Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski juddering

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and girls. Part time lurker here and thought it was about time I posted again Madeye-Smiley
Anyway, I've ski'd 8 weeks since 2001, 7 of which were with tuition and mostly in Verbier, plus a week each at Kitz and Sauze area. I'd consider myself to be an intermediate level and have my own fitted boots but hire skis each time. I can happily ski parallel although this translates to more sliding self-preservation style on black runs but I'm confident on reds and can manage to fluff my way through off-piste if it's not too deep and negotiate moguls with a lack of grace but few falls.

The problem I seem to have is that quite often on turns my ski's will judder. It's almost like they're going throught the motions of gripping then sliding then gripping, then sliding etc but in a very fast motion i.e. a judder.
I've been told that (apart from my technique rolling eyes ) it could be that I need more advanced skis with less flex.
It could also be that my knackered and abused body can't cope because I don't bend or flex like I used to, late 40's in age but pretty fit with regular exercise, however I broke my left ankle 3 years ago and also cut the muscle to the bone just above the knee when I was 14 so it's always been slightly weaker on that side. Sad

I'd appreciate any advice on this before my next trip in January, maybe something I can work on or could it be as simple as needing better hire ski's?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a possibility that the ski could be too soft, but there's also aspects of your technique which could cause or contribute to it.

The judder is caused by the ski sliding sideways and alternately catching and releasing it's 'bite' on the snow.

Try making the turn rounder so the ski is moving forwards, rather than sideways, especially when initiating the turn. Use the turn shape to control speed, and if you need to skid, then try a little less edge angle so it doesn't bite as aggressively initially.

This is my opinion, however, and is worth exactly what you've paid for it. I'm sure a more qualified SH will be along shortly to shoot it down in flames Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I take it you mean they judder sideways? (laterally) There may be a number of reasons for this. Possible ones are; overloading the new outside ski too quickly creating pressure you can't manage; COM dropping too far inside the turn and onto the inside ski providing insufficient pressure to find the necessary grip; upper body rotation; poor fore/aft balance. It might be easier if you could give a little more detail as to how the problem develops and better still if you have footage of yourself. Equipment may be contributing but I think it is more likely to be a preominantly technical issue.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like you are not managing the pressure, especially towards the final third of the turn. Solutions:

1. Slow down (but that's dull)
2. Allow the skis to skid a bit by flattening them ever so slightly (sensible technique for steep terrain for most skiers)
3. Tip the skis on to their edges more, to enable them to grip more (fine for moderate terrain, but be aware the speed will increase)

Juddering often happens because people get tense and stiffen their legs. Use your natural suspension (by flexing ankles, knees and waist) and you'll get more control.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skid, As well as thinking about your technique, trying different ski's will not do any harm and could improve your awareness of what's going on under your feet. Each ski will ski differently and being able to feel those differences will help you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting - I've occasionally had judder when hard fast "carving" on high angle groomers. Thinking about it it has usually been on specific skis around 112mm in waist. Think I posted a thread about it a couple of years ago.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2015452&highlight=judder#2015452

More edge and tune that edge proper seem to be main conclusions
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Increasing the edge angle in isolation won't necessarily address this issue. It may be part of the solution but only in conjunction with accurate lateral and fore/ aft balance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ade57 wrote:
It may be part of the solution but only in conjunction with accurate lateral and fore/ aft balance.
Sure, everything needs to be in balance, otherwise you fall over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Ade57 wrote:
It may be part of the solution but only in conjunction with accurate lateral and fore/ aft balance.
Sure, everything needs to be in balance, otherwise you fall over.

LOL
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FWIW I don't recall getting my judder last winter. Either this means I've gone super-smoov or more likely have just got slower/skiddier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thigh burn too?

used to get that and judder. I think in my case it was skiing skiddier, and fighting the slope/gravity, definitely the tensed up legs that rob@rar mentioned.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, A bit dismissive as I was refering to addressing the issues I mentioned earlier in the thread i.e. that problems and thus solutions are rarely one dimensional e.g. tilt more!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ade57, not dismissive, sorry if you think I was. I gave three possible solutions, not just one, all of which require changes to body management in order to make the different solutions work. My intention was to provide an answer which I believe addresses the most common cause of judder, and to keep it simple because, not least, I've not seen the OP ski. Therefore the changes to body management are implied in my answer, not detailed. I simply wouldn't be able to provide a detailed answer without seeing them ski, preferably with my own eyes rather than video.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I was referring to you quoting my post
snow report
Ade57 wrote:
rob@rar, I was referring to you quoting my post
What was incorrect about my reply to your post? As I said, I'm not in a position to be able to comment on the OP's lateral or fore/aft balance as I've not seem them ski. You might have seen them ski so you can give them a more detailed reply, but as it is all I can say that any changes you need to make must be accompanied by appropriate balance otherwise you fall over. That's nothing more than stating the obvious, surely?
ski holidays
I'm surprised you struggle to understand. I too was trying to give hime some help which I believe may well be valid. Unlike you I haven't seen him ski and therefore don't have that advantage. I wouldn't dream of questioning the validity or relevance of your comments. I was simply refering to the comment 'Sure, everything needs to be in balance, otherwise you fall over,' which isn't necessarily understood by skiers as I'm sure like me you see a lot of balance issues impeding progress and it's not simply a case of whether they fall over or not. That's all I meant.
latest report
Ade57, well, all I can say it that I was not trying to be dismissive. Simply stating a point which I believe to be obvious, and in the absence of any knowledge of how the OP skis I tried to keep my contribution as simple as possible.
snow conditions
Ade57, Someone's not reading rob@rar's posts. He said he hadn't seen him ski either.
snow conditions
Quote:

Unlike you I haven't seen him ski

Puzzled
rob@rar said
Quote:

I've not seen the OP ski
ski holidays
feef, The point is the same regardless but I'll leave it at that as there is clearly a misunderstanding of the point I'm making.
snow report
...anyway, what was the question.

wink
latest report
Skid,

How steep are the slopes you are skiing?

Does the judder happen in every turn or only once you have picked up speed?

Does the judder happen at the end of the turn while you are trying to scrub off speed?

Does it occur to both skis or just the outside ski?

When the skis judder do you press harder / weight the skis more or flex to relieve the pressure?

I sometimes experience ski judder on steeper slopes. Concentrating on getting the shoulders parallel to slope tends to cure it for me.
snow report
Blimey, I go away for a week and all hell lets loose on the thread Laughing

Ok, having read all the suggestions and questions and since thought a bit more about the problem, bearing in mind my goldfish memory and the fact I didn't ski this year or last so rose-tinted specs may cloud the view wink I can say that:-

1 - It happens on pisted slopes, generally the steeper the slope the more the judder.
2 - It's the outside ski.
3 - It's from halfway or more through the turn.
4 - It's definitely worse on my weaker leg and towards the end of the week when my legs are getting wrecked by that stage.

From the points you've made, I'm thinking it's partially caused by leg muscle weakness which is giving less control, mixed in with a smattering of poor technique and poor balance, aided by inflexible joints and a stiff lower back (dodgy sacro-iliac apparently) failing to really get my hips angled fully into the turn. Apart from that it's perfect Very Happy
Unfortunately I don't have any footage of myself but I have seen some on my mates video and to my eye I definitely look too stiff. Maybe I should have started skiing when I was young and flexible rolling eyes
snow conditions
Skid, Start with your own suspension . . . the stiffer and more tense you are in trying to 'perform' the worse you will do so. The less you 'push' and the more you 'absorb' the surface irregularities the more sure and continuous your skis will be in contact with the snow. This is an essential to allow you to improve your techniques and really ramp up your skills acquisition and progression.

RELAX!!! let your skis follow the snow.
ski holidays
My own experience suggests excess pressure on inadequately edged skis... little to do with shock absorption...
latest report
Skid,

A good instructor should be able to sort it out for you, in the meantime this might help.

http://www.epicski.com/t/48772/ski-chatters-on-steep-slopes
snow report
DB,
Quote:
3(a) - Edge and pressure should happen simultaneously - not one before the other, in either order.

This could run for a few pages here wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
Skid,

A good instructor should be able to sort it out for you, in the meantime this might help.

http://www.epicski.com/t/48772/ski-chatters-on-steep-slopes

We usually have instructors for three days as a group so I'll see how it goes. Nice link by the way Cool
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Skid, Start with your own suspension . . . the stiffer and more tense you are in trying to 'perform' the worse you will do so. The less you 'push' and the more you 'absorb' the surface irregularities the more sure and continuous your skis will be in contact with the snow. This is an essential to allow you to improve your techniques and really ramp up your skills acquisition and progression.

RELAX!!! let your skis follow the snow.

It's not so much that I'm tense in trying to perform (ooer missus!!!!) just that I physically struggle to maintain the flexibility and have a nice fluid motion, what with my worn out knees, stiff sacrum and lumbar joints and the complete set of neck joints having a lack of cartilage Sad

The body of an 80 year old with the mentality of a hormonal 16 year old.....what a perfect combo Laughing
snow report
Skid,

Have you tried Stroh 80? Toofy Grin wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh
snow conditions
Skid,

Sounds similar to a problem I had many years ago. You haven't mentioned chattering when your're beating fast down a flattish red at speed. Does this also happen when skiing fats downhill?

I'd suggest a trip to Spyder Jon at ski tuning. sounds like your natural balance point may be a tad towards the rear. IF you can't get up to Nottingham, I'd sugegst if you have moveable bindings, to move them forward a notch (say 5mm) both front and rear on each ski. This may help you initiate the turn and gain more control ove your tips/mor pressure. Bear in mind each ski manufacturer sets their ski's up for "their" average skier. Everyone is different and certainly not avergae. The balance point established for one ski manufacturer may and ofetn does differ from others. Imagine buying a car with a fixed drivers seat without any adjustment at all. Most people would hate it, but somewhat bizzarely do not question it when it comes to ski's Puzzled

I usually have my own bindings set around 8mm forward to compensate me back towards average, and it works on most skis, Blizzards, Head, Atomic, Salomon, Dynastar.

I beleive Jon uses the Cambell balancer, a really simple exercise which transormed my skiing and enabled me to embrace new skis with more enthusuasm and an open mind.

Appreciate more updates on your progress and solution please.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Sounds like you are not managing the pressure, especially towards the final third of the turn. Solutions:

1. Slow down (but that's dull)
2. Allow the skis to skid a bit by flattening them ever so slightly (sensible technique for steep terrain for most skiers)
3. Tip the skis on to their edges more, to enable them to grip more (fine for moderate terrain, but be aware the speed will increase)

Juddering often happens because people get tense and stiffen their legs. Use your natural suspension (by flexing ankles, knees and waist) and you'll get more control.

100% this.

Although skis that are soft can cause this, I personally I have always found stiffer skis a to be real handful (especially when it is steeper and quite firm) for judder. Definitely technique related, and to a lessor extent, a familiarity thing... but honestly I would always go with softer skis for a ski unless you have a genuinely good reason to do otherwise. I am exaggerating somewhat but clearly buying a race ski whn you can barely ski parallel is a very poor choice!
ski holidays
Skid, Both rob@rar, and to a limited extent DB, have it right. Ignore the equipment obsessed, my nomads haven't seen a file or stone on six years and it's only on very early morning crust and glacial ice that I feel even remotely terrified. Whilst it's lovely to have edges you can shave with and having borrowed Ronald's GS race skis at the last eosb I can really appreciate that instantaneous and unlimited grip that will make you feel like a GOD! . . . they will also when used in softer conditions, spit you into a 20m glide path and landing that'll have you still wincing when reaching for a pint 6 months later Evil or Very Mad

Yes bits of us hurt like hell all the time but ultimately the only limitation to our ability on snow is our basic fitness and muscle response (which can be aided with moderate . . . but not recommended application of alcohol)

I'm also old and boogered . . . it gets harder every year but it really is not how perfect the equipment but how prepared you are to use it.

Juddering is caused by inappropriate and/or inaccurate application of pressure to the ski(s). Until you have personal control of that you cannot finesse edge angles and/or ski flex.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

Juddering is caused by inappropriate and/or inaccurate application of pressure to the ski(s). Until you have personal control of that you cannot finesse edge angles and/or ski flex.

+1
latest report

Discuss Toofy Grin

I suspect many have a problem with judder because they start putting the pressure on the ski (Green line) too late and then slam more pressure on at the end of the turn to slow down. Rather than a controlled application it's being slam dunked (technical term wink ) until the edges lose grip.
snow conditions
DB, I think with me it was definitely being late and aggressive in the turn so I can imagine it would happen quite a lot for racers. I do think kit comes into it a bit but only at the margin i.e. I suspect a well tuned GS ski will be less likely to judder than a pow ski with edges like a blunt spoon but it shouldn't be the solution.
latest report
fatbob, if a common cause of juddering comes from too much pressure which ski is likely to be more of a handful in this respect: a really sharp/grippy/narrow ski, or a fat ski with blunt edges?
latest report
I've heard it said that ski racers (GS & DH) put on the pressure even earlier in the turn and let it go earlier resulting in an inverted J.

ski holidays
Of course waist steering can result in different edge angles and too much pressure on either ski resulting in one ski sliding and one ski experiencing judder.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy