Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Italy, March 2014?

Poster: A snowHead
The amount of information on these forums has been a great resource and am hoping I could get some suggestions as I start to plan for a trip in the spring. Tentative dates are the 2nd week of March.

After skiing only in the states for decades, we've been fortunate to a spend a week in Chamonix two years ago and a week in Zermatt last year. For next year's trip, we are think of trying an Italian resort.

The family is a mix of expert skiers, a few intermediates, and a few non-skiers. We will get an off-piste guide for the experts. The non-skiers will want enough to keep themselves interested for a week and good scenery and food. I've read about so many options on here it is really hard to narrow it down. Given the group mix and the time of year, are there any obvious suggestions to focus on?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gressoney in Aosta Valley
Ski area www.monterosa-ski.com
Example hotel http://www.chaletdulys.it/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rustlerski, I would go somewhere on Sella Ronda in Dolomites. Selva, Corvara or Arabba.
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/ski-holidays-11EN.html

Huge area, great scenery and food. Yet to visit though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rustlerski, Monterosa is a good suggestion for skiing but if you are wanting a good Italian ambience, Gressoney would not be my first choice as a place to stay - Champoluc (although not immensely busy either) has more restaurants, bars, etc. Gressoney is rather a one horse town. Possibly no horses....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly into Venice, maybe a night or two there. Get a good hotel with spa somewhere in Dolomites as per Tom's suggestions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rustlerski, sorry, didn't read the non-skiers thing. Dolomites e.g. Cortina a good idea. Courmayeur also possibly good. Spa a good plan...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've heard very good things about Cortina, some friends of mine visited recently and haven't stopped talking about it Razz

I don't know how you're planning to book but they went through a company called 'Catered Ski Chalets', haven't used them before but from what I keep hearing ( wink), it was amazing

Let us know where you end up choosing, be good to hear about Italy's skiing, haven't been before but would love to go!

SK
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cortina, yes for the none skiers, but it is way past its sell by date compared to the resorts on the Sella Ronda.

There's loads of nice hotels with spa's, I can highly recommend the Sporthotel in Arabba. Finish the week off with a few days in Venice, everyone's a winner.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Selva in the ValGardena area is great to ski the sella ronda or just the immediate area.
Non skiers could take trips to Cortina or to Bolzano. Bolzano is where the Ice Man is and is worth a visit. The old part of town is good for shops and restaurants. I was there for the Xmas Markets. The other vilages in the ValGardena look good too. The scenery is stunning. The Hotel Pinetta is good for food and accommodation but does not have a spa.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for all the replies. A lot of leads to look further into!
One thing that Murdocgj mentioned which I hadn't thought about was the ability to do day trips for the non-skiers which I think would be really great. I'll start looking into all of this and am open to anything else that others want to contribute.
Thanks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After more research and talking with the family it looks like somewhere in the Sella Ronda area is preferred. It now looks like we will go the 3rd week of March. Is this potentially too late in the season to head to the Sella Ronda or parts of the Sella Ronda? Thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I go to the Dolomites 3rd week of March each year. It isn't too late but some years the snow is 'better in the morning'. It will freeze overnight and if it is very hot and and sunny, the snow lower down will be soft in the afternoons. Still good though and still good higher up
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, March is fine for the Sella Ronda.
Sella Ronda is a very beautiful area with spectacular mountains but mostly not so good for tougher skiing unless you hire a guide for the off piste (which not many people do). Lots of blues and reds. Arraba has the best steeper skiing and access to the Marmolada but is perhaps too small a village for the non skiers. Cortina is nearby but I'm not fond of it (rather bitty skiing around the edges of a largish town that is fashion rather than skier oriented). Don't miss the lost valley at Lagazuoi - above the Falzarego Pass (you need to take a bus to get to the lift).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the snow is 'better in the morning'. It will freeze overnight and if it is very hot and and sunny, the snow lower down will be soft in the afternoons. Still good though and still good higher up

So pretty standard for Western Europe...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rustlerski, Sella Ronda is an excellent choice. I'd agree withmurdocgj's suggestion of the Val Gardena valley, since as well as the direct connection to the Sella Ronda at Selva, there is good skiing in the valley itself (there's the Men's World Cup Downhill Sass Long course with its famous "camel bumps" that ends in St Cristina). From St Cristina you can take the lift up the other valley side to the Seceda from where you can take the 10.5km long red run no.2 La Longia down to Ortisei/St Ulrich (all the towns have both Italian and German names, as well as a different third name in the local Ladin language!) Laughing . Someone has posted a YouTube video of them skiing La Longia here, note the frozen waterfall by the side of the piste at 6:50! Cool

http://youtube.com/v/d-TZ9inRMQU

Ortisei also has a lift on the other side that goes up to the Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi plateau which has some quite gentle skiing.

I've stayed in both Selva and Ortisei, and although Selva is directly on the Sella Ronda you might care to consider staying in Ortisei since:
a) Ortisei is undoubtedly the prettiest of the Val Gardena towns
b) It would probably appeal to your non skiers since there are a number of local wood carving shops there, there's an interesting museum about the history and culture of Val Gardena, pedestrians can take the gondola up to the Seiser Alm plateau where there are some nice walks, and it's somewhat closer to Bozen/Bolzano if they fancy a day trip there to see the Iceman (recommended). For the skiers amongst you if you stay in Ortisei and want to get quickly to Selva to do the Sella Ronda you can always take the frequent bus from Ortisei to Selva.

You didn't say whether you were intending using a tour operator or DIY. DIY is very easy, for Val Gardena the most convenient arrival airports are Innsbruck in Austria and Verona in Italy, both of which are served by budget airlines from the UK, and both of which have transfer busses in Winter to Val Gardena run by Terravision. You can find accommodation via http://www.valgardena.it/en/
snow conditions
Thanks for the confirmation on the Sella Ronda and all the additional information. We'll look into lodging options in the Val Gardena valley. From initial research there doesn't seem to be the same amount of large chalets as we saw in Zermatt last year. I'm sure we'll figure it out.
We'll be hiring a guide for the off-piste for at least part of the week. I guess I'll have to look into that after we figure out the lodging.
We will be doing it DIY most likely, as we did Chamonix and Zermatt the last few years.
snow conditions
Not many Italians ski off piste so there are not many guides. The person who wrote the off piste guide book for the Dolomites (Freeride in Dolomiti) is Francesco Tremolada. He is a guide and photographer and his email is info@proguide.it . If he isn't free he can probably recommend someone.
It is a tremendous area for more challenging off piste and for big open slopes the Marmolada in particular has a huge area to explore (see a TR by Horizon about one of our holidays - Sorry, I've touted this on here lots of times).
snow conditions
rustlerski, you have a PM
latest report
Alastair Pink thanks for the detail on Ortisei. Any other thoughts on the best town to base in? My inclination is Selva due to the higher altitude and lift access, but uncertain. Thanks again.
ski holidays
Ortisei is too far from the Sella Ronda skiing though it is a pretty town. Selva is quite a big town so not as scenic to stay in as some other places which are more like villages, but certainly a contender.
ski holidays
Would say Selva too. Not so much the altitude (not really an issue tbh), but better links in all directions (especially if you fancy skiing further afield). Saying that I guess there's a regular ski bus that'd get you to Santa Cristina (between Ortisei and Selva) which links directly in to the Sella Ronda. Can still (sort of) easily get to Alpe di Siusi from Selva (taxi and/or bus helps though)
snow report
I'd agree that for the skiing alone Selva is a more convenient location for the Sella Ronda and any places accessed from the Sella Ronda. However rustlerski specifically stated that his party included a few non-skiers, which is why I suggested he might care to consider Ortisei as well for the reasons stated.

Having said that, if you are based in Selva there's no reason why the non-skiers can't take the bus down to Ortisei. Madeye-Smiley

If you do stay in Selva I can recommend the Hotel Armin, the food there is excellent.
snow report
Although the busses from Ortisei to Selva are fairly frequent, they do take a little while to get there. Also if staying in Selva, make sure your accomodation is either near the two main lifts (Ciampinoi & Dantercepies) or near a bus stop to take you to the lifts. Parts of Selva away from the main street are higher up and you don't want to be walking up there in your ski boots.
latest report
I've started looking into lodging options for the 10 people going and getting more input from them as we narrow this down. Someone found some options in Corvara and Colfosco. Anyone with experience there relative to Selva/Ortisei/S. Christina?

Thanks again!
snow report
Colfosco has some some very gentle beginner slopes which are part of the Sella Ronda in the clockwise direction (you're sitting on a chairlift in the anticlockwise direction Laughing) , and also a nice side valley called the Edelweisstal with a couple of nice reds and a short black. Corvara is the next village on from Colfosco when going clockwise round the Sella Ronda (and is a bit larger than Colfosco), and is also convenient for heading over to Armenterola from where you can .get a taxi to Passo Falzarego from where you take the Lagazoi cable car to do the Hidden Valley run back to Armenterola.

One thing to bear in mind if you're doing DIY is that if you are staying in Colfosco or Corvara then there is not a direct transfer bus from Innsbruck airport, the Terravison transfer only goes as far as Selva in the Val Gardena valley. You'd need to arrange a local taxi to take you from Selva to Colfosco/Corvara. You can however fly into Venice Marco Polo airport and use the Cortina Express transfer via Cortina to Corvara or Colfosco (their winter service when it appears on their website shortly should include Colfosco as well as Corvara). I used Cortina Express from Colfosco to Venice Marco Polo in March this year.

Edit: I would however comment that you said you had a few non skiers in your party, and for them I think staying in Val Gardena would be preferable as there is more for them to do (e.g Ortisei and the Seiser Alm and also a day trip to Bozen/Bolzano to see the iceman as someone previously mentioned)
ski holidays
+1 for St Ulrich/Ortisei. A really lovely pretty town with lots of shops and coffee houses which has lifts, as has been said, to Seiseralm and also to Seceda from where there is a great run down to St Christina from where you access an underground train that brings you out at a sella ronda connecting gondola. Seiseralm is very gentle for skiing and non skiers have lots of cleared winter paths
snow report
We are trying to get something booked but have had a hard time finding options for our group size (10 to 12) adults. Do options like this exist as we found in Switzerland last year? So far we've just looked at getting multiple apartments, which will work if it is the only option. Thanks again!
snow report
It looks like the best large apartments are in Ortisei, the La Selva area, and near the Plan Da Tieja areas. The skiers in the group have concluded that they want to be in Selva for the best access. With none of us having been there, any additional input on making the decision?

For Selva, I've found some options with multiple units on Strada Ciampinei, Strada Larciunei and Strada Col da Lech.

Once again, thanks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick update. The non-skiers are now thinking of doing there own trip. If it is just skiers, is selva still the best base or maybe arabba? Or something else? Once again, thanks!
ski holidays
rustlerski, If it's just skiers, then in Val Gardena I would definitely recommend staying in Selva. Arabba is also a good option too (it's where the snowHeads have their annual Birthday Bash! snowHead ), but it is a bit smaller town than Selva and won't have as many apres-ski venues as Selva (although you can certainly still get a drink in Arabba! Laughing ). Arabba is closer to the Marmolada glacier, but Selva makes it easier to explore the Val Gardena area including the Men's WC Downhill to St Christina and the Seceda skiing including the long red down to Ortisei. Personally my preference for a first time visit to the Dolomites would be Selva, but either would be good. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Great thread. I was planning something similar myself, but worried about March. Y'all have convinced me!

March 12 - 16 for a cheeky boys weekend.

rustlerski, enjoy your trip
snow report
rustlerski wrote:
Quick update. The non-skiers are now thinking of doing there own trip. If it is just skiers, is selva still the best base or maybe arabba? Or something else? Once again, thanks!
Either would be good for the skiers. An option for the others would be a few days in Venice then join the skiers for a couple of days - there are marked walking trails, toboggan runs etc plus they can use some of the lifts to get the full benefit of the fantastic scenery, it really is stunning.
ski holidays
Here is a great TR on some dolomites off piste

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97141
snow conditions
Thanks again everyone. With it just the skiers, we are going to try to find a 4 bedroom apartment so we don't all have to split up. It looks like there are some in the La Selva area and the Plan Da Tieja areas just outside Selva. Any experience in these locations just outside of Selva itself? It looks great for skiing access but not sure how it will be to go get dinner / drinks afterwards.
latest report
I've not stayed in that area myself, but looking on the map you are between Selva and St Christina. There is a bus that runs the valley at 9 euro's for the week, and a night bus till 2.00am
http://www.val-gardena.com/?artid=589&lang=eng&pagid=273
snow report
Does anyone have experience with the bus mentioned in the above post? It looks like the area between Selva and St. Christina might be very good for skiing access, but a bit concerned about managing dinner, etc. after skiing.
In Chamonix we stayed near the Flegere base and it was very convenient for skiing, but that's about it. Trying not to repeat such a scenario.
latest report
rustlerski, Well I've used the valley bus several times during the daytime (not at night), and it always ran in accordance with the timetable. So although I've never used the night bus Bartezki mentions, I've no reason to doubt that it is equally reliable.
snow conditions
I've used the night us a few times. It's fine- has always run on time. The only thing is it's a large minibus, but there has always been plenty of space when I've caught it.
latest report
rustlerski, If you are all skiers then Arabba is the best location for covering the area and has good black runs into the village.
ski holidays
So we've booked Garni Sunela in Selva for the week. We also have Francesco confirmed for at least 3 days, maybe 5 depending on his availability (thanks Snowball!).
There look to be a ton of options on airports and transfer services. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. We will all be flying in from the US and are just starting to deal with those logistics.
Thanks again!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy