Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - advice needed please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Really looking for some advice about where to stay in Les Arcs.

My stepson is going to be working the season up in a chalet in Arcs 2000, so my husband and I are planning to go and visit. Clearly, we don't want to stay with him as that seems a little unfair! We are looking for somewhere with a bit of life, as it is likely to be 4 adults going, but where we can get up to 2000 to take him out for a beer after work. I have noticed that alot of the accommodation in Les Arcs also seems to be self catering and hotels. Also, alot of the ski holidays seem to be through agents like Crystal and Inghams. We usually ski in Morzine, so are used to a lively town and lots of catered chalets! We also tend to book our own flights, etc separately.

Any advice and tips would be gratefully recieved!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was offered a season in Les Arc 2000 (not doing it tho - mayrhofen now) this year so I did a little research and the mid resort (1800) seems to be the most lively place with the majority of bars and restaurants being there . 1600 is more for quieter less rowdy families so im told. Only potential issue is that if you do go out with your son in 1800 and hes based in 2000 im not sure what the transport system is like at that time, there should be taxis or buses i imagine. What company is he working for?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply. He is working for Inghams on his first ski season. Feels like we might have to make the choice between lively and close to him...

Any good tips on accommodation??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the new village at 1950 may suit you better. I think getting to and from 1800 in the evenings will be a pain - though others will know for sure. How do you normally book your catered chalet? Can you not do the same here... or were you looking for specific tips?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been booking through Chalets Direct for as long as I can remember, although we found a cracking place in Morzine that we are just going back to this year. I looked on there for Les Arcs and there seems to be much less choice, although I guess that might just be that the resort is smaller?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arc 1950. good standard ski-in/ski-out accommodation. car park underneath the whole village. 2 or 3 bars, one good wine bar, one (sometimes 2) night clubs, several restaurants, and u don't need to wear a jacket to visit any of them from wherever you're staying. the cabriolet link to 2000 runs til 11.00 p.m and is free so u can visit each other v easily and use the various restaurants/bars in 2000 as well. if there are 4 of u, rent a 6-person apartment unless one couple don't mind a sofa-bed. top floor apartments have fireplaces so specify that for a more chalet-like feel. u can call the village direct if u don't want to use a tour operator.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with Layne. 1950/2000 are easily linked I believe, so 1950 might be your best option, near enough to see your stepson but also giving space too. Theres still entertainment up there but like I say from research 1800 is apparantly the more rowdy spot. I was offered a reps job with Inghams at those resorts so I would have been working with him!

I was Inghams last season and Inghams employees can get a 10% discount for family members if they wish to book with them. you dont receive it instantly, its more of an application after youve booked that gets sent to head office for processing and refunds ( i think!)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I looked on there for Les Arcs and there seems to be much less choice, although I guess that might just be that the resort is smaller?

"Les Arcs" is several villages of varying sizes.

Are looking for exclusive use of a catered chalet. I doubt that is possible with just 4. Assuming not, then I would probably be looking at TO packages. Alternatively I would DIY - book an apartment and eat out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Catered chalets are mostly to be found in Vallandry (one of the lower villages in Les Arcs). If you are looking to meet your stepson after skiing you really should be looking at staying in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 (unless you have a car and are happy for a reasonably long drive to see him). Unlike Morzine, Arc 1950 and 2000 are high altitude and purpose built, so there aren't really small chalet size buildings. I think some of the TOs operate some of their larger apartments in 2000 as catered 'chalets', but it is mostly hotel and self-catering accommodation. Of the two I prefer 1950, and staying there isn't a problem in terms of meeting your stepson as there is a pedestrian friendly lift which links to the two resorts in the evening.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don Keebles wrote:
Arc 1950. good standard ski-in/ski-out accommodation. car park underneath the whole village. 2 or 3 bars, one good wine bar, one (sometimes 2) night clubs, several restaurants, and u don't need to wear a jacket to visit any of them from wherever you're staying. the cabriolet link to 2000 runs til 11.00 p.m and is free so u can visit each other v easily and use the various restaurants/bars in 2000 as well. if there are 4 of u, rent a 6-person apartment unless one couple don't mind a sofa-bed. top floor apartments have fireplaces so specify that for a more chalet-like feel. u can call the village direct if u don't want to use a tour operator.

Seems pretty useful!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shawsy, Your stepson is working in Arc 2000 then stay in Arc 2000. 1800 and 1600 are just not practical for meeting up in the evening and as others have said elsewhere the track back to 1950 may not be ideal late at night. There are a number of lively bars and good restaurants in 2000 (as well as bowling alley!) . IIRC the chalet companies such as skiworld http://www.skiworld.co.uk operate chalets there. I stayed in one a couple of years ago. Or alternatively book a big apartment and simply eat out every evening.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shawsy, as johnE, says. If your stepson is in Arc 2000 then you need to be in either Arc 2000 or Arc 1950. Both places have a mix of self catering or catered and are linked until late each evening by a gondola. You can look on the Les Arcs booking page or on the Arc 1950 page for direct booking. Most of the links you need are at the start of the Les Arcs 2013 / 2014 season thread over in the snow reports section or on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102352 or https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

Hope that helps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to feel like you're staying in early 90's moss side in manchester then 2000 is for you ! But just for the feel of an alpine resort then stay in 1950, I think it's owned by an American company who own one of the major resorts and it's more suited to adults in my humble opinion.
I found 2000 to be very quiet and so much so that we were walking along the platform at the top of the lift and the bar there (which doubled up as a hotel reception) looked packed so we all steamed in there and a few headed straight to the bar and then I started to look round and then it dawned on us that we were getting dirty looks from everyone in there and it's only then we realised it was teen disco night Shock
We left, quickly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Negotiations are ongoing between the resort clubs of 2000 and 1950 and Bourg and the ADS to get the cabriolet ( the link between the two villages) open until midnight. As always with a 4 way discussion on "who's going to pay for this then?", these things take a little time.

The bars and clubs in 2000 stay open until morning, and the seasonniare scene is lively. 1950 has bars and restaurants, but it a bit more sedate - apart from O'Chaud which stays open until 2am, is usually done for the evening by 11pm.

1950 was built by Intrawest, but is "owned" by the apartment owners (70% still UK and Irish) , and their ASL and co-props. It is run in the most part by Pierre et Vacances under the leaseback arrangement. in 1950 Erna Low do have some catered options, but it tends to be via a british team based locally, who offer the service into the apartments. There are half board deals too, but frankly, they send you out to the restaurants anyway, so why bother?

The 1950 apartments are very well specc'd and spacious by French standards, tending to the US model - however you will pay for this. E.g. List price of my own apartment (2 bed, 2 bath; sleeps 4, 6 if you use the sofa bed) 53sq m is €1200 in the low weeks, €3340 over new year and 1/2 term. You get what you pay for.

The newer build in 2000 do not reflect the stark 1960 architecture of the original , but are still ( IMHO!) not as pretty or as convenient for skiing as 1950. In 1950 the pistes are through the car free village, and you clip in / out on your doorstep.

I would certainly suggest you want to choose one of the two: going via 1600, 1800 is not really viable if you'd like to see you son in the evening - although skiing with him is certainly possible from the other villages.

But do PM me if you'd like more details.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 13-10-13 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an owner in Arc 1950 I am bound to be biased but I can confirm the comments made above, it really is a cut above some of the 'concrete rabbit hutch' designs the French threw up in the 70s and 80s.We often go up to Arc 2000 for a meal/drink or to play bowling in the Sports bar and if we miss the last cabriolet we just walk back down the piste to Arc 1950 taking no more than 10 minutes!
Have a look at the details of our apartment here to give you an idea

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR5609.htm
ski holidays
Shawsy, perhaps a question to ask is: what job is your stepson going to be doing? If working for Inghams in Les Arcs 2000 then I guess its most likely as a chalet host or as a rep? If as a chalet host then you have to bear in mind his working hours, which will be 730 to 9.30/10am every morning, 5.30/6pm - 9.00/9.30pm (or later) in the evenings. As a rep he'll have much more free time than that.

So I guess the question is; when will you be looking to meet up? If it's after he finishes work in the evenings then you clearly need to be in 2000 or 1950. If you're only meeting up during the day for a ski then you can really stay where you like in all of Les Arcs. Just remember that getting between 1800 and 2000 on public buses is a real mission, and the buses stop running in the early(ish) evening, so going out in 2000 until 10pm then getting the bus back isn't possible. And (at least from when I last worked there 2 years ago) taxis are very much a rarity.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy