Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone suggest a freestyle course for nervous people?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I am 58 years and a competent skier. I watch others ski in the snowparks and think I would like to do that stuff. I realise that most of it is down to courage and the best way to learn is to pick the biggest jump and go for it, after all the take off and being in the air is easy, only have to worry about the landing. However, my mind doesn't work like that and will not allow it to happen. So I am looking to do a freestyle snowpark course for nervous people somewhere in Europe maybe for a week preferably where they will not try and kill me but make it an enjoyable experience. Can anyone suggest or recommend somewhere please?

PS I know that all the indoor centres in the UK offer such things and I might give that a go but I already know about them, it is on the continent that I need some help with.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
idkwia wrote:
the best way to learn is to pick the biggest jump and go for it

LOL. Start small and work your way up or you might end up like poor Joe here.

http://youtube.com/v/9nOPFn5JceY
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Classic Laughing " I believe I can flyyyyy"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is my all-time favourite:

http://youtube.com/v/n8SAjN34KS4
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
idkwia wrote:
Hi All
I am 58 years and a competent skier. I watch others ski in the snowparks and think I would like to do that stuff.

Are you on Drugs? If not I'd buy some now Toofy Grin
But seriously. I'm 48 & love trying freestyle. It's just the healing process takes so long. Sad
Invest in some body armour & Arnica cream. I'm not sure that you can hothouse this type of skiing. Those guys spend time in the parks but also on trampolines and foam pits. It's gonna take time & pain, lots of pain unless you're already a gymnast.
I know that every time I pop a 180 I am risking my skiing career exponentially more than when piste skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try Gavin Lermouth, http://www.definitioncamps.com/ they do both UK and Alps courses and have a ski module definitely in the domes not sure about the alps, I think Warren Smith does it too
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Freestyle Coaching only £420 for full day" Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
idkwia, Where are you based? I'm sure a local dome could help out. Most run Rookie camps aimed at the beginner !

They do at hemel !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Gav at Definition. I've done the 2 day snowboarding freestyle session as a novice with him and he and his team know their stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah dont be put off thinking you cant do it in a dome, get as much practice in the domes as you can, thats what they are there for! Maverix use a dude called simon at hemel and he's pretty good, shouldnt cost more than £100 for a days coaching, kickers in the morning, boxes/rails in the afternoon.

practice practice practice, getting better at freestyle will open up so many new ways to get around the moutain, you'll never ski the same again!

oh yes....the way to learn is not to pick the biggest kicker and summon the courage to go off it haha
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done a day with Maverix before. Thought it was excellent. I lost the ability to walk for a week afterwards though.

Not sure if they still do ski days though as their site no longer mentions any upcoming ski sessions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
idkwia wrote:
Hi All

I am 58 years and a competent skier. I watch others ski in the snowparks and think I would like to do that stuff. I realise that most of it is down to courage and the best way to learn is to pick the biggest jump and go for it, after all the take off and being in the air is easy, only have to worry about the landing. However, my mind doesn't work like that and will not allow it to happen. So I am looking to do a freestyle snowpark course for nervous people somewhere in Europe maybe for a week preferably where they will not try and kill me but make it an enjoyable experience. Can anyone suggest or recommend somewhere please?

Actually, there is a hell of a lot more technique involved than that - as well as the fear factor! I found this out on the British Freeski camp in Saas Fee, July 2012. And the lessons learned have been invaluable, not just for the park, but for the natural air/half-pipes etc that you encounter when skiing off-piste.

Completely worth doing, the British team and coaches (who coach you - and "Uncle Pat" was amazing!!) are great people, fantastic atmosphere, and a summer holiday in a quiet Alpine village as part of the deal (skiing stops at 1pm, as it gets a bit too warm). Oldest there were in their 50's (usually parents of kids they had brought along), youngest less than 10. Groups for all levels, and very inclusive, fun, and not snotty at all (which is more than can be said for the attitude of some of the race teams we met, also training up there...). Lady Flashman and I treated ourselves to a luxury hotel for a spa break too (there's a very good one in Saas Fee), and joined everyone else for drinks in the Popcorn Hotel most evenings.

Still can't land a 360 though, and still often crash spectacularly when landing a 180, and I still stay off the very big kickers due to fear. - the young 'uns got it in a week. We oldies just didn't (35 at the time)

Half pipe, however, I loved - both Lady F and I were well out of the top of it, pulling grabs and turning reverse way ("allez-oops") by day 4. Also got my backwards parallel skiing much inmproved- they teach you that as part of learning to land switch. Also, jumps generally much improved - the video training sessions really sorted out my pop technique and properly stable landings. Now spend most of my time popping off anything I can and showing off Smile

They also teach you to use words like "switch" and not sound too stupid/pretentious. One of my favourite ski trips, learned loads too. If I had the time to spare, I would go again, no question. Warren Smith ski Academy were there too - dream would be 1 week with them, followed by the freeski camp.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harry Flashman - thank you so much for an excellent review. As coincidence would have it I had discovered the British Freeski Camp today and I will be booking for next summer. One of the main reasons want to do a course like this is because I think it will improve my off-piste skiing so I am pleased you think that has happened to you.

With regards to the rest of you thanks for your comments. As I said in my question I was aware of the domes, in fact I had already booked a rookie course at Hemel before I posted my question. So I am just looking for courses on real snow and I have only found a couple so if anyone here knows of more. Of course I also realise that I could use local ski schools and have just enquired to the ESF about their course in Tignes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very nice folk too - Andy Bennett, my instructor (and who for a while held the Guiness Book of Records world record for top speed while skiing backwards, and I believe still holds a world record for top speed backwards through slalom gates Shocked ) refused an instructors' tip at the end of the week, simply stating "that's not what we're here for, and it's been a pleasure". Needless to say, we bought him many, many beers as a thank you for a great week. Super guy, outstanding skier, and a great teacher to boot.

http://www.britishfreeskicamps.com/british-freeski-camps/courses/coach-profiles/andy-bennett.htm

Have a great time - we did. The trampoline training sessions are fun, as is the fitness stuff if you want to get into it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Harry Flashman, that does sound fun. I used to do some trampolining. At 25 I'd have given it a go, but........ sometimes you have to admit defeat. Sad These days I can't even do a forward roll with the grandchildren without getting dizzy.
ski holidays
pam - Smile

Craziest person in my class was Roy, aged 56...
snow report
I'm mid 40's and only just getting into halfpipes. You learn a lot slower just giving it a go yourself though.

Like you say, lack of confidence in the air is a major hold back factor.
latest report
Thanks for the description of the British Free Ski Camps Harry Flashman. I'm definitely considering it for next summer now Very Happy

Planning next summer's skiing before the winter season has even started. Is there something wrong with me?
snow report
Quote:

Craziest person in my class was Roy, aged 56...

a mere child.....
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, great review. Think I'm going to look into that for next year.
snow report
All sounds great fun, but at 65 with only part of one ACL my knees wouldn't stand a miss-timed 360º or perhaps even a timed one. Still do off-piste jumps on the mountain sometimes, though (or a few times at Hemel on a Thursday afternoon: that's when they start to let you on the first jumps, though Friday is the pure freestyle day with all the grinders and jumps set out).
I remember they once built a high half-pipe backed with ply boards on a massive wood-frame down half of the Milton Keynes slope, many years ago. Great fun, I was getting right to the top of that quite quickly without instruction (but without tricks of course). I don't know how they justified the expense.

pam w, yes, my favourite too.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
+1 for Gav at Definition. I've done the 2 day snowboarding freestyle session as a novice with him and he and his team know their stuff.

Another happy Definition customer here. Boarding that is, can't vouch for the skiing, but presumably it's also excellent.
ski holidays
Brilliant thread! I'm a 36 yo 'motheroftwo', and have been hankering to have a go at a few 'tricks' but always thought I was too old. You lot have totally inspired me! Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Fenfilly - I'm 36 and only now getting into the world of tricks! We don't learn as fast as kids do (as I found out on the camp), but we can still learn something worthwhile. Give it a go - but do be mindful of injury. Children bounce - us, not so much. Warm up/warm down exercises are key before putting such strain on knees/calves/hamstrings etc - just getting into the park and hoping for the best is sort of asking for it...Smile
snow report
LOL! No, I'm not (quite) that daft! wink

One of my goals this season is to learn to ski switch, as well as improving my general skiing. Once I've got that dialed, I shall consider taking it a little further..... Toofy Grin
latest report
get away with ya...skiiers...switch.....ITS BACKWARDS! Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy