Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I get through the dark UK winter like a normal person?

Poster: A snowHead
Staring down the barrel of an entire winter in the UK is starting to scare me...could you all explain how it's done please? I've recently sold my soul back to the devil and decided to go mainstream (and get one of those job things, that other people have), having done three ski seasons and the recent dip in weather conditions is making me wobble.

Have decided am going to need a daily injection of ski excitement whilst at work - can anyone suggest good blogs, ski websites, magazines and general sources of chit chat to keep me going?

Lorra love

Belle Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to break it to you Belle - you are no longer a "normal person" wink . I give it a month before the "I quit my job, can anyone recommend a town near an alpine ski resort where I can make a modest living and ski every weekend" post snowHead. Go on, you know you want to Twisted Evil!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "Belle de Neige"? Still miss your blog. Keep us entertained with "best of" stories of your punters and seasonnaires and locals and we'll love you forever.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Belle de Neige wrote:

- can anyone suggest good blogs, ski websites, magazines and general sources of chit chat to keep me going?

This one is quite good
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Live within an hour of a Ski Area, a couple of hours to other areas and ski at every opportunity! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can find 'proper' (English-speaking) jobs in the Alps too. Check here for starters: http://www.medel.com/jobs-overview/

If you really have to go back to the UK, live in Scotland so you can still ski, or find another sports which is best in the UK winter (kayaking, ice climbing, gotta be more).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have no idea, never had a job in the UK as it sounds horrible, I'm trying to blog a bit more these days, so if you are very bored check out jameswinfield.tumblr.com

Other than that, powdermag.com always has great articles, newschoolers.com (jibrats) and epicski.com (punters) are more US centric but occasionally have something interesting going on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Move to Scotland or get involved in one of the Pennine or lake district clubs Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belle de Neige, they are all miserable. Get out now, while you still can.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only way to survive the British winter for me is to get my turbo out and sit in the shed and cycle the nights whilst listening to music. And cling on to the forthcoming ski trip.

Not sure I'd be able to cope after having done ski seasons and coming back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
You can find 'proper' (English-speaking) jobs in the Alps too. Check here for starters: http://www.medel.com/jobs-overview/
Sadly they all invariably require a second language, and whilst I'm competent at conversational French, the only way I'd become fluent would be to move there, and I can't move there without a job..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Belle de Neige wrote:
Have decided am going to need a daily injection of ski excitement whilst at work - can anyone suggest good blogs, ski websites, magazines and general sources of chit chat to keep me going?
Never be more than a couple of weeks away from your next ski trip. Magazines and websites just don't cut it.

Out of interest, why the decision to go mainstream?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Move to Scotland or another country with decent skiing. No reason to get a sensible job away from mountains when you can get one near them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This one is quite good

This one is slightly better Wink snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

get my turbo out and sit in the shed and cycle the nights

get out and ride! if ya can't be on skis, then riding a MTB in the snow is the 2nd best thing.
snow report
Wakeboard... Def a good filler when not in the Mountains...

rob@rar, Nice pad btw Smile Can I ask how you got your RSS feed for Les Arcs... Nice touch Smile
latest report
Just thinking about about the next powder day keeps my spirits up, but its tough, had a great morning cruising by myself last season before any one else was up, so put a little video together to help me get through the next couple of months, the music was the same as I was listening to, just a chill really Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/jUt4oN3JBOk
snow report
AlpineAddict wrote:
rob@rar, Nice pad btw Smile Can I ask how you got your RSS feed for Les Arcs... Nice touch Smile

Thanks. I built the website using Apple's iWeb (sadly now abandoned) and it has a plug-in for the RSS feed. I don't know much about how it works, other than it has a blog function with associated RSS I really must make more of it!
latest report
macgyver wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Sadly they all invariably require a second language, and whilst I'm competent at conversational French, the only way I'd become fluent would be to move there, and I can't move there without a job..

Not the ones I linked to - some German is obviously an advantage, but the company language is English, and it's possible to work (only) in English there even at the lowest possible rung assembling stuff in the factory.

In fact there are quite a few opportunities to work in English around here, particularly for engineers of various breeds. Swarovski often have fairly high level officey/account management/sales-type jobs too. IT people could also take a look at Barracuda Networks.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 12-09-13 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
All of the jobs I looked at said required good German skills NehNeh. I work in IT though.
latest report
livetoski, Nice video mate... I love La Tania,a s is my first choice when visiting the 3V. After all teh pains I have had recently on my renovation project, this has reignited my enthusiasm for the coming winter

rob@rar, Thx for this... I must look into something like this... Smile
snow report
macgyver, well just from the IT section there are two that don't mention German and one that only needs you 'to be able to communicate' in German. In fact only one actually actually asks for very good German! None of the marketing jobs require German (though one does require a native English speaker!), and of the fifteen Research/Development/Engineering positions, twelve don't even mention German, two state that some knowledge would be an advantage, and only one actually requires German!

So you can't have looked very hard!
ski holidays
Would it be any less dark in those towns where the real jobs are? I had forgotten about dark winters after living up a mountain for years but it's not so great down in the valleys.
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger, depends which town you mean I guess. You could be at 5 different ski areas within 30 mins of leaving the office of the company I mentioned above, for instance; the nearest is 10 mins on the bus. The valley's quite wide at this point so no problems with light even in mid-winter, even less so in the suburbs up above the city. It would be pretty hard to design a better place to live (year-round/full time), in terms of a mixture of sport/social/economic opportunities.

I can't speak for Geneva/Cluses(?)/Annecy/Landeck/Munich/etc though. Would Chamonix and Bourg fall into the category of real town/city with 'real' jobs?
ski holidays
clarky999, Thanks for the link, been thinking about trying to do something like this all summer.
snow report
Belle de Neige wrote:
Staring down the barrel of an entire winter in the UK
Really? An entire winter? Surely you can manage at least one ski trip (and perhaps some week-ends in Scotland - travelling up Friday night and returning Sunday evening)? You need Something to look forward to, even if it is a while away.

PS This was a long weekend I did in mid April (!!) though I went up on Thursday evening so had potentially 3 days to ski. That was unusual but it is possible often from early November.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-09-13 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
clarky999, the technical editing job looks interesting! They are basically looking for a native English speaker with some German skills, more spoken I would hazard rather than written! I might just send off my CV and see what happens. I'm happy where I am (apart from the commute) but a positive response may help persuade my current company that I'm worth more! Laughing
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, go for it! It's one of a few companies I'm keeping an eye on for the future too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belle de Neige,

When you can see that quite some snow has fallen in the alps, and a high pressure is on it's way, then you find a last minutes offer and go. Toofy Grin

Preferably more several times each winter.
snow conditions
Belle de Neige, they are riding bikes in the garage, watching movies, slavering over pictures of snow, living from one ski trip to the next and telling themselves they 'can't' do what they'd really like to do. GET OUT NOW!!
ski holidays
AlpineAddict,
Quote:

livetoski, Nice video mate... I love La Tania

Thanks it was a fun morning Very Happy
ski holidays
Im having enough trouble waiting for november to come, let a lone a whole winter
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Belle de Neige, they are riding bikes in the garage, watching movies, slavering over pictures of snow, living from one ski trip to the next and telling themselves they 'can't' do what they'd really like to do. GET OUT NOW!!

Whereas those who are alpine residents are regular founts of unmitigated joy and endless stoke wink
latest report
livetoski wrote:
AlpineAddict,
Quote:

livetoski, Nice video mate... I love La Tania

Thanks it was a fun morning Very Happy

Amen, great video, and ridiculously quiet for a bluebird powder day Puzzled

Loved the music, nice to watch a video where the soundtrack doesnt make your ears bleed Laughing
ski holidays
Count down the days until you go skiing. 141 for me.
snow conditions
86 for me
edit: and either 121 or 128
and 142

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-09-13 13:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
livetoski, nice, a very relaxing watch.

To the OP.....the Lake Geneva area has plenty of opportunities to live close to the mountains and live a normal (well, expat) life the rest of the time.
ski holidays
Quote:

Staring down the barrel of an entire winter in the UK is starting to scare me...could you all explain how it's done please?

Booze - lots of it
ski holidays
yep, lots of booze haha Toofy Grin
ski holidays
queen bodecia, approx 65 in theory
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy