Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes in early Jan - what are the risks of white-out, widespread lift closures etc?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - friends of mine are planning a trip to Tignes in early Jan.
I've only been there once before (early Feb) but the whole mountain was shut for 4/6 days due to avalanche risk.
I think it's just about the highest resort in the Alps and has relatively few tree-lined runs so I just wondered how likely a holiday in early Jan is to be marred by avalanche conditions and poor visibility.
I would've thought Tignes comes into its own from late Feb onwards when lower resorts start to struggle, but maybe i was just unlucky when I went and you can usually expect a full week's skiing in Jan/early Feb?
Thoughts appreciated!
Thanks.
NN
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you're better off sticking somewhere very low lying with lots of trees. Stay away from Tignes in January
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's luck of the draw, Neil Neige, there could be dangerously heavy snow in other months too. If you hit one of those "snow poor" Januarys you'd be glad you were in Tignes. It can certainly be very bleak in bad weather though - wouldn't be my choice in January. If looking at a low-season trip I don't think I'd be booking now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Tignes mid-Jan last season and had a super trip. Lots of nice dry powder snow that stayed in fantastic condition for the whole week, and a harsh frozen beauty to the high mountains that you don't get in the spring.

Yes it was cold (minus 25 on some days), so you had to wrap up, and it was too cold IMO to venture to the top of the Glacier (lifts up there were shut a bit of the time anyway). But despite a lot of fresh snowfall during the week, there were very few lift closures (and very temporary at that). I remember a couple of half days of poor visibility - but of having fun practicing skiing by feel. The skiing down to La Daille and Le Fornet (through the trees...) was lovely, with the snow in great condition. It was also quiet, so the slopes were never crowded.

The snow/weather was actually more disruptive when I went back the week beginning 16th March. There were some big dumps, which resulted in quite a few lift closures for half a day or so at a time, with some extensive avi-blasting going on. I recall a couple of days where the vis was bad all day. The lower runs were not so nice either - icy or heavy sticky snow. It was also a lot busier, so on the days when there were some lift closures, the slopes that were open and in good nick were really quite crowded. Some cracking powder snow on the morning after the dumps, but all got tracked out very quickly.

On balance, it was a better week in January; though both trips were excellent and skied all day every day.

I reckon there's always the risk of a disruptive big dump of snow - and pros and cons to being there any time during the season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just for a different view. Been 3 times to Tignes last 2 weeks in january and the snow has been great. The last time was 2 seasons ago and other than it being bloody cold it was blue bird sky for the whole stay. The down side was no fresh snow at all but we skied every run in the espace Killy. They look after the runs really well and the only one that was getting a bit solid was the one from the top of toviere down to val claret..
Tim
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Tignes 4 or five times in early Jan. Never had a total shutdown, but once or twice the link lifts from Val D have closed during a storm. Might just be lucky though......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to Tignes 1st week after new year last two years and had great snow and sunshine (apart from last day this year) both times!

Guess it's just luck though!

Was nice an quiet too Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The one dependable in early Jan will be lots of Russians. That will go for most major resorts in Alps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool - thanks for these replies. Sounds like my experience of only being able to ski 2 days out of 6 was pretty unusual.
I think Sainte Foy is just down the road so guess that would be an option in bad weather (being lower down and with lots of trees)...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I think Sainte Foy is just down the road so guess that would be an option in bad weather (being lower down and with lots of trees)...

Yes, Sainte Foy is an alternative if you have transport. Also not far from Sainte Foy is Villaroger, giving access to Les Arcs. More tree lined runs there too, especially in the Peisey sector. As others have indicated, weather conditions a lottery. In January I've had the extremes of a full sunny week with daytime temperatures consistently above freezing but also a week where it snowed constantly and only the old Palafour with one piste was open. The roads in and out were blocked most of the time too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Sounds like my experience of only being able to ski 2 days out of 6 was pretty unusual
As a Tignes apartment owner I'd say so.

In about 60 -70 ski days at Tignes/espace Killy, in all months of the year, winter and summer seasons, I can only think of two days where all ski lifts were stormbound/closed. One was one November and the other a March day. At all times, the snow has always been at least good but mostly excellent and - like at all other ski areas - the weather has been good, bad or indifferent wink.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lived there all last season and only didn't ski out of choice not due to massive closures. Also we often poke out above the fogs in the valleys - especially up the Grande Motte
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had some truly shocking weather about 10 years ago in Tignes in January. Most days the lifts didn't open until midday or later, and the Val d'Isere link opened only for a couple of hours. Only one black run opened all week, and then only for an afternoon. The few runs that were open were completely rammed and the small number of available lifts had some truly exceptional queues. The lift company seemed completely unprepared, even though the total snowfall wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in most Rocky Mountain resorts. Things were so bad that we were even given a refund on our lift pass.

But skiing always comes with a weather risk. Go low and you might not have enough snow; go high, and you might have too much. Go low and you might find rain; go high, and you might be blown off the mountain. Go early season and the snow might not have arrived; go mid-season and the crowds will have skied away the powder; go late season and everything might have melted.

You have to take the rough with the smooth. Over the course of a lifetime, you'll lose a few trips to bad weather but you'll have had far more magical experiences taking the first lift on a bluebird morning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I can only think of two days where all ski lifts were stormbound/closed

I'm sure that's true. The lift companies always keep minimum number of lifts open to avoid refund claims and negative publicity. However, not much fun attempting to ski down in a blizzard from the only lift open, with several hundred other people trying the same. I'd guess that during 27 years and about 75 weeks of skiing only about 6 weeks have been badly affected by poor weather. Only 1 week I'd describe as a 'write-off'.

Bear in mind it is usually very easy to pick up discounted late deals in early January. By booking no sooner than 7 days before travelling you can get a good idea of snow conditions, weather forecast...and save a lot of cash.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones wrote:
Had some truly shocking weather about 10 years ago in Tignes in January. Most days the lifts didn't open until midday or later, and the Val d'Isere link opened only for a couple of hours. Only one black run opened all week, and then only for an afternoon. The few runs that were open were completely rammed and the small number of available lifts had some truly exceptional queues. The lift company seemed completely unprepared, even though the total snowfall wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in most Rocky Mountain resorts. Things were so bad that we were even given a refund on our lift pass.

Par for the course - anywhere in North America that has significant alpine terrain has a number of lockdown days a season when you get the same impact. For an area like Tignes, frankly if the pisteurs can't see it to control it I don't want them opening lifts. Had shutdown days in Engelberg, Les 2 Alpes, Chamonix as well as Whistler Blackcomb, Squaw, Alpine, Kirkwood, Fernie and Heavenly so can happen more or less anywhere. Best was WB when they finally opened Blackcomb around 2.30pm having already credited that day's pass. Private powder runs if you could dodge the fallen trees and debris for the few of us that still had kit and were near the mountain (if slightly drunk).
snow report
intermediate you appear to have been very unlucky with the weather on your ski trips. I have had a similar amount of ski experience, but tend to count the days not the weeks ever since I discovered that to some people a week was 6 days. Most of the time my skiing is only at the end of December/Early January and end of March/April so not in the middle of winter and during that time we have lost 1 day due to bad weather when the wind was very high and we had some shopping to do.

Just an observation: if it didn't snow we would have nothing to ski on
snow conditions
Quote:

intermediate you appear to have been very unlucky with the weather on your ski trips.

I'd thought only 6 weeks badly affected by poor weather out of total 75 weeks skiing was pretty lucky. Only 1 week when I wished I'd stayed at home or gone somewhere warm and sunny (Tignes, late January 1998 I think). Over 90% approval rating beats most other aspects of life I think!
snow conditions
We were in Tignes this year w/c 13th Jan and skied every day. It was very cold all week (-25 some days,) had a few bluebird days and only a couple with poor visibility. As long as you can cope with the cold you should get some good skiing in and the snow will be decent.
snow report
Never had a problem in Tignes any more or less than anywhere else. Had it quite mild and bitterly cold at the time you suggest. Luck of the draw. If Tignes was particularly known for bad weather then not so many people would go there.
There is always a trade off between altitude and being snow sure. Once you are above the tree line it's a moonscape anywhere. If you go to a resort with lots of tree lined runs its going to be low and not so snow sure.
It must have been a huge dump to effectively close the resort for several days. About a day and half is the most I have ever known.
latest report
I have skiied the last 3 years in either Tignes or Val d'Isere over Xmas or New Year week. Quite a lot of it has been beautifully sunny, so I don't think I'd worry too much. I've only had one truly dreadful day (27th Dec 12) where it was a struggle to go outside let alone up a chair lift, and the resort only ran the beginners lifts. On the 28th the resort missed lift opening by 1.5 hrs as it had snowed hard & continuously for nearly 36 hrs, so the piste groomers were struggling as there was just so much snow. I ruptured my ACL in the powder about half an hour later but that's another story!
snow conditions
Stayed in Val D'Isere just after New Year this year, apart from a slight delay to lifts opening on the Friday, due to heavy snow during the night and the pisteurs carrying out avalanche blasting, no issues at all!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy