Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughter doing season - what should she take?

Poster: A snowHead
Suggestions welcome for the most useful stuff (other than ski kit and a full piggy bank) you took with you when doing a ski season (or wished you had done after the event). Am sure there must be some pearls of wisdom out there..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Much less clothing than you think you'll need.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many common UK items are not available... elsewhere e.g.

Savlon
Lemsip
etc.

If she's going to France or Switzerland prepare her that the French still find suppositories a hilarious mechanism for drug application and that the first thing the Swiss will offer for any ailment is diluted water.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In fact, I have seen homeopathic suppositories for sale which must surely be purely for the amusement (and pecuniary satisfaction) of the pharmacist and his staff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
contraceptives?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
contraceptives?

And the phrase "Beware Beware of Fast Pierre! Don't let him into your underware!"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Legal drugs. 6 month's worth. Paracetamol, Ibuprofen pills & gel, Ranitidine (zantac), Cold & Flu, Loperamide (Imodium), rehydration salts etc. Dirt cheap in supermarkets over here, small fortune and only from pharmacies in France (if that's where she's going - you don't say).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there was a thread about this last (I think) year; lots of useful stuff about medication and multi-way plugs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

only from pharmacies

same in germany (and holland), and I presume also austria, switzerland etc. too.

Anything more pharmaceutical than toothpaste only available from a pharmacist.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there was a thread about this last (I think) year; lots of useful stuff about medication and multi-way plugs
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate, I was thinking the same! A hot water bottle can be nice as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Golden rule: if it doesn't fit into a 90 litre kitbag, you don't need it. (Apply to everything except skis/board/boots.)

Into this big squishy bag she should put:
- a laptop
- a hard drive loaded with movies/TV/etc
- some kind of reading device (smartphone/Kindle/whatever)
- a UK multiadapter (attach continental plug on arrival)
- flipflops (think shared bathrooms and insantiary boys)
- mobile phone plus local SIM (order online before departure - the tend to run out of these in resort)
- Caxton fx or other preloadable cash card
- about a third as many clothes as she thinks she needs

The following items should NOT go in the bag:
- stilettos
- UGG boots
- 'going out' clothes

Big fat kitbags available in many colours courtesy of Helly Hansen at half the price of TNF and just as good quality from what I see of mine. Get 'em here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Helly-Hansen-Duffel-Bag-Orange/dp/B00322Q7WS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380290366&sr=8-1&keywords=helly+hansen+bags&tag=amz07b-21 Way better than a suitcase.

Personally I would ignore all that about ibuprofen etc (how much of the stuff is she likely to get through FFS?) - it's not particularly expensive if you buy the generics rather than Advil etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dia_FindTransfers, hot water bottle is completely pointless - staff accomm is usually a veritable sauna. I used to spend whole seasons with the window open.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, well I guess it depends on the staff accommodation... I had to buy an electric fan heater and had ice on the inside of my windows...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raceplate wrote:
Legal drugs. 6 month's worth. Paracetamol, Ibuprofen pills & gel, Ranitidine (zantac), Cold & Flu, Loperamide (Imodium), rehydration salts etc. Dirt cheap in supermarkets over here, small fortune and only from pharmacies in France (if that's where she's going - you don't say).

yeah we always do a trip through supermarkets when were in the uk stocking up on drugs. they can be insainly expensive in france and switzerland!
latest report
A few goodies for Xmas, tea bags, adapter plugs, travel iron, skype
snow report
Decent kitchen knife + steel (if that's your thing) if working anywhere near a kitchen or expecting to cook.

Make sure your mobile will accept a foreign SIM.

Down jacket if warm non-ski coat not issued as company uniform.
ski holidays
A cheap old ski jacket to wear to the pub so that thieving scrotes don't nick your good one.

Earplugs and Eyemask if sharing accomodation.

Fancy dress, as much as possible, and as multi purpose as possible

EHIC card

Marmite - if she hates it it's still possible to swap it on surprisingly good terms when addicts run out

Multiple hats (where do they go?)

A very good alarm clock.

Instead of multiple UK/Euro addapters, just take 1 and a 4 way extension lead. This has the benefit that most french plugs seem to be tucked away behind furniture etc, and you can lay the extension plug out where you can get to it.

A sense of humour
latest report
Quote:

Marmite - if she hates it it's still possible to swap it on surprisingly good terms when addicts run out

Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

The following items should NOT go in the bag:
- stilettos
- UGG boots
- 'going out' clothes

Laughing sounds about right. Same could be said for a week's ski holiday, come to that.
ski holidays
flaming, Spot on......a onesie and slipper booties too (as horrid looking as they are). Cheap ski socks, as everyone seemed to use everyone else's and I was blowed if they were going to b****r up any decent ones I sent over to my daughter.
ski holidays
chrisJersey, Oh, and on the assumption that said daughter is a young'n on her first season the best early Christmas prezzie you could get her would be a transceiver shovel and probe and offer to pay for a course.

Pretty much regardless of her skiing ability now, she will be venturing off piste by the end of the season, and having the gear is not only a damn good idea in the first place, but also means that the people who know what they're doing are more likely to let you tag along.
And most seasonaires simply can't afford to buy gear on their wages, so if they don't have it at the start of the season they won't be able to buy it when they actually need it.
snow report
thanks all - very helpful.

presumably fathers of any age/skiing ability showing up is a No No. i will just have to live vicariously through the single phone call home (to her mother) she will probably make!
snow conditions
Nah show up in a mid Jan quiet week - she might have got the mid season blues by then and in any event should always appreciate free decent food and the opportunity to have extra stuff bought/brought out to her.
ski holidays
as per your earlier comment, you mean extra contraceptives?! Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Nah show up in a mid Jan quiet week - she might have got the mid season blues by then and in any event should always appreciate free decent food and the opportunity to have extra stuff bought/brought out to her.

Yeah I think I would appreciate a visit especially if there were things like nice lunches included!
ski holidays
chrisJersey, parental visits were very popular last season. Mainly in the buying of things and taking out for dinner area, but one chap used the opportunity of his parents staying in a chalet in town to get friendly with the chalet staff. Made the Echo for his exploits that week.

Well, most weeks to be honest.
snow report
Quote:

Pretty much regardless of her skiing ability now, she will be venturing off piste by the end of the season

This isn't actually anywhere near true. Most of them don't want to/don't bother/don't progress anywhere near enough.

Visits from the 'rents are usually welcome - staff food can be pants. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This isn't actually anywhere near true. Most of them don't want to/don't bother/don't progress anywhere near enough.

Really? My view of seasons is def rose coloured then. I kinda assume you'll be skiing most days and getting quite 'rad'.
snow report
kat.ryb, maybe you did. But the assumption taht they will all necessarily be doing serious off piste (or indeed any off piste) by the end of a season is just plain wrong.
snow report
kat.ryb, In my day you could determine how many weeks into the season you were by how many chalet girls could fit on a 3 person chair. One week in 4-5, end of season lucky if two would make it without a squeeze.

Most saisonnaires these days are there to party, not ski. Which all seems like a terrible waste to me. And a bit lightweight. We partied and skied.
ski holidays
Anything like a laptop with a voltage transformer with a kettle lead or figure8 lead, you can replace the mains lead with a 2 pin>kettle or 2 pin>figure8. I found it easier than a bulky adaptor with my laptop abroad.

Ask around - a lot of our kit at work comes with Euro options and they just get chucked in a corner to catch dust.
snow conditions
The Pill
latest report
ed123, contraceptive implant. Can't forget to take it!
snow report
even a macbook charger with the interchangeable cable/plug bit is standard figure-8. spoils the visual appearance with a black 3rd party lead, but it works Wink
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
kat.ryb, maybe you did. But the assumption taht they will all necessarily be doing serious off piste (or indeed any off piste) by the end of a season is just plain wrong.

I did, throw in the broken foot and nearly killing myself in the park, not bad considering I'd never skied before.

Nick
snow conditions
Spare (cheap) ski gloves, TK Maxx and Decathlon are good for these. I must have lost around 2 pairs of gloves a season by getting leathered up the mountain in the Arpette / Folie Douce / Ronnie, or in resort bars. In the local shopst you'l pay at least 50 or 60 euros for a replacement pair. So if you know you'll end up in a bar, wear the cheap gloves.

Fancy dress is always a good option. As is some summer wear for when Springtime hits, it can get absolutely roasting at the end of the season and shorts/flip flops etc are a bit of a must at resort level.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 27-09-13 19:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Really? My view of seasons is def rose coloured then. I kinda assume you'll be skiing most days and getting quite 'rad'.

Pretty much everyone I've done seasons with were predominantly there for the skiing; and made the most of the job to get a minimum of 3 or 4 days per week on the mountain. Plenty of times I can remember being on the hill 5 or 6 days a week. In fact I can't think of anyone I did seasons with who didn't end up doing a decent amount of off-piste, even if only the off-piste at the sides of the slopes.
snow report
Loads of socks.

Cheap fleeces and base layers.

Multi plug thingy, and adaptor.

English tea bags - the only equivalent here is Twining's, which is always expensive.

Paracetamol/cocodamol - much cheaper in the Uk than here in Austria anyway, and she WILL end up working hungover. Vitamins aren't a bad idea either.

On the same note, alarm clock.

Laptop + hard drive with loads of films/tv programmes. Plus headphones to watch if others want to sleep. Download skype/facetime to speak with people at home.

Kindle (you won't have space for enough books).

A BIG fluffy towel (unless she's hosting, in which case she can pinch a company one).

Shoes to go out in that can handle snow/ice - skate shoes work well.

Shorts/flipflops for late season chilling.

Cheapo camera.

Should be able to get anything else in resort for similar prices to the UK.
ski holidays
Also depends on job and country to an extent. I managed to go a whole season without purchasing toiletries when working in chalets, guests used to leave all sorts of shampoo/conditioner/deodorant/toothpaste behind, so long as you're not fussed as to the brand.

Likewise taking plenty of socks is not always needed. For example where I've been in Austria, Innsbruck (now has a Primark) and Landeck have been within striking distance on a day off (and we did a couple of times each season) for cheap socks.

Multiway extension cable and one adapter plug is invaluable, even if you have two-pin plugs for a lot of electrical bits as the number of plug sockets in staff accom can be limited.

External hard drive and laptop with films is a very good shout for white out/duvet days, preferably one with plenty of space available for the inevitable swaps with others.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy