Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - improving my skiing over a season.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All, I am lucky enough to be in the PDS for 3 months this year. I would really like to take the opportunity to significantly improve my skiing, and am wondering what my options are (and the likely cost/commitment required).

I would describe myself honestly as an advanced intermediate skier, not advanced (I still get into trouble on the nastiest black runs, need to get better at moguls and off-piste - so lots of improvement required).

So question - what is the best way of improving? A lesson a week and lots of practice? Or a course likle the BASI? Basically, I am looking for advice from those who have been where I am and had a bit of time to dedicate to improving more than just their Jagermeister downing ability!

Not a millionaire, so three months of private lessons every day won't really cut it...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well a BASI level 1 course would give you a platform and could introduce you to a local trainer (Becci Malthouse et al are AIUI Morzine locals) who you could take periodic lessons with to refine and develop. there are worse ideas even if you've no intention of ever teaching.

Or you could skip BASI and sign up straight for an early season course with BASS.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Harry! With three months to play with I'd say do as much structured training as you can afford, but it's you're free-skiing time that presents the most opportunities. You need to ruthlessly seek-out and befriend other keen ski-bums (there are still a few more into the skiing than the partying!) and get your gang into the habit of getting out and pushing each other at every chance snowHead. Some technical advice is a great help, but mileage and an adventurous attitude is the real key! You don't say where in the PDS, but if you let me know I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Have a great season in the world's greatest ski-area! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shep, +1

PS I don't know if Shep thought he learned how to ski well in the PDS over a few seasons, but I certainly think I began to...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And there I was thinking it was Glenshee that made you the skier you are today.... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shep, hmmm, Hillend maybe.

Actually, I did tell you that I had a guest in my first season who correctly identified my original influences as the Scottish-Norwegian ski school in Aviemore?

Given that I was then 24 and my lessons had been at 5 and 6 I'm not quite sure what that said about development in between!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guys - thank you!

Shep: I will be in Morzine (or just outside), but have car and so will be mobile. If you are in resort this season would love to buy you a beer and discuss the area, which I have been to 4 times for long weekends, so don't yet know especially well!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy