Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car vs flight for 1/2 term

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked our friends apartment in Andorra for 1/2 term, Mrs T didn't want to drive this time so we looked into flights,
fuel to airport & parking ~£100
Flights for 4 £980
Transfers to Soldeu £250
Total £1330
total travel time ~11hrs

Car (Ford S-max)
fuel, £250 -£300 (depends on how fast we drive) 2000 mile round trip 36 - 45 mpg
tolls, £120
tunnel, free on Tesco vouchers
total ~£400

But! we travel light and can bring 6 month supply of wine back from France, saving up to £400 based on £10 saving per 3l box of wine (125 kg, no problem for this car) not to mention a few litres of spirits from Andorra.
Total cost, potentially £0
Total travel time with breaks ~ 20 hrs (Pick kids up from school in Whitby, 5 hrs to tunnel, 2 hrs check in and crossing, 13 hrs overnight to Soldeu)

It's a gruelling drive that we have done about 15 times now but there's a lot Mrs T can do with £1300! and I've grown to really hate airports!.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hate airports, but hate driving overnight with the kids on board in the winter even more.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman,

Aren't yours doing the driving yet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about driving but to somewhere closer than Soldeu?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher, No sadly... but it was a rhetorical post.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon, you need also to add insurance, breakdown cover, winterisation of your vehicle, maintenance, food for the journey and depreciation. That last point can be significant - every extra 1000 miles driven will reduce the resale value of your car and you can work out how much by looking at something like Parker's guide. I'd suggest £200 for maintenance and depreciation.

It's still a lot cheaper than flying, though. We always drive to the Alps in the summer but prefer to find a hotel than drive overnight. Even that's cheaper than flying and hiring a suitable vehicle - and, in my view, much more pleasant, too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangowaggon, Do you really drink nearly 5 litres of wine a week.............. Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, I found driving overnight when my son was young the easiest way to the Alpes. Load every thing into the car about 19:00 and set off. My Son would sleep from the end of the drive to Albertville. Actually he still does, day or night.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How about driving but to somewhere closer than Soldeu? Sun 29 Sep, 13

Yes but we can't get an apartment for £300 in half term week!!!!,

From a safety point of view, overnight with the kids has it's issues but the roads are virtually deserted so less risk from other drivers, As far as the journey is concerned overnight is best for the kids as they sleep most of the way and we get peace and quiet, the built in DVD player takes care of the rest!

the car insurance and breakdown cover include europe anyway, the car is already winterised, we run all season tyres year round, the journey is 1700 miles more than we would normally drive in a week so, yes there is some cost for wear and tear / servicing. At 7 yrs old / 130000 miles on the clock, the car is not worth much anyway
Quote:

tangowaggon, Do you really drink nearly 5 litres of wine a week..............

Erm, no, make that a years supply for Mrs T and me as well as friends.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz wrote:
tangowaggon, Do you really drink nearly 5 litres of wine a week.............. Shocked

Exactly what I was thinking....how do you manage to only drink that? We drink 1.5l a night on average over a 6 months period Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Do you really drink nearly 5 litres of wine a week..............

Lightweight

For me has to be car every time - just prefer being in control.

Quote:

you need also to add insurance, breakdown cover, winterisation of your vehicle, maintenance, food for the journey and depreciation.

Most, if not all, are already accounted for in my case as have to have them in any case so not an additional cost. With annual mileage over 30,000 then hardly affects depreciation as car will be worth £0 when we change it. But take point that there are other costs to consider, but you could take that down to Nth degree and start gtting silly about it for any form of transport
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

car will be worth £0 when we change it.

that's my take too. I am changing cars and the old one got a massive £500 on trade-in (very expensive MOT failure coming up) with 129K miles on the clock and after a hard life including lots of Alpine trips. My son and daughter in law have two cars, he's been commuting into Bristol in a Y reg Fiesta which has been fantastic, doesn't owe them a penny. They have just got a newer car so the Fiesta is being "retired". They lent it to me, as I am between cars, but I just heard from my local garage that it's an MOT fail too - not worth repairing, so I will take it to a scrap yard before the MOT runs out next week.

Drive 'em into the ground, I say! Buying a spanking new car and then changing it after 2 years of massive depreciation seems a bit crazy to me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, pam w, you're right that, for many people, the cost of depreciation and maintenance is trivial; it all depends on the car you drive and how often you change it. I highlighted the issue because if you're a new-car-every-two-years kind of person, it's a surprisingly large cost that shouldn't be ignored. Winterisation can be a biggie if you need a new set of winter tyres to go to Austria; if, like many people, you go somewhere where you don't need special rubber or you already have M+S tyres on your car, it's again immaterial. The other stuff is, relatively speaking, loose change.

I also agree with johnE that overnight travel is a great option if your kids are young. Sleeping youngsters make better passengers than bored, squabbling wide-awake kids, and, the younger your kids are, the greater the hassle of an overnight hotel stop.

Depending on the parking facilities available in your resort, having a car can also be a great benefit when you're at your destination. You get to buy your food at supermarket prices, take off each morning from a lift (or even resort) that you fancy instead of one on a bus route, and it's much, much easier to herd young kids into a car than onto a bus. You can also take advantage of cheap, roomy properties that have poor public transport links. I've used a car at several car-friendly North American resorts and it's a very family-friendly way of organising the holiday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From my calculations, as soon as there's 3 of you, driving is worthwhile as long as you don't mind the slog. Personally, I'd happily drive that distance.

Winterisation, My plan is to run on winter tyres all year round, and already have chains, so not a significant additional cost.

Insurance is included already, as is breakdown cover...

Just unfortunate that it's just me that going skiing these days, tending to meet people in resort rather than travelling with them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sometimes, not even 3, but depends where you live, and where you drive (eg tolls etc.)

My next ski trip worked out at almost exactly the same price for 1 person, regardless of method of transport: Fly, Drive or Train (with upgrade to 1st class).

I chose train, just because I'd rather not do an 8-9 hour car journey every weekend in December, and flying incurs a bonus faff.
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
tangowaggon, you need also to add insurance, breakdown cover, winterisation of your vehicle, maintenance, food for the journey and depreciation. That last point can be significant - every extra 1000 miles driven will reduce the resale value of your car and you can work out how much by looking at something like Parker's guide. I'd suggest £200 for maintenance and depreciation.

It's still a lot cheaper than flying, though. We always drive to the Alps in the summer but prefer to find a hotel than drive overnight. Even that's cheaper than flying and hiring a suitable vehicle - and, in my view, much more pleasant, too.

but then for flying you need to add in the cost of food/drink at airport(s) or on planes there and back potentially
snow conditions
The trade-off depends a lot on flight prices. We just booked 4 tickets Bournemouth - Geneva return in April for under £300. (easyJet late-season tickets are now on sale).
snow conditions
[quote="tangowaggon"]
Quote:

At 7 yrs old / 130000 miles on the clock, the car is not worth much anyway .

If you plan to replace it at some point, that's an incorrect analysis.

Suppose you buy a car for £15K, do 150,000 miles until it's uneconomic to maintain, scrap it and repeat. Then it has cost you 10p per mile in depreciation. Plug in your own numbers, it doesn't matter, depreciation per mile is a significant cost.

Unless you do maintenance yourself, that's a per mile cost as well. £250 service every 10,000 miles = 2.5p per mile.

So there's the best part of three hundred quid on your 2000 mile journey.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-09-13 16:05; edited 3 times in total
latest report
or 10p per mile for a beneficial convenience.
ski holidays
kitenski, food and drink can be dirt cheap if you pack your own sarnies, or it can be expensive if you decide that the longer journey time should be compensated by a decent meal and a glass of wine.

As I said, I'm in favour of driving. You can make your drive cheap and cheerful if you want, but, even if you make the trip a luxury one with a comfortable hotel stop, decent food and all the add-ons, it's still cheaper than the dismal experience of a budget flight.
ski holidays
Hmm, 6-7 hours' travel versus 12-15 hours' travel. Bit of a no brainer for me, plus I love flying anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

it's still cheaper than the dismal experience of a budget flight

not necessarily. My example above - 4 return flights to Geneva for under £300. I generally drive because I go for long enough to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't drive for a week, especially with only one or two people in the car. I fly several times a year Gatwick/Genoa for around £90 return. It's budget, but it's not dismal at all, it's absolutely fine; even get a free (sic) gin and tonic. All my easyJet flights in the last few years have also been perfectly OK - pretty well on time, clean planes that stay in the sky till they are supposed to come down - what more do you want?

Flying (even budget) is also, of course, far safer than driving.

I think the fly/drive decision is a different one on each trip, and it depends a lot on your personality. Some people would drive themselves into an early grave, the state they get into if asked to sit at an airport waiting for a flight delayed by an hour or so. But think nothing of lying under a car in the snow in the dark, trying to find the other end of a chain wrapped round the back of a wheel. It's the illusion of "being in control". wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I think the fly/drive decision is a different one on each trip, and it depends a lot on your personality.

Of course - although the original question was about half term when budget flights are in scarce supply and airports are at their very worst.

I've driven down to the Alps or Southern Europe every year for nearly two decades in the school summer holidays, and it's always been cheaper than flying for a family of five. But that's not really why we take the car: the consensus view in my family is that driving is significantly more comfortable and relaxing, even though the journey takes longer. We can take as much luggage as we want, including bulky items like bikes and guitars, and, with an overnight break and a decent meal in a reasonable hotel, fatigue simply isn't an issue.

For me, the comparison is skewed by having a spacious, comfortable car (Discovery) that makes airline and airport seats look like torture devices, and the extra day's travelling isn't too serious because I live far enough from Heathrow and Gatwick to generally need an airport hotel in any case. If I had fewer kids, lived in London or travelled outside school holidays, I might see the world differently.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's the illusion of "being in control

Quite - I kid myself I'm in control of the car and get scared stupid about not being in charge of a plane (I'm not scared of flying, I'm terrified of crashing).

Jonny Jones, we have Disco as well - about as fuel efficint as a Boeing 747 Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

about as fuel efficint as a Boeing 747

per passenger mile? Possibly not. wink
snow report
tangowagon, as you're a narthener have a look at the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge. Dearer than the tunnel but you get to sleep pretty well at night & will be driving in the daytime. Plus you're replacing the horrendous drive to Dover (M25 & Operation Stack risk) with miles on the euro motorway which is a lot easier. Rotterdam ferry a lot newer with better food than the Zeebrugge one plus the commercial vehicles are separated from the private cars which makes for speedier loading/unloading. Worth paying the extra few quid for priority loading/unloading as that can take an hour off your journey t'other side. And as soon as you board book a restaurant table to ensure you eat at a reasonable time.

I'll be doing this trip this season (Crimbo & the EoSB) for the first time but loads of my customers do it regularly & the above advice is from them.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

about as fuel efficint as a Boeing 747

per passenger mile? Possibly not. wink

I should have said a 747 with 5 passengers wink
ski holidays
We're thinking of driving to the Alps for the first time ever at Christmas Very Happy I'm sure just for 2 of us it would be cheaper to fly but we've always wanted to drive there & we'll have our new Land Rover to go in so a perfect vehicle Toofy Grin
Living oooopp North I think we'll probably do the Hull to Rotterdam overnight crossing as the drive on the continent is much easier then the drive down to Dover. I'm just looking forward to no luggage restrictions & no airport security queue Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm just looking forward to no luggage restrictions & no airport security queue

And if you avoid busy holiday times you should also be able to look forward to no queues and delays at the Channel. And possibly no queues at the péage gates and no hours driving behind a snow plough at 30 mph along the autoroute.

Only kidding - I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive, but a Land Rover is not, of course, the perfect vehicle, given the enormous fuel consumption. You don't need 4WD, just front wheel drive and 4 good winter tyres. wink
snow report
spyderjon, meribel46, we did the overnight Zeebrugge/Hull ferry on our return leg this summer and probably won't do it again. As we were approaching the channel ports we had this feeling that if we'd been on the Tunnel as usual we'd have been home that night and so we felt that we were losing/wasting time by taking a night on the ferry when we actually could have got home. Secondly the cost difference is significant between North Sea and Dover Calais routes. The 'Pride of York' was a misnomer if ever I heard one; this ferry was really in poor shape and in dire need of a refit, even the Brasserie food and service was not up to the usual standards. I gather the better ferries are on the Rotterdam route (done that once about 4 years ago) but the timings were better on the Zeebrugge route and Zeebrugge was a bit closer(IIRC). I'm pretty sure there was no priority boarding option on the crossing either as I booked it on the way out(Dover-Calais) but wasn't offered it on the return. I wouldn't chance the North Sea in Winter either, that old wreck was rolling badly enough in the night in the middle of August so as for getting a good night's sleep I didn't Laughing

Just my opinion and I know it's very negative but even driving from South Manchester I'd rather go Dover-Folkestone/Calais.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm just looking forward to no luggage restrictions & no airport security queue

And if you avoid busy holiday times you should also be able to look forward to no queues and delays at the Channel. And possibly no queues at the péage gates and no hours driving behind a snow plough at 30 mph along the autoroute.

Only kidding - I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive, but a Land Rover is not, of course, the perfect vehicle, given the enormous fuel consumption. You don't need 4WD, just front wheel drive and 4 good winter tyres. wink

In Meribel this year the Citroen hire car (on winter tyres) our friends had couldn't get out of the drive of the chalet we were in, neither could the French chalet staff in the winter tyred FWD Seat but the 4WD Mazda Bongo campervan that was with us sailed up the drive Toofy Grin We have the Land Rover for other reasons & I'm we certainly wouldn't fit skis in our other car! It'll average around 30mpg on a long run so not the worst fuel consuption ever wink

But as you say we'll love the drive-its an adventure & where better to have an adventure but the Alps in winter Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
In defence of the Disco - we managed 30mpg on last trip, not brilliant but I've known worse!

And for us it IS the perfect vehicle - very few cars have 3 proper, equally sized seats, which are essential for 3 kids. Agree 4wd not really needed for skiing, but is very handy for towing caravan on other trips.

But I would say all that wouldn't I wink
ski holidays
Thanks for that advice, I've never done the Hull crossing before we've always done Dover Calais but only ever done summer so just thought it would be better to do a short drive to Hull rather than head down South on a dark,cold winter night but maybe we need to have a re-think Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-09-13 20:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Driving by car gives som flexibility: 2 extra skidays Very Happy ,if staying ovnight near skiing place. And many skies in the topbox (and all the female's staff in the trunk!).
1500 km with one ferry crossing from Cph.

However when going skiing in Japan we have not tried the car yet wink - but time driving to the Alps is almost the same - (1 day for transport Sad ), and DVD skreen is the same for kids in car og plane. (nobel peace pris for that inventer)

So do what you feel most comfatable with, and please - admin - what about a spellcheck system for us forgeiners? Embarassed
latest report
meribel46, it might work better for you, having tried it again this summer, for us I think Dover Calais works better. Good luck though, driving there is the way to do it Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive, but a Land Rover is not, of course, the perfect vehicle, given the enormous fuel consumption. You don't need 4WD, just front wheel drive and 4 good winter tyres.

As demonstrated here Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/3ShJZnH3flQ
ski holidays
boredsurfin, might do better with different tyres? And a different driver, maybe?
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Jonny Jones, we have Disco as well - about as fuel efficint as a Boeing 747 Laughing

On a motorway trip, I typically get 32mpg with the Disco. That's 160 passenger miles per gallon for the family. Meanwhile, according to Hansard, the buses favoured by hair-shirted greens use 63% more fuel. Even trains are only 12% more efficient. Taking a plane to the Alps would use four times as much fuel.

The Land Rover Discovery: every intellectually honest environmentalist should own one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Car trip over flights due to cost and what luggage you can take.
I tried the Hull -Zeebrugge just once, and would not consider doing that again. Even though I live in Manchester and Hull is far closer than Folkestone or Dover. It did reduce my driving time in the UK but having made many trips from Manchester to the French alps (including being the sole driver) the benefits were limited.

No real cost saving.
Total travelling time not much different from going via the channel.
Tatty ship (consider it a cargo vessel that allows passengers)
Very hot and noisy (didn't get much sleep)
Food - average to poor
Due to AM arrival time in Holland I didn't get to resort until the late evening.

If I had a northern based family with kids then that may sway the decision.

I'd rather go earlier, via the tunnel and stop overnight en route to the alps.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
Boris wrote:
Jonny Jones, we have Disco ars well - about as fuel efficint as a Boeing 747 Laughing

On a motorway trip, I typically get 32mpg with the Disco. That's 160 passenger miles per gallon for the family. Meanwhile, according to Hansard, the buses favoured by hair-shirted greens use 63% more fuel. Even trains are only 12% more efficient. Taking a plane to the Alps would use four times as much fuel.

The Land Rover Discovery: every intellectually honest environmentalist should own one Toofy Grin

I'm not sure how that is worked out. A bus will use 3x the fuel yet carry 10x the passenger number.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy