Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck Airport to Stubaital - By Bus

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked Innsbruck flights, Sunday to Sunday, for a week at the end of March 2014. The plan is to ski on piste on our first and last days, with five days hut to hut ski touring (Mon - Fri) in between Smile .

Because of the ski touring we want to avoid hiring a car if we can, as it would just be parked for five days. So the question is: After landing at 09.50 on a Sunday, how quickly can we get skiing in the Stubai Valley on arrival day if we travel by bus? We're thinking of booking the first night's digs in Fulpmes or Neustift - so may need to drop off bags before we can go skiing. Never skied at Schlick 2000 - but that looks ok for a half or three quarter day? Any lockers there for bags? Or we could ski the Elfer at Neustift as we climbed it in summer many years ago and it would be nice to ski there.

We could always get a taxi - but wuld be happy with the bus if we can get at least a few hours in on arrival day. Our last day's skiing won't be a problem - it will be a saturday, with the flight home the next morning.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some info here in German, looks like there are buses and low cost Taxis
http://www.stubai.at/de/info-service/fahrplaene-nahverkehr

http://www.stubai.at/pdf/fahrplaene/skibus-2013-14/winterskibus-2013_14.pdf

http://www.stubai.at/pdf/fahrplaene/lnp_stubaital.pdf

Maybe someone can come up with something in English.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.ivb.at/en/home.html?no_cache=1 Innsbruck public transport website. It doesn't seem to have the timetables for next year yet - at least I couldn't get it to find a bus journey for March in the couple of minutes I spent looking at it to see if it would be useful to you, or not!
What I did find was there are plenty of buses going to Neustift (on a random date next week), it takes 1hr 12mins and costs €7,10... Changing buses once. I can't imagine that the timetable will change too dramatically between now and next March.
I'm sure Clarky999 will be along soon - he'll know the answer, for sure Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
F bus to station (20mins?)
then I thought it was STB tram to Stubaital (over an hour to the end?)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy, yep, that's what I have done in the past! Tram to the Hauptbahnhof and then catch the bus up to Stubai
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, depends a bit on exact bus times for connections, but around 15 mins to get from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof (I forget the line number, sorry), then get the Stubai bus up the valley. The winter one takes around an hour to get to the glacier, so probably 40-45mins to get to Neustift, and costs just over €6 return (think you have to use the return on the same day though). A little less to get to Fulpmes. There's also a tram to get to Fulpmes, takes a little over an hour from the Hauptbahnhof. I presume it costs a little more than the bus, but I've never used to so not sure. This won't get you upto Neustift though, you'd have to get a bus from Fulpmes.

In terms of skiing, go to Schlick. Great little resort, and there's a surprising amount of fun stuff if you take a look around. If you take your skins up, you'll see plenty of hike-to lines too. Some (fairly mellow) examples:

http://youtube.com/v/J9KSBk5ZNZo

http://www.almenrausch.at/touren/suchergebnisse/tour/niederer-und-hoher-burgstall-24362611-m1664.html

I wouldn't bother with the 11er Lifte. There's supposed to be some great touring from there, and one really nice offpiste run down the side, but when I tried to find it I found 200m of lovely open powder, then a 4 hour bushwhack through the forest to get back to the car park. The pisted area is small and pretty poor, Schlick is much better!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow! Thanks to you all for your swift & highly informative responses - you can always rely on Snowheads! Much obliged.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"I wouldn't bother with the 11er Lifte....."

We are dealing with mountainaddict here! He regularly drives an hour to ski tour on a strip of snow in the Pennines and has been known to "pop" (a mere 5 hour drive) to Cairngorm in August to carry his skis for 2 hours to ski a 100 metre snow patch!

So we shouldn't rule out the Elfer lift. He'll think he's in the 3 Valleys! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
He regularly drives an hour to ski tour on a strip of snow in the Pennines and has been known to "pop" (a mere 5 hour drive) to Cairngorm in August to carry his skis for 2 hours to ski a 100 metre snow patch!

Bergmeister:I have absolutely no idea why you would say such a thing rolling eyes! Some may call it madness - but Mrs MA and I call it epic wink....

Bring on the Elfer I say
Toofy Grin !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all for the hints, tips and website links. Things are coming together and I have sussed out the public transport options - a car won't be necessary, which is great.

I've booked our first night's digs in Neustift, as that's where we need to meet the guide to go ski touring. The last 2 nights will be in Fulpmes, where I've booked a nice looking place that will be lovely after 4 nights in mountain huts. Planning on skiing Schlick 2000 from the Fulpmes hotel, then travelling by tram and/or bus back to Innsbruck for our flight home.

We'll check out snow conditions just before we go and then decide where to ski on arrival day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy