Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmaking: the state of the art

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snowmaking is now a substantial international business, involving sophisticated technology and computerised systems, but not all resorts are state-of-the-art.

Snowmaking was invented in America, several decades before it was widely used in Europe from the 1980s. For this reason European snowmaking science, backed by substantial refrigeration concerns such as York, leapfrogged the ageing systems used in many US resorts. High European energy and labour costs were an added incentive to doing it efficiently.

Now, American ski resorts are catching up and installing some very advanced systems. This report from Rocky Mountain News focuses on the set-up at Keystone, Colorado, which has 75 mini weather stations and 400 snowguns.
Quote:
Inside the "control room," LeClair was keeping tabs on localized weather conditions at each gun. He also was checking the quality of the man-made snow particles.

If weather dictated, the computer could adjust the flow of water - and thus the flakes' size and wetness.

"I can get temperatures. I can get humidity. I can get snow quality. I can get everything off that," LeClair said of his computer. "I can click on the mouse and the gun will fire up like that," he said, snapping his fingers.

In contrast, I remember reading another great article on this subject in Powder magazine, which followed the snowmaking nightshift and made it sound like an absolutely horrendous job - fixing frozen guns in freezing conditions.

Have you ever been licensed to own a snow gun?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit slow off the blocks today, DG!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10218
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good grief! Fox News scooped me.
Please accept this Pulitzer Prize ...

... and this bag of Fox's Glacier Mints:
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, thank you!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He deserves the Pulitzer prize. He doesn't deserve the mints.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Abominable snowHead, you should smell my breath!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy