Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st Pair of Adult Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy my son his 1st pair of adult skis following a huge growth spurt

Background - Age 15, height 170cm, weight 57kg, fit and athletic been skiing since he was 4. Skis with the typical aggression/confidence/attitude of a 15 year old, fast carves on pretty much anything and everything on piste. Likes to ski at the side of the piste, but rarely goes 'off piste', probably because he skis with me and I dont either.

He has been skiing K2 junior skis for the last few years, last set were Bad Seed (149cm 113/85/104) which he really liked.

We will go to the local fridges to try out the contenders, but you only learn so much in a fridge. So what does he try ? Whats worth it and whats not ?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't advise on which skis but Would tend to go with something at the upper end of his recommended ski length range, as he may well have plenty of growing left to do.
I went from 5'8" to 6' between 15 and 18 but some of my friends had already reached full height.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He cant keep growing, I'm going to need a bigger house rolling eyes

Depends on the skis obviously, but will be buying for him to grow into, he might struggle this year, but with skis at £4-500 I cant afford new ones every year for him.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis aren't £400-500 they're £200 tops for a very decent pair with bindings second hand. He's not heavy but I'd have thought a very detuned soft "sport" version of an adult slalom ski would suit him fine. Keep an eye out on buy/sell.

Failing that there's any number of softish twin tips that would suit & the twin means he can afford to go longer without excessive effective edge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
landlockedpirate, Does he want to stick to twin tips? If they are going to last five years plus you will have to think about where he will want to ski in a few years' time. Personally, I would buy something in the last of the summer sales which is versatile and about head height or 5-10 cm below. One of the Volkl models here might suit http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/advancedsearch.aspx?stockonly=true&saleonly=true&categoryid=46&mainsearchcontrol=true&DiscountLevel=0.15
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin wrote:
landlockedpirate, Does he want to stick to twin tips? If they are going to last five years plus you will have to think about where he will want to ski in a few years' time. Personally, I would buy something in the last of the summer sales which is versatile and about head height or 5-10 cm below. One of the Volkl models here might suit http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/advancedsearch.aspx?stockonly=true&saleonly=true&categoryid=46&mainsearchcontrol=true&DiscountLevel=0.15

Not bothered about twin tips, he just liked the Bad Seeds when he demo'd them and they happened to be twin tips

I am leaning towards K2's (the whole family ski them) and have seen a couple of deals on last years skis. But I wanted to make sure I didnt miss another make of 'must haves'

I used to ski Salomon's and was very brand loyal, I even persevered when they created the truly awful Scramblers. Dont want to make the same mistake with K2, even I do think they are fantastic Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FWIW I've skied Elan's - I've got 3 sets in the house, the kids have had K2 and Fischers all seem good skis, but I don't know much about ski makes generally. Maybe if you wanted a different option he could try demo-ing some of the 80+mm Amphibios like these http://www.elanskis.com/ce/all-mountain-amphibio.html However, surely these days it's all about branding isn't it - do any of the big manufacturers actually make a bad ski? Could you make the SH ski test in Milton Keynes in a couple of weeks (see The Piste) - How far NW are you?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
These are a bargain, a good carver. At this price you can change them when he out grows them.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741249/products/k2_amp_ricochet_skis_and_marker_mx14_bindings.aspx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
FWIW I've skied Elan's - I've got 3 sets in the house, the kids have had K2 and Fischers all seem good skis, but I don't know much about ski makes generally. Maybe if you wanted a different option he could try demo-ing some of the 80+mm Amphibios like these http://www.elanskis.com/ce/all-mountain-amphibio.html However, surely these days it's all about branding isn't it - do any of the big manufacturers actually make a bad ski? Could you make the SH ski test in Milton Keynes in a couple of weeks (see The Piste) - How far NW are you?

Ski test looks like a good idea.

Its an interesting question, are there any bad skis, or just bad skiers Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lechbob wrote:
These are a bargain, a good carver. At this price you can change them when he out grows them.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741249/products/k2_amp_ricochet_skis_and_marker_mx14_bindings.aspx

Great find, they are stupid cheap, may even take a punt untried at that price. The bindings are £150 on their own !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
landlockedpirate, I agree, but if he grows another 10cm the 160 length may feel a bit short. However, at the price you should be safe to re-sell or pass on to another family member.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beequin wrote:
landlockedpirate, I agree, but if he grows another 10cm the 160 length may feel a bit short. However, at the price you should be safe to re-sell or pass on to another family member.

On reflection I think you are right, I doubt they will see him through to Feb the way he is growing. No one left to pass onto, daughter is older and could be descibed as 'petite' so no good for her. I was thinking of 167's really, give him a couple of years at least (I hope !)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy