Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to kill 4 hours in Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
For our March hol in La Plagne, it looks like we will have a fair bit of time in the afternoon between our transfer minibus getting to GVA and the flight back home at half six.

Has anyone got any recommendations on things to do in Geneva, or places to eat (are there any local specialities to look out for)?

Many thanks!

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a good book. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless you like watches, it's one of the most boring cities on the planet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Window Shopping
Coffee with an Ipad
Book - as mentioned above
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep mentioning this place http://www.les-brasseurs.ch/f/geneve/ on here which must be really boring for regulars but I have honestly never had such nice beer any where in the world! My Aunt, then 88 and I had a really nice basic meal there last December accompanied by the wonderful beer!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear!

So my idea of standing by the lake, whilst whistling the theme tune to 'The Champions' possibly isn't that bad then...!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MrSteve, Laughing look on the bright side; how often do you get a chance to relax with a good book? That's what I shall be doing when I wait for the Mountainsun transfer to Tignes on 4 November.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's on a Sunday you'll find that Geneva is shut.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If it's on a Sunday you'll find that Geneva is shut

Very true. I once had an early airport drop off, followed by a later train drop off. About 3 hours in between so son and I set off to find a coffee and a bun. It wasn't a Sunday but it was some kind of "special day" and everything was closed. It took ages to find a coffee - eventually found a shopping complex with a supermarket and café open, a good few miles up the east side of the Lake. And the fountain wasn't going - it was very cold; maybe it was frozen? So it all seemed deader than ever.

The supermarket in the airport (round at the end of the station bit) keeps long hours and is a good source of snacks if you don't want to spend too much on food at airport prices while you wait.

Enjoy! snowHead

PS If there are any small things you need, you could walk down to Ikea. Though not, of course, if it is Sunday. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some nice buildings in the old town across the river from railway station back a street or two from the fountain
Museums are free on Sundays but closed Mondays
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1969jma wrote:
Window Shopping
Coffee with an Ipad
Book - as mentioned above

Coffee at GVA undrinkable expensive muck and 4 hours is a long time at GVA. It is though there is shift in the time space continuum there as time seems to slow to a standstill in there.
As for the "Window shopping", there isn't much there unless you want to pay well above the odds for a watch.

There are a few more shops down towards the railway station (5 minute stroll). Here on a Sunday you can visit the world's busiest grocery, which is jam packed as it is the only place open in Geneva. Here you can buy Swiss bargains such as the 40 quid per kilo salami.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

As for the "Window shopping", there isn't much there unless you want to pay well above the odds for a watch

That's not really fair. I was very taken by the high quality underwear - if I hadn't been dashing to catch a flight I doubt if I could have resisted a very pretty bra, a snip at about £200. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Four Hours! Only four Hours!!! You should try spending 24 hours in it when snowbound including sleeping on floors. One hour of free wifi; use it wisely. Kindle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, you know, if it's all so crap, don't bother passing through thanks.

MrSteve, Sunday? Or not?

Either way just get a train into town. If not Sunday, Plenty of things to do. Cafe de Paris just down from station does a nice lunch if you like steak although on margin I prefer l'Entrecote. Lakeside the Casanova is reliable and very friendly. Good tapas at Meditsol. Bear in mind that many kitchens take last orders at 13h30-14h00.

If Sunday you are a little more restricted. Most museums open, Natural History good esp. with kids. Chinese restaurant "Chez Kei" opposite Nat Hist allegedly very good but we haven't tried. Old Town has a few places, Demi-Lune does reasonable burgery stuff but is quite youthful. Maison Tardivel interesting as a slice of medieval Geneve...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It will be a Saturday, so that will help. A bit.
latest report
So, MrSteve,

Kids? No kids?

18h30 flight means check in at 16h30 so you get to GVA around 12h30?

I am seriously struggling to understand your problem.

Train to Cornavin gets you into town around 13h00ish.

For example, Nice lunch, taste some wines you won't have seen in the UK, train back to airport... Job done.
snow conditions
MrSteve, 2 previous threads that might be useful with a range of suggestions and some useful advice for getting around the city:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1578829
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2054033
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
So, MrSteve,

Kids? No kids?

For example, Nice lunch, taste some wines you won't have seen in the UK, train back to airport... Job done.

So what does he do with the luggage during this time, whatever he does he's stuck with the luggage unless he wants to leave it at left luggage, which I guess will be relatively expensive in the scheme of things.
ski holidays
http://www.mamco.ch/ Museum of Modern Art (MAMCO) ? Between the station and the lake (I think)
snow conditions
Kel, nope, not expensive at all. I think it's now up on platform 4 though as the station is being extensively rebuilt.
ski holidays
I think it's 10Chf per piece if you leave it at the manned left luggage. The lockers are cheaper but you can't fit skis in.

Don't forget to pick up a free train ticket in luggage reclaim.
latest report
Claude B, so, if you skis, give them to the nice man at the counter. If you don't, I think the largest locker (which is pretty big) is either 8.- or 5.-. You can probably get more than one person's luggage in the largest one.

Ah, now, I am thinking lockers on platform 4 are at Cornavin. I have no idea where they are at the airport.
latest report
under a new name, +1 re eating at L'Entrecote (relais de l'entrecote - www.relaisentrecote.fr ofr the OP). The only problem is I am pretty sure that is one where you cannot book a table so on balance I think the Cafe de Paris might be better (also closer to train station).
snow conditions
cern is worth a visit if you can get there and its open for visits, the skatepark at plan palais is awesome if you skate, the shopping is good (if expensive) and the lake is always fun! Smile
snow report
There's a park beside the lake, nice walk. I saw a chipmunk in it.

By 'it's shut on Sunday' people just mean you can't buy pointless tat (or in the case of Geneva, expensive watches) a Sunday. This is the case pretty much everywhere outside the UK, as far as I can see. There are, however, much more interesting things to do - museums, parks, walks, cafés, cake etc etc. I seem to remember rumdiary telling me Trier was a boring shíthole on a Sunday - actually it was very pleasant, since all the interesting stuff was there as usual and it wasn't as crowded as it is the rest of the time.
snow conditions
chrisJersey, yep. You are quite right. Turning up at the Entrecote at 12h00 you'll probably get a table. Otherwise, better off at the Cafe, even if their sauce is not, IMo, quite as good. Brasserie Lipp abd Cafe du Centre are also open on Sunday but priced for the Genevoise.

MrSteve, if you were feeling flush enough to add two 40.- taxi trips in, a very nice lunch can be had at the Cafe des Amis in the rather sweet village of Choulex. It's a little out of town though...

There's also according to my OH an awesome chicken restaurant in Croix des Genthoud.
snow conditions
The lockers are opposite the manned left luggage about half way along the main station concourse.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
So, MrSteve,

Kids? No kids?

Spot on with times there under a new name!

No kids- though other half can grizzle like one sometimes.

Lots of good info and ideas too everyone!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MrSteve, Leonard Cohen on the iPod, a bottle of 'Patron' and a Swiss Army knife . . . EVERYTHING about Geneva says you're a tourist with a flacid bank balance . . . Bern, on the other hand is delightful.

. . . OH! you have kids in tow . . . Dilute the 'Patron' with 'Calpol' . . . bit sweet but makes it palatable for juvenile taste buds.

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Masque, you've been drinking...
snow report
I've had 3 long wait overs in Geneva.

First there were 4 of us pre-PSB. Wander around the old town, bit of window shopping and ended with a nice pizza with a beer and wine opposite the station.

2nd was with a grizzly teenager on a wet Sunday in October. Ended up spending far too much time in McD's to keep her quiet.

Last years was the best, pre-PSB. A couple of locals took 4 of us around the old town (there was a ramparts race on) and for lunch in a yurt.

On each of those occasions it was more like 8 hours to kill.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Masque, you've been drinking...

I wish! Not on my meds Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Just renew the wifi after the hour. It does not seem to remember you. It's a nice city to spend an hour or so in by the lake rather than the airport. But you don't tend to do it more than a couple of times as the other posters will attest. Get ticket in baggage hall and leave luggage in train station (left and to the end in arrivals). Enjoy. Don't bother if raining.
snow report
Palexpo is walking distance from the airport, check out what they have on.
snow conditions
Try organising snow tyres from a hire car company on the French side. That will kill 4 hours no probs.
snow report
So....

Nice walks by the lake and old town, cathedral, etc
Museum of Art and History (free entry)
Red Cross Museum
Boat trip on the Lake
Pleasant shopping streets
British Pubs for live sport
United Nations
Patek Phillipe Watch museum
Natural History Museum (free entry)
Several cinemas showing English language versions of films
Loads of nice restaurants
Train ride along the lake to Lausanne/Montreux/Lavaux vineyards
Cern visit
Catch a Servette Ice Hockey or Football match

....yes, absolutely nothing to do wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 9-10-13 16:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
MrSteve wrote:
Oh dear!

So my idea of standing by the lake, whilst whistling the theme tune to 'The Champions' possibly isn't that bad then...!

That's what we do Laughing
snow report
Geneva is not boring by any means, but if your flight back is on Sunday you will find it very quiet. You can still visit one of the museums or watch football/rugby live in one of the pubs. Mr. Pickwicks is two tram stops from the Cornavin or you can just walk there. Or have lunch in one if the restaurants, or a fondue. As much as I love French food Swiss fondue is better. Everything is very close, and it's only about 5 min on a train from the airport.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy