Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's all mountain skis, which ones and what length?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my 1st pair of skis (I already have my own boots) before I move to France for the season. I know that I want an all mountain ski with twin tips as I don't want to be limited to where I can ski! Firstly I've been looking at the Atomic Elysian, Faction Heroine and the Scott Lola and was wondering whether anyone has skied any of these and can recommend or steer me away from them? or if anyone can recommend a different ski?

Secondly, I've been trying to work out what length ski I need.....I am 5'6 and weigh about 56kg, intermediate to advanced skier. Having looked at guides I've worked out that 160 would be a good length for me, is this about right? I know that the skis I have been looking at have twin rockers and have read that this can mean you can increase the length of the ski a bit, again is this so or should I ignore this advice?

Really appreciate any help and advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would look at a little longer for all mountain, I'm 5'9, 175cm and ski 177cm for my main all mountain ski (Volkl Aura), I also have a rockered 177cm ski (Rossi S3) which is too short so will probably look for something in the mid to high 180cm's. I've not tried any of the skis you mention but if you are doing a season I would try to demo, the new Rossis look nice, have read a lot of positive reviews of Nordica skis recently, Blizzards seem to be universally raved about in the US although maybe not as common in Europe and the Volkl Aura is pretty much a classic all round ski. I would try as many skis as you can when you get to your resort and try some after than you think you want then try to get a decent deal as a seasonaire.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NPurnell89, but surely the limitation on where you can take a pair of skis is a limitation of the skier, not the ski (possible exception of park rattery)...

Anyway, bearing that in mind, in my experience you'd be mad to buy before you get there. Unless you are heading somewhere really tiny and remote in France.

A. The UK generally doesn't stock everything (as it's a restricted market by having a relatively limited domestic ski audience)
B. In my experience the general standard of pre-purchase advice will be lower than you'd get in France.
C. You don't really specify what sort of skier you are, nor how keen you are but if you are keen to improve, you will do so over a season and will want a different ski midway thru than you buy today. Possibly radically different (e.g. If you decide that rando fits your bag).
D. If you are getting a job, your employer may well provide rentals for you.
E. In any case, you can generally negotiate good season long deals which will allow you to try many different skis, and upgrade as required, buying once you have a much better idea of what you like and want.
F. I'd suggest in any case you really shouldn't buy skis without trying them and you are likely to find a much better selection (and possibly better prices) out here.

...and have a terrific season!! Where you heading for? snowHead Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks lynseyf what you've said about ski length has been helpful Smile and I'll definitely check out some of the skis you've mentioned!

I'm only thinking about buying now cos I have seen some pretty good deals online of last season skis and was thinking that I might get a better deal there rather than getting new season skis in resort (I've just graduated uni and my budget is quite tight). Plus I had some pretty ropey rentals on my last season and don't want a repeat of that so am quite keen to sort out my own skis sooner rather than later, especially as I want to start venturing off-piste more and into the park.
But I can see that you are both right in saying that I should demo first and that I should take into consideration that I might need to upgrade too soon if I rush into buying something now! I'll certainly give it some more thought.

And I'm not sure which resort I'm going to yet, but the company I'm going to be working for is mainly based in the three valleys and paradiski so should be pretty good wherever I end up!! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As to length guides, add 5cm (minimum) if you can ski well, add 5cm if there's a twintip, add 5cm again if the skis are rockered.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I recommend a demo session if you can. However, buying skis in French ski resorts can be an expensive exercise even with a seasonnaire discount.
I tried the Scott Lola's last year, and didn't like them one bit. My current all mountain twin tips are Nordica Soulrider in 177cm ( I know-they sound really long, but they ski so easily in that length). They aren't marketed as women's skis, but I found them just right for me, carve well on piste, not too stiff. A really go anywhere ski, despite the 97mm under foot. Also look at the Blizzard Black Pearls which topped virtually every test last year. I tried them in 166 (am 5 ft 5) and thought they were great too. You may find some of last years' available.i don't think you could go wrong with them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy