Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to the three valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Been to the 3V many times but always used tour op transfer. We are looking at going more independently this time and cant believe the coat of transfers...more than the flight ! There are 4 of us and tfr is around £500 !!!!! Any ideas on a better way. Car hire is not as cheap as it used to be...also why is it £100 more for cwr hire from swiss side of geneva airport than the french side...whats the catch.
Is it better to train to moutiers then altibus to resort. Maybe fly to lyon then train to chambery then transfer. Any ideas / experience welcomed please
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re car hire in Geneva , swiss side is more expensive because Swiss franc is much stronger than the £ and Swiss cars have snow tyres, French side don't .

Car hire is cheaper in Lyon .

Hiring a car from Lyon should be cheaper than a return Altibus from Geneva l it will also give you more freedom .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have a PM Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo, the flight is carrying 130-300 people, fills up with gas and other saleable goods (beer, food etc) turns around and goes back with 130-300 people on it. The transfer company pays a driver to drive for up to 3 hours, wait for an hour, help with the bags, drive another 3 hours, carry 4-6 people and have a backup (assuming its a good transfer company) on standby, thats why they cost a bit more in relative terms, plus you arent paying insurance or getting ripped off with parking, fuel, chain costs.

we have always used 3vt (3 vallees transfer) on our trips, sure not cheap, but reliable as the tide coming in, quality and service to boot. They get us from Chambery to Courchevel 1850 (the altiport to right at the top) in about 1hr 40 so we can do our front door to first ski in about 8 hours.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
backhojo, yes, transfers often cost more than the flight. They take longer, too. wink

If you are competent with snow chains no reason why you can't hire a car from the French side and save some dosh. Though be aware you will either need to drive through Geneva or pay the Swiss motorway vignette (40 swiss francs last time I bought one, but I think that might be changing). For four of you it will probably be cheaper, though unless you pay for covered parking in resort you might have to dig the car out of a big snowdrift!

Altibus isn't that cheap either, actually and the trains add hassle. With four people, personally, I'd hire a car, Swiss side, in the hope of avoiding the use of chains and being able to get straight out to the border on the Swiss motorway. Though unless you travel light you'll need to upgrade from the smallest car.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
backhojo, If a transfer is cheaper than average check that they are insured and have the licences to operate across France and Switzerland, there were some genuine horror stories of Brit operated minibuses being stopped and passengers just dumped because of the French Police checks last season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure why you consider the train to Chambery then transfer, the train to Moutiers will be more convenient - then get the bus upto the resort. But again it isn't cheap IIRC about 70 euros per person return from Geneva, a lot less and quicker from Lyon (the town not the airport station).

I haven't hired from the swiss side of Geneva airport for years. If you know the way around the French side is a bit easier anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about a combination of Altibus to Moutiers then a taxi up to whichever resort you are in.
Or- as long as you can stomach it- drive from the UK- though I appreciate you're another 2 hours from this side of the tunnel than I am.
Car hire in Geneva- we always go from the Swiss side as it's easier to find your way in and out. I would guess that even if it stays parked in resort for the week it will cost less than £500!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you looked into a shared transfer? Check out http://www.findtransfers.com - you can post your required dates and transfers and then it matches up with other people looking for similar transfers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ditch the flight and just drive from UK
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, +1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi backhojo,

Travelling independently from Geneva to the 3 valleys the train is a real faff - as a minimum you'll change once in Geneva station and once in Chambery but many have a third change too.

Your best option is you don't want to pay for a private transfer is either a shared transfer (eg Find Transfers above) or a public bus transfer (www.altibus.com or www.bensbus.co.uk) or a hire car.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
backhojo, Have a look at a car rental comparison site such as carrentals.co.uk to find the best price for car hire. Depending on your dates, you can rent an estate car for £256 from the Swiss side of Geneva for a week. That price was from 18th to 25th January with ebookers.com, it should be equipped with winter tyres and will have the Swiss vignette required for travelling the short distance on the Swiss motorway.
If you want to pay for the CDW excess insurance it is usually cheaper to search the internet for a separate policy.

Another option is plane to Chambery, flights from East Midlands with Jet2.com. Then Altibus to resort from the airport (with a possible change at Moutiers) for 50 euros return.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bens bus - surely the best in terms of price and convenience? Not sure I'd want to faff about driving up to 3V in potentially bad conditions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I personally consider the car a plus, and would go that route myself, especially if self catering.

It is an easy drive and any traffic hold ups would be the same in a van.

You also do away with the stress of waiting for some teenager with a hangover being an hour late picking you up.
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k, not all companies use teenagers..............www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk/Team.php
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, thanks for that. I am sure they don't, my point was you are in control in your own vehicle.

The last transfer I did to Tignes was not a teenager, but still drove like one, made me want to be as pissed as everyone else on the mini bus.
latest report
And although they all look very nice and mature we are back to 700 euro for 4 people.
snow report
redrunmarcus, I hadn't noticed that page. Are you actually retiring?
snow report
IIRC we paid 3vt about 460 for door to door service, just checked and a return from CMF for 4 is about 520 euros and 550 from GVA and 670 from Lyon. Whilst certainly not cheap, when you add up car hire, parking, CDW, fuel, tolls, usual hire company stiffing you for something extra plus the faffing with picking the car up, returning it etc. it's the choice we go for if you are going to stay in one place.
ski holidays
backhojo, you can add your journey details on our Shared transfers page. Local companies can get back to you with an offer if anything comes up. Expect it to be a bit last minute though. http://www.findtransfers.com
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Yes finnish at the end of October.......so if you need a KP .......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy