Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trialing a board in a fridge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I spent 2 hours in Cas Vegas today trialing a couple of new boards. The Nidecker was nice but not awesome, the Batteleon was slow to turn, but lively under pressure. Neither seemed substantially more fun than my ageing Burton custom.
The question is, did I try the wrong boards in the right place, or the right boards in the wrong place?

Your opinions please.
Thanks,
Iain
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Trying stuff out on tiny beginner slopes is obviously less than ideal if you normally ride big mountains, but it's also better than nothing. You should be able to tell if the boards are the right size at least.

Many "popular" boards are differentiated only by graphics in practice, so your analysis could be entirely correct.

I'd try some radically different board designs (eg different construction materials, sidecut profiles, cambers, brands, widths, flex profiles) and see if you can find some which are better or worse. If they really don't make much difference, then wait until you find one that does....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having been a former custom advocate, I can vouch for the fact that you will struggle to find a significantly better all round board. I had both a Rome Agent and a Stepchild Simon Chamberlain since and neither quite had that 'feel'. So last year I got a Forum Destroyer and rediscovered what a playful and versatile board feels like. The fact that the Forum is basically a Burton with different graphics may have something to do with that. Unfortunately Burton decided in their infinite wisdom (and greed) to quietly close down Forum last year.

The Batteleon has the triple base tech which I found to feel a bit vague when initiating turns (as the edges are raised up off the snow) but if you really charge it then they can be great fun. Perhaps spend a bit of time chatting to some guys in your local shops about the kind of riding you do (and want to do) then get some recommendations on shapes, flex, camber etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
Trying stuff out on tiny beginner slopes is obviously less than ideal if you normally ride big mountains, but it's also better than nothing. You should be able to tell if the boards are the right size at least.

Many "popular" boards are differentiated only by graphics in practice, so your analysis could be entirely correct.

I'd try some radically different board designs (eg different construction materials, sidecut profiles, cambers, brands, widths, flex profiles) and see if you can find some which are better or worse. If they really don't make much difference, then wait until you find one that does....

Disagree, snow in the domes is completely different to being out on a mountain, speed is significantly slower, and turns are shorter/shallower. Other than getting a very very general feel for the board I don't think they're a very good test.

Bataleon TBT is going to be sketchy indoors if you aren't used to it, as it's slower edge to edge, and the snow offers less hold too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In conclusion, I selected last years Head "Evil Kurs" from the discount rack, upon the advice at Ellis Brigham. Having discussed my needs in great detail, the shop manager handed me an irresistable discount, and the advice that I should take a leap of faith.
Now I know I never wanted a rocker, on principal, but after a couple of hours in the fridge and 1 week in Belle Plagne, I can safely say that it has transformed my riding. Maybe not so purist, but WTF, its good fun and I only fall when try something REALLY stupid.
So good I bought my daughter a cambered rocker (Rome Romp) for Christmas..its transformed our family holidays..now my Missus (skiing for a gazillion years) is the slowest of the pack!

Happy days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy