a helmet isn't justification either. Plus we wear gloves because of the temperature primarily don't we?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 4-10-13 15:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We at 8 pages yet?
ski holidays
I am with ansta1 on this one*. Let's keep it real.

*That's twice in a week... I'm off for a lie down... maybe it's all those knocks I've taken while out skiing..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
We at 8 pages yet?

No

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 4-10-13 15:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Quote:
We at 8 pages yet?

No

oh.
snow report
In an effort to get this to 8 pages...

latest report
Excellent contribution, Swiller. Also ... you don't necessarily need a helmet to crash into a tree ...

http://www.newschoolers.com/watch/660354.0/funny-tree-crash?c=13
snow report
Layne wrote:
northernsoulboy, what BertIsfantastic, said here was exactly my point:

Yes, I read that a bit differently.

What really happened was, you told him he had 'added nothing' and was 'talking tosh', and he explained, fairly patiently, to you that he agreed with the fantatically trivial point that a helmet won't necessarily save you from injury if you ski like a d-ck.

Yes, we know, and we all agree.

But this is a straw man.

The point is, you can ski like Roger Moore and the unexpected can take you out.

In those circs, you're better off with something protective wrapped round your swede than not.

But as I've repeatedly said, wear one, don't wear one, I couldn't care less.

I just enjoy these threads Laughing
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle wrote:

Landing at Heathrow with Air France once the aircraft veered suddenly to the left and several overhead lockers opened and bags fell out onto those sat below, myself included. Luckily it was only a soft bag that hit me and not someone's duty free or overloaded wheely case, which could have been nasty. Should I use this equally rare occurance as an example of why I should wear my helmet on the plane?

....although on reflection it would help with hand luggage restrictions if I did wear one wink
ski holidays
Whitters, Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Landing at Heathrow with Air France once the aircraft veered suddenly to the left

At the exact moment M. Hollande was elected? wink
ski holidays
feef wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

But more would have died had they not worn helmets. The rest just got away with minor or serious injuries where it would have been fatal without a helmet.

..but did they change them every third pillage?
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Avalanche Poodle wrote:

Landing at Heathrow with Air France once the aircraft veered suddenly to the left and several overhead lockers opened and bags fell out onto those sat below, myself included. Luckily it was only a soft bag that hit me and not someone's duty free or overloaded wheely case, which could have been nasty. Should I use this equally rare occurance as an example of why I should wear my helmet on the plane?

Very weak, fallacious argument.
latest report
The original point or the reply?
snow report
Your'e an accident prone bunch you lot!, if it's not you that's had your life saved by a helmet, had a head injury then you have seen / know someone that's come to greif!.
In 27 years of skiing / about 70 weeks on skis,
I have had zero injuries that would have been prevented by a helmet
I have seen one minor injury that might have been prevented by a helmet
I have never met anyone that has had life changing head injury, neck injury, yes.

I fancied the early season offpiste bash but you lot are too risky to be around!!! Shocked

Are we on page 8 yet?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy