Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2013/2014: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
I've been to Val Thorens around the 15th of December several times, and the links to the other valleys have always been open at some point.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like a good chance that links should be ok with the snow fall. I expect it depends if there is a mild spell now
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Very good link to what's new in 3V. Great read."

Absolutely!

$3k for an old Le Praz bubble? Blimey..

On the bus from Les Gets, just before you get into Taninges on the D902, there's a scrapyard filled with Three Valleys gondolas. Look it up on Street View. There's a few bob's worth there..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ aww if I'd only known, you could have had a new lounge feature for Christmas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski club report for Val T

Val Thorens (90cm/100cm) is in great shape ahead of its opening day on Saturday 23rd November after a huge storm this week.

35cm of fresh snow fell at the resort overnight on Thursday 21st November and heavy snowfall continued in the morning.

On the other side of the Three Valleys Courchevel (25cm/82cm) will join Val Thorens in opening on Saturday and also benefited from around 30cm of new snow on Wednesday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the snow has stopped, the clouds are breaking up, and there is a little sunshine for tomorrow's opening
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Saulire webcam looks BEAUTIFUL today. I don't remember that steep bit though.

http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/webcams-lc72.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few pics from Méribel today.... two weeks until opening day, and looking good

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Patch, great pics!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gorgeous. Can I put an order in for similar conditions come the week beginning January 20 2014? snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

Last year the lifts between VT and the other valleys didn't open until xmas week.

Week before Christmas I think. I was there that week (15th December) and remember being able to ski between all the valleys. They were sometimes a little late opening due to the amount of fresh snow, but that's expected any time of year. Before that, when the links aren't open, they have a discounted lift pass.

Yes - me too - I was in Meribel and can confirm they were open. I am back the same week - if we could have similar conditions that would be incredible.......but unlikely I guess!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice to watch the Les Menuires snow cannon(s) blasting away 24/7 at the moment

http://en.lesmenuires.com/webcams
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know what lifts/runs are likely to be open in Courchevel this weekend?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, nothing as far as I know. It was ridiculously busy last Saturday, according to everyone I know who was there.
ski holidays
nemesys, conditions are very good at the moment, probably even better than this time last year, with more snow forecast at the weekend.
ski holidays
Thanks Patch - good to know. Last year it dumped late November if I remember correctly and we had fresh powder most days when we were there (week before Christmas). I remember skiing with a group down towards Les Menuires from the top of the Plattiers and thinking how amazing the powder was ON PISTE and then getting off piste and just chuckling to myself. Laughing One of the best weeks for snow I've ever had.

A repeat of that would be nice but I should just be grateful for a decent base wink

Cheers,
Dave.
snow report
some good viewing on the Les Menuires 'big air bag' webcam right now as a piste basher starts to spread out the enormous mountains of artificial that have been built up over the last week or so
latest report
So I arrive in Meribel on Saturday 7th on the Inside Out Season Opener. First time to the 3 valleys. Getting very excited looking at the snow conditions. From what you say patch will there be little in the way of inter connecting lifts between the valleys for that week? If not, seems a bit odd that they're offering 3 valleys passes from 7th Dec and saying that the 3 valleys resorts open on that day. Am I missing something?

Also, given the snow, how many of the pistes would you expect to be open that week?

Thanks
ski holidays
abd, on the contrary, I would expect most of the 3V links to be open from 7th Dec. Enjoy your week with Inside Out, and perhaps I'll bump into the group at some point (I did last year).
snow conditions
Thanks patch, I'm sure I will (have a good time that is). Be good to put a face to the snowtag (just made that up; a snowheads hashtag!)
snow conditions
Got confirmation this morning that the 3 valleys links will be open from 7th December
snow conditions
Another 10cm overnight on Friday, Meribel looking good again yesterday. Piles of canon-made snow all over the mountain ready to be spread, but easily possible to ski down to the Chaudanne already
ski holidays
Two weeks today I'll be on my way to Courchevel.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
ski holidays
If I remember, and my memory is pretty bad, the only reason the links between the valleys weren't working fully much before xmas last year was the unusual weather conditions. There was just so much snow dumped in the 2nd week December that they really were struggling to piste bash the snow. There was 2m snow in the village with trucks taking it out and most of the pitstes lust having a narrow slot with thigh deep snow on either side. I remember seeing a piste basher get stuck in the Morraine piste and having to be pulled out by another one.

They were only struggling for a week or so and I think everything was fully open just before the xmas week.
snow conditions
I concur emwmarine. We were in VT that week, and a phenomenal amount of snow fell very quickly. There also wasn't much sun, so little contrast between skiable piste and fresh powder over enormous holes which you fell into well over 6ft deep. This is without going outside the piste markers! Great fun once you learnt the hard way a few times - so much fresh powder! Lots of pistes were closed as they couldn't make them safe quickly enough, opening the 3V links would have been disastrous. 6ft of snow in 24 hrs did give a few interesting moments trying to get around the village though. Even better was watching everyone else trying to do the same Happy
snow report
Skied down to Le Praz this afternoon. Good snow all the way down, with about 10cm of powder further up, around Suisse. More snow forecast at the end of this week, to freshen things up for opening weekend
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

It's looking good HoneyBunny, it's looking very good
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very HappyVery Happy Very Happy
snow report
Here's one of Courchevel, taken this afternoon

latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Meribel for me the same day. Can't wait. Thanks for the updates Patch.

Cheers,
Dave.
snow report
Arrive in Meribel for the first time in the 3 Valleys on Saturday morning. Where would you say are the must areas to explore? Also, will I be able to find any bumps?
snow report
abd, wherever is open should be good on piste... Off piste thin... Given that Saturday is opening day there are unlikely to be any bumps anywhere (certainly earlier in the week...).
snow report
abd

head for Cascades in Val Thorens. Good view here.......

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/live/livecams--webcams/resort-livecam.550.html
snow report
Not if they're rock hard though! If soft or with a bit of new snow they are great. Careful of the odd rock this early.
snow report
Méribel looking good today for tomorrow's opening. Lot's of snow-spreading going on. Some lower slopes, especially the Stade, looking a little bare, but plenty of canon-made snow produced over the last couple of weeks. Weather has been gloriously sunny since last weekend.

If anyone wants me, I'll be on the Tougnette lift at 9am tomorrow morning Smile
snow report
I have a late week off from work, so am travelling 'billy-no-mates' w/c 15 Dec. Would be great to meet any fellow snowheads for a ski or two. based in LT but will be skiing all 3v mainly on-piste.
snow report
The Meribel tourist office were giving away free lift passes to the first 100 people. We were about the 105th Mad but at least we got free breakfast Toofy Grin

The snow was generally pretty good, with some half decent powder to play in under the Tougnette 2 lift. But also some very crusty off piste in places!

Here's a few pictures:

Had a nice nap in the sun sat against that tree Very Happy
ski holidays
ArseCaptain, Nice pics Smile

Is most of the ski area open?
snow report
We only had a Meribel pass so can't comment on the rest of the 3V. But I think that these were the lifts running: Pas du lac, Saulire express, Tougnettes, Plan Des Mains, Cote Brun. I think most of the runs accessed by these lifts were open.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy