Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am weighing up New Year skiing options and have a question for people with more knowledge than me. My better half's sister's family (...) are going to Kitzbuhel over New Year and we are wondering whether to join them or do our own thing.

The main concerns we have in relation to Kitzbuhel are over snow depth at that time of year and the extensiveness of quality terrain.

We're both pretty decent skiers (me mainly off piste, her reds and blacks), and usually tend towards the larger resorts having enjoyed places such as St Anton, Tignes, La Tania and Verbier most recently. St Anton in particular was great but we're both happy to try somewhere new.

The question is how well linked up is Kitzbuhel, how does the terrain compare and will it keep us occupied for a week. We generally cover plenty of ground and Mrs Frogman is very keen to keep her eye in on the hard runs. I know there are some bus links to other areas and we would probably use these if it was worthwhile.

I have read the other reports on here and the web at large and am wavering but would be grateful for any qualitative views...

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frogman, I dont have many resorts to compare against, but I liked the area in Kitz quite a lot (4yrs ago i think), although I was a fairly novice boarder on our visit. We visited Kirchberg the following year which shares the same mountain from the opposite direction and again found plenty to keep occupied. We found the snow conditions fairly icy in Jan/Feb but that could have been due to all manner of things obviously. Although despite a good dump on day 1 the conditions were icy. May be due to height also.??

The 3S link opens up a good tour to Pass Thurn I think, and I believe there is a new lift Kirch side into a larger region (ski welt??) One of our party was a good skier and she loved it. On piste eating and drinking is great, far superior to Whistler/BlackC. Kitz according to a piece I just read that someone posted in the 'off-piste' forum says its an undiscovered joy for OP riding, so that would be worth the read too.

At the end of the day, its a ski holiday, so you will make the most of it and have a great time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im going on the 4th Jan...... so itl probably rain Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
medlington wrote:
Im going on the 4th Jan...... so itl probably rain Sad

Maybe you should take frogman along in that case....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you should be OK as long as there is fresh snow to keep you entertained off piste. In terms of travel it is a massive area if you get the allstar pass (check...) - it covers Westendorf and skiwelt as well. Kitz link to Westendorf and then on to Skiwelt is via short bus ride from Skirast to the KiWest gondola or jump on the hourly bus to Brixen from Kirchberg and (I think) Kitzbuhel. The sense of travel is amazing (even within the Kitz sector itself it is a long way from the Maierbahn across to Pass Thurn) as it is a huge area - snow making is superb. Last year (unusual??)) it was brilliant week before Xmas.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow won't be a problem, and it's definitely a big enough area to keep you interested for a week (or more). Personally I don't think the offpiste terrain is as good as St Anton, though there is still plenty of it to explore. Maybe a guide could find you better options though, that I didn't find. Piste skiing is at least as good, maybe a bit better than Anton, so Mrs frogman will be happy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the help! Reckon Kitz it is!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look at Kirchberg too. The ability to use the pengelstein within a 10 minute bus ride is great, as its really quite, piste 31 is a great way to finish the day, and you can get up to the 3S with no queues for some extra exploring (in addition to the 2 other lifts in Kirch itself). Plus you have night skiing on Gaisberg and the Ki-West access that side too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied Kitzbuhel last New Year (this New Year). The snow was good and the slopes not particularly busy. I can't really comment on off-piste conditions because I stick to pistes (not good enough for off-pistes) but there is plenty to do in the Kitz area. I recommend the All-Star pass rather than the Kitzbuhler Alpen pass. It is a little more expensive but not much and, with it, opens up SkiwWelt, Westondorf, Zeell-Am-See, Saalbach and a couple others that I haven't skied. This New Years Day, we skied out of Kitz, through Westondorf and over to Ellmau and back. We did have coffee/lunch stops and not the fastest of skiers but was a really good day with differing terrain. People do criticise Kitzbuhel for not being challenging enough but is ok for my ability. Also, to ski down the red run next to the Hahnenkamm is a real eye-opener to what the WC racers have to deal with. I A going again over this New Year and can't wait....really, can't wait...nearly there....soon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy