Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dislocated shoulder!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a dislocated shoulder from a rugby incident, which has more or less repaired, anyway I have had a couple of severe falls over the last 15 months or so and have wrenched it.

The end result is I can swim 3km, do weights etc then sneeze and it partially pops.

Is there anything out there I can buy to protect from future falls from skiing, mountain biking etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go see a good physio. They'll give you a regime to strengthen it.

Mine caused me problems for years until I built up the muscles round it properly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roche1800, Good advice from Mosha Marc, . I'd had 4 shoulder dislocations on the left, followed by surgery - years ago - then relatively recently dislocated my right one. Saw a fantastic physio & I've regained full movement of the right one, & I now have more movement in the left than I have had in 30yrs! Building up muscles in your back & shoulder blades will really help.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guys (I assume), thanks for the comments, I have been through physio etc and muscle build up, even done tri's and got to half iron man before k ee gave in (different storey).

What I am trying to ask ... Is there some sort of amazing strapping, brace or suchlike that will protect, when I fall/wipeout it is a biggy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roche1800, Gal in fact wink I've not been offered or seen strapping/brace or suchlike. I think your only protection is strong muscles or surgery. Have you seen a shoulder surgeon?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roche1800, I dislocated my shoulder doing moto x 20 years ago. I used something like this for couple of years.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ElasTech-Compression-Shoulder-Support-/281092013047?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&var=&hash=item417263bbf7
They help, but I could still dislocate it wearing one
I think it depends on how ease it pops out. Mine got to the point that I only had to tug it, and it would pop out. I had it operated on 17 years ago and haven’t had a problem with it, just a little limited movement
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think there's a brace that works, the range of movement in the shoulder is huge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roche1800, although I've not used one, the only shoulder brace I've ever seen that might actually work is a Sully. It used to only be available in the US which is why I never got one but it looks like the design's been sold to Donjoy so now is widely available. http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/sully-shoulder-stabilizer The support mentioned above by Glen Charman looks like it works on the same principle but is a reduced version of it.

FWIW, I came to the conclusion that weight/resistance training is the only real fix, assuming that the actual bone's not grooved and your tendon's not loose. It's a tricky balance between loading the joint to make it stronger and overloading it though. I found latissimus bar pull downs behind the neck really helped if you can get yourself a multigym (even though they're supposed to be dangerous for people with weak shoulders!) The relatively passive shoulder blade positioning and posture exercises that the physios advocated were pointless for me.

I'm a veteran of 30 left shoulder dislocations (and 2 operations) over about 15 years and 2 right shoulder dislocations. They're both ok now for normal life but I avoid contact sport. The left shoulder was an absolute nightmare as it never repaired properly the first time and was only improved 12 years after the first injury when surgical techniques had advanced. It took another 3 years to build up the muscle tone sufficiently for it to be properly stable.

I treated the right shoulder myself both times (they were genuine impact injuries several years apart) and apart from the collar bone clicking a bit due to an excess of scar tissue it's perfectly stable. The Teaching Consultant that I last saw uses my right shoulder as an example of "Why we operate on people and not MRI's". My supraspinatus tendon is completely torn and replaced with scar tissue, built up through resistance training. He told me he's never seen anyone with that injury who could even lift their arm up let alone have normal movement and stability. If your shoulder subluxes a lot but is generally stable you may have a tear in the glenoid labrum rather than the rotator cuff (but I'm not qualified to tell you that, internet advice, disclaimer, etc., etc.) Resistance band exercises will help that a lot.

Good luck with it. Fear of falling because of my weak shoulders was a mental skiing problem for me for years so you have my sympathy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roche1800,

There are braces available as suggested above , they tend to work by restricting the shoulder from getting into a vulnerable position..

If it is really troublesome , and physio not worked then consider seeing a shoulder surgeon.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy