Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Climb/Ski 'le vrai' Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999, Cheers. Sole Boot Lab fitted Dynafit Mercurys, volkl nanuq and plum yaks (without the brakes Toofy Grin )

Great set up, I've done a 3 day haute route and a multi day in Monta Rosa with no issues.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buddy, how did the 3-day Haute Route go?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good. 1st day GM to Champex via the col de Chardonnet. 2nd day Verbier to Arolla. 3rd day Arolla to Zermatt. Stayed in valley hotels in Champex (taxi to Verbier the next morning) and Arolla rather than mountain huts. Hotels were cheaper, chance to have a shower and free drinking water. Just means you have to climb a bit further out of Arolla on the 3rd day into Zermatt. Solid 8-9 hour days though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good effort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
superb - 3 day HR is pretty cool training Very Happy
good luck for the big day!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buddy, how did the 3 day Haute Route work out?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
?????
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suspect 22 dropout may have been looking at page 1 of the thread only, not realising there was a page 2 to move onto.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking forward to hearing how this goes. Good luck!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has everyone got page two on "ignore"?

Buddy1664, thanks for the write up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buddy1664 wrote:
Good. 1st day GM to Champex via the col de Chardonnet. 2nd day Verbier to Arolla. 3rd day Arolla to Zermatt. Stayed in valley hotels in Champex (taxi to Verbier the next morning) and Arolla rather than mountain huts. Hotels were cheaper, chance to have a shower and free drinking water. Just means you have to climb a bit further out of Arolla on the 3rd day into Zermatt. Solid 8-9 hour days though.

Nice one! I don't suppose you have more pictures, topos etc? I'd be really interested to hear more about this, maybe on a separate thread?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep. Small print and I do not get along. I too would be like to hear more about the HR, especially average speed and stops/rests, as they can be real speed killers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 dropout, Chamcham, I'll put up another TR for the HR.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Another training run with a couple of friends on Fri/Sat. We thought the best snow was up high and we weren't wrong. We left the mid station at around half 3 and got to the grand mulets hut around 6pm. After some dinner and bug all sleep we left the hut at 2:30am the next morning. We skinned part of the way up the Arrete Royal and then boot packed the rest of the way up to the Dome de Gouter. It was really amazing place to be when dawn broke. Front pointing on an ice slope with the lights of the valley blanketed by low lying cloud far below you. Very special place to be. I would recommend this route to anybody tackling MB in winter. It may be longer but it's far more aesthetically pleasing and you don't have the constant danger of sera fall of the grand mulet direct route.
snow report

We summited at around midday after a really good effort from Paul. Unfortunately the wind had picked up a bit and some cloud had come in. It was good to get skis back on to ski some pretty wind effected snow on the north face.
snow report

Lower down gave some of the best snow I've skied this season, really surfy powder. Lots of fun!!! We skied down to the old lift station and then walked down the track to the tunnel where Paul's lovely wife very kindly picked us up. Good few days in the hills. Powder is coming back to Chamonix, time to dig out the fat skis again!!
snow conditions
Buddy1664 wrote:

We summited at around midday after a really good effort from Paul. Unfortunately the wind had picked up a bit and some cloud had come in. It was good to get skis back on to ski some pretty wind effected snow on the north face.

how was the skiing with 3 skis between 2? wink

looks like a great trip
snow report
Hahaha well spotted. Paul was hanging, so Phil and I took a ski each for him.
snow conditions
Some good trips here Buddy1664 - good luck for the 'oner'
snow report
is this the best thread on snow heads currently? or is it the Ben Nevis off piste? both epic...
ski holidays
Quote:

s this the best thread on snow heads currently? or is it the Ben Nevis off piste? both epic...

Too hard to choose wink
snow conditions
Well I seemed to have tried everywhere else and had two people bail on me at the last minute. So are there any cham locals that have a decent engine and some experience, fancy doing MB from town starting tomorrow night??? Small weather window next few days. Unfortunately I have to be back in the UK this weekend so this is the only opportunity I've got left.

Quote:

is this the best thread on snow heads currently? or is it the Ben Nevis off piste? both epic...

I reckon Ben Nevis off piste has the nod if I don't manage to get a partner. Tried all the guides above but they are either busy (PdG etc) and one thinks a particular slope below the Arrete Royal will be loaded which is fair enough but I'd still like to go and have a look.
snow report
Fingers crossed for your 'oner'.
snow conditions
Buddy1664 wrote:
Well I seemed to have tried everywhere else and had two people bail on me at the last minute. So are there any cham locals that have a decent engine and some experience, fancy doing MB from town starting tomorrow night??? Small weather window next few days. Unfortunately I have to be back in the UK this weekend so this is the only opportunity I've got left.

Quote:

I reckon Ben Nevis off piste has the nod if I don't manage to get a partner. Tried all the guides above but they are either busy (PdG etc) and one thinks a particular slope below the Arrete Royal will be loaded which is fair enough but I'd still like to go and have a look.

I am crying
snow conditions
Sent you a PM RE my mate whos attempting the same. It's a long shot as they've already got their group sorted so I wouldn't get your hopes up but worth a go.
ski holidays
Buddy1664, to have already topped out and skied off Mont Blanc at all is so cool, and much as I hope your bodacious ambition all comes together for you this weekend, the efforts you've put in so far look to have already given you amazing adventures and reaped you rewards that most can only dream of. If it doesn't happen this year, I'm sure you'll get a chance for another pop at it. Cool
snow conditions
rich739, Cheers mate, I've sent him a message.

moffatross, Thanks, just very annoying when the plug gets pulled at the 11th hour. Plus I'm looking at the slope below the Arrete and there is a substantial skin track in from this mornings teams. But… you're absolutely right, I've had a great season with so much on my doorstep. I know it sounds a bit sentimental but I can understand how some people come for the season, fall in love with the place and never leave.

Fingers crossed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, Buddy1664, Great threads from both of you.

Buddy1664, I hope it comes off for you, if not, there's always next year. Better to do it in safety, and succeed, than vice versa Sad
latest report
Any news?
snow conditions
PP, Doesn't look good for this year. Had a possible from rich739, but there group was full. Good luck to them.
ski holidays
Can't you just do Ben Nevis instead wink

Getting the time, equipment, right weather and building up the high level of fitness then having someone else pull the plug must be really frustrating. Evil or Very Mad Be a real shame if it doesn't work out for you this year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-05-14 16:06; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Today and tomorrow should have been ideal esp. if you can move quick before the next weather system comes in.
latest report
davidof, Cheers I know, I have a great view from my window! Toofy Grin

Not prepared to do it solo therefore at the whim of other people. Anyway I've got a lift sorted back to the UK tomorrow. Next year I'm afraid. Thanks for all the support from fellow SHs.
ski holidays
Buddy1664 wrote:
davidof, Cheers I know, I have a great view from my window! Toofy Grin

Not prepared to do it solo therefore at the whim of other people. Anyway I've got a lift sorted back to the UK tomorrow. Next year I'm afraid. Thanks for all the support from fellow SHs.

ah that is really too bad, very frustrating but I've been a victim of other people hemming and hawing in the past so know what it is like.
snow report
No worries.

For your information they didn't make it anyway. They underestimated what a huge ask it is adding a further 2k vert on summit day. We summited today but were in the hut overnight. A oner is truely a special thing, a lot of respect for the training you've done.

Edit: Oh and there was a LARGE slide on the Royale route yesterday. Only 9 people summited, those who took the Mulets. All the guides today were taking people the Mulets route. There was more talk of the loaded slab you mentioned still there and deep. soft avvy debris. We went with the Mulets in the end as whilst seracs are terrifying, willingly walking into a loaded zone is far worse IMO.
snow report
rich739, Thanks mate. Well done for summiting today, it must have been spectacular. Very Happy

Interesting to here about the slide. I must commend Jon Bracey for acting on his conviction and pulling the plug on Sat eve. I'm sure he could have taken my money, got to the slope and turned around to be back in town in time for breakfast.
latest report
Really gutting Buddy1664. Well done on your achievements thus far. Also this was for me the SH thread of the year. I will look forward to your thread next season.
snow conditions
What a good call from Jon Bracey.
Buddy1664, what a great couple of ticks you had anyhow.
snow report
What a thread, what a set of adventures.....Buddy1664, great reading altogether, thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Gutted for you of course about the canned 'Oner' attempt, but hats off to your guide, great call on the potential for a slide. I had 2 good ski buddies doing a classical MB ascent in that weather window and I was nervous as a kitten for them looking at the ava warnings, etc. 1 of them summitted fine, but the other blistered badly& had to turn back, so ok thankfully, but they were lucky obviously.

Well done again on your amazing adventures and thanks for sharing them here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy