Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Was Woodentop, now errr......Bagpuss?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I still don't have much luck when it comes to video. At CF you have to stand up on the balcony, and we didn't appreciate that under full zoom the light drops out - so does the focus when the zoom backs off in places. So the footage is not brilliant quality wise. However, maybe I can ask you to stick with it please? There is only 2-3 mins worth and some of it does get better and I think it might give a look at a little of what I got up to. It starts with earlier runs and I think the skiing improves towards the later runs in places. There are some short turns and some wide ones - on the 3rd or 4th run I come down the LH side between the jump and the lift on purpose to keep the turns narrow. I am keen to know if you agree with my own opinions:

1. On the whole it looks faster, more fluid and better turn shapes.
2. Shoulders seem better (with some exceptions), but I still need to watch them - the odd gorilla tendency on the turn does creep in from time to time, but not as much as it used to.
3. The stem seems vanquished Very Happy
4. The upper body still looks a tad stiff, but the whole effect seems a little more relaxed - hence Bagpuss rather than Woodentop

Rob, I did try the drill you set, but I think it needs more work as I concentrated so much on it that when I did so the turn shape vanished.

Overall, I'd be happy to know how it looks to a more informed eye please. NB. There should be some pole planting going on.

I'm wearing a red jacket, black trousers and a white helmet and I think once you spot me my lack of style will draw the eye next time. It starts with the blue peril (blue top/bottom and black helmet) that is my son and then I come from the top a few seconds into it, vanish off of the RH side and then come back into shot.

https://vimeo.com/75698240

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-09-13 19:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I'm not remotely qualified to comment on your technique, but you do look confident and relaxed on your skis - and I think you should stop fretting about "lack of style". Chase the S-word right out of your ski vocabulary.

I've had similar problems (but outdoors) trying to do videos - it makes you realise how clever the instructors are at it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I actually thought that looked really nice!

Yes there are technical things to change to 'up' performance, but (as pam w says) you look at ease and in control of things. Definite improvement from the last video. Well done Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That looks like a totally different skier. Hopefully Rob has driven round the bend - sorry, helped you to turn the corner Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You know how it's easy to form an opinion of someone, from their internet forum posts, that actually have no basis in fact? Well I thought you were a crap skier...

Stop beating yourself up, there's a lot of people who are not nearly as good as you are (I'm one of them).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Firstly, you obviously need FC's (and his droid army's) expertise with the camera wink
Secondly, Rob has done a great job!! Your skiing has really improved since the last vid you posted.
Time for you to MTFU, break a sweat and step up the practice to get to 'good'!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awwww......schucks! I'm sure you're all too kind Embarassed , but Thanks Folks Very Happy

Def. better video would help, but there is enough there for me to see what I needed to. Those were mainly later runs, a number of earlier ones were suffering from shoulder issues. I really still have to think about not swinging the shoulders around to try and make the turn happen - I was starting to be more effective in those later runs, but it was consistently effective (mostly - I can see odd misses when I forget) as those are 'one after the other' runs down, however, clearly I still need to concentrate on that.

That improvement was just with hints and tips from Rob on one of their social evenings - I am going to try and have a proper session or two with him before I go on holiday in February - if a few well places hints and tips can do that much - some full sessions will surely be useful Very Happy . He made me aware that a number of issues were stemming from a lack of control of the inside edge of the outer ski on the turn. I can now actually 'feel' this bite early and feel that edge go round the turn actually staying on its edge - I like the feeling! and now I'm trying to make it happen and I now know what I have to do in order to get it to happen (sounds daft, I know, that I've got this far without that revelation, but I've never been quite as aware that it needed to happen before). Once I know its happening consistently I'll try and stop leaning into the hill and start to work on this projection 'up, out and over' thing as the turn happens.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-09-13 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's looking much stronger, and you are beginning to develop more efficient movements and getting more performance from your skis. Well done.

Megamum wrote:
Rob, I did try the drill you set, but I think it needs more work as I concentrated so much on it that when I did so the turn shape vanished.
That's pretty common, and I never worry about it. When you introduce something new it usually means shift of focus and you lose an element of your skiing (simply because you are not focusing on it any more). The aspect which has disappeared, in this case turn shape, will return when you no longer have to work so hard on the new thing. Skiing is not a purely linear journey where we get something 'right' and then move on to the next thing until we have ticked off the entire list. We will often need to revisit the core aspects of our skiing to make sure they are as strong as we want them to be. That applies at all levels of skiing, from newbie to racer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I can now actually 'feel' this bite early and feel that edge go round the turn actually staying on its edge - I like the feeling!

snowHead snowHead snowHead I'm sure you'll continue to make even better progress if you concentrate on what you are "feeling" and forget about what you think you are looking like! Are you able to make any of the Inside Out clinics? They'd be hugely helpful - and enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, one or two Inside Out clinics are what I'm going to try and sort out before next February. I need ones dealing with the right areas on a Saturday that I'm around and, ideally, though I'm sure I'd get on well with Scott, I'd like them with Rob, who I've currently got a lot of trust in.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It might sound daft, but I've even realised that when that outside ski is on its edge its almost 'springy' and I can actually 'push' against it and it makes me go faster when I do so!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-09-13 8:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, it's great using pressure along that edge to control turn shape (but much nicer on a big wide blue slope rather than Hemel!). Something I've been practicing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You know what I've just looked again, that outside shoulder does what it shouldn't when I lean into the hill - makes sense. Of course it wouldn't be physically possible to lean into the hill unless I did pull that shoulder around. If I stop leaning into the hill the shoulder ought to fix itself, which is why its looks so much better when I don't do it!! Serendipity is a wonderful thing! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, when you lean in to the hill or drop your inside shoulder you are no longer well balanced on the outside ski. As there is less pressure on that ski it doesn't steer you as effectively as it could, so subconsciously you will do something else to help the ski come around the turn. That something else is often driving the ski by twisting your upper body. Stay well balanced on the ski all the way around the turn, from beginning to end, and it will do the work for you. So the question is, how do we stay well balanced on the ski all the way around the turn, from beginning to end...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Of course it wouldn't be physically possible to lean into the hill unless I did pull that shoulder around.

When I did a course with one of the trainers working with Phil Smith (is that right? I get confused with all those ski outfits) we had video feedback every evening and we saw "below the waist" only. The idea being that we had to get the skis right and PS's instructions were that videos must not show "the whole skier" or we'd just all be faffing about "how we looked".

That was a bit extreme - especially as we practically all wore black trousers. The trainer had no problem telling us apart, even so. But it got us looking at what the skis were doing on the snow, which is the important thing.
ski holidays
pam w, that's a useful thing to do. When doing video feedback I often stick my hand over the screen to obscure the top half or the bottom half of the skier to look in more detail at what is going on, and how rotary separation (or a lack of it) affects the skiing. When analysing your own skiing or other skiers always start with the skis and then look upwards. Too often, IMO, people focus on what the arms are doing (I suppose because they are so obvious) when the problem or solution is located lower down the body.
snow conditions
rob@rar, we do what I hope I've started to do, we shift our weight so the focus is over that ski early in the turn, and we think about standing on the edge of that ski through the turn. When I do that the shoulders seem much better - though at the moment it is still consciously competent (I hope!) - the unconscious habit is still waiting to pounce if I let my guard down!
ski holidays
Well, I got another 2 hours at CFe yesterday. Did some one ski skiing, managed to nail the short ski pole drill that rob@rar, had set for me - rob@rar, I did 5 full runs down with short ski poles and think I really nailed it. I'm sure I've increased my speed and again I found that pick up speed out of corners when I needed to by pressuring the edge. I think I'm also finding this 'open the door and go through it concept' (can't remember exactly how it was described). I was also pleased that I am sure I wasn't leaning into the slope - I could feel the knees in and the upper body out. In short I actually enjoyed myself, I had fun and I am sure I was smiling!!
snow conditions
Megamum, sounds good! "Open the door and DIVE through" is what I tell myself on steep slopes.
ski holidays
Megamum, good work Very Happy
ski holidays
Brava!!!
Do they do monthly unlimited passes? It's nice to go whenever you get the urge.
No Camdroid? snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

It's nice to go whenever you get the urge

As I get older I find that's essential.
snow report
franzClammer, No camdroid, still having problems with the camera - I think its linked to the read/write speed of the SD card, but even getting a quality class 10 one card it's still playing up. The new card worked the first time, but won't function repeatedly - I'm going to try flashing the firmware upgrade to the camera. It's on the to do when I get a spare hour (what's one of those Puzzled ) list. A monthly unlimited pass wouldn't work for CFe - I only get to Manchester infrequently - though more recently this year as my son has a season ticket that is requiring at least a trip every 4-6 weeks to make some use of it. So this year it won't be a full year between just holiday skiing, but the sessions will only be for a couple of hours as daughter likes a chance to go shopping in the Trafford Centre and we have to fit in both during the boy's football time Very Happy

At the slope yesterday every run seemed better than the one previously, I still suffer a little from 'do I really want to go this fast/any faster', but I am sure I def. have more speed than I had. I must have hit the odd turn fully carved and seemed to go round them like a rocket! On some occasions it even felt like the skis were leaving the ground as I flicked them from edge to edge (I'm sure that can't have really been doing so, but it was just a sensation that I had) It will take rob@rar, to say for certain when he next sees me, but I think I have finally moved off of the plateau that I was on and am now improving again.

pam w, pelvic floor exercises are where it's at, eh...........?
snow report
I also like your skiing though I think you tend to take too long between turns. There were a few sections where you linked turns together quite quickly (eg ~2:12), I thought they looked quite stylish.

I'm would guess your camera is underexposing with all the white snow in the scene. If that's the case, see if there's a snow mode on your camera.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy