Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyre reviews

Poster: A snowHead
Markymark29, I put some tyres on here and had no interest, but they weren't winter ones, and they eventually sold on ebay.

Just trying to sort out our replacements now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had General Grabber AT (not AT2) tyres on my Disco 300 TDi for the last 18 months or so, they seem to be a very good compromise for day-to-day road use, occasional green laning (rock-crawling rather than deep mud) and winter trips to the Alps.

They're fairly quiet on the road compared to BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/As, didn't notice them at all the drive down to Austria last January. No complaints in the snow either - they have sips so don't clog up, we didn't need to fit chains even in comparatively heavy snow at Stubai. They're snowflake-marked, so comply with European winter tyre laws.

Price is about £115 per corner fitted. I'd recommend them.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently have Continental Winter Contacts on our X-trail. Have found a couple of Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres at a good price, but speed and load index are a little higher. Does this make a difference.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just bought a new car. Grand Scenic with 6.5 x 16 wheels.

Was thinking of going the full winters with steel wheels, rather than all seasons. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap set of steel wheels for a scenic?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mytyres co uk do steel wheels + winter tyres package. delivered to door. from experience, my tip is to get them balanced after you have fitted them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone wanting those Tesco Clubcard points for Eurotunnel crossings should check out blackcircles.com as they are offering triple Clubcard points on certain brands
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
emwmarine, tyremen.co.uk were teh best price I found for steel wheels and tyre package
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+ 1 for Phill Carlin at http://www.tyremen.co.uk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/_BWyGJu84AM
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My niece has just changed her car. Although they're both Ford S-Max the new one has bigger wheels and the 2 winter tyres she bought last year won't fit the new one. They're Nexan Wingaurd sport 225/50/17 98w ExtraLoads with 7.5-8mm of tread. Not the best brand but then she doesn't want a lot for them if anybody is interested.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our replacement tyres go on this afternoon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More thanks to Phill for doing me a good deal on the winter tyres for my new car.

How about a formal snowheads discount Phill???

Edited to say : being a bit cheeky as he was cheaper than anyone else anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tyremen, collected my 4 Audi A1 winter wheels and tyres yesterday Phill for Mrs Markymark29's new steed, am very pleased and want to say what brilliant service. Your place is the best tyre company I've used by far.....really like your facility and all staff we met so professional and customer focused! Thanks - I will be back!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deleted - wrong thread!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Need to get myself some winter tyres for a trip to St Anton in January. Can't decide whether I should just get some tyres and have them put on before and off when we get back or whether having a set of Steel rims is a better bet?

Would appreciate a quote for both though, Volvo V50 205 50 R17 93W is what I have on at the moment. Looking to keep the cost as low as possible

Thanks

K
ski holidays
Got mine from 'my tyres', paid in the region of about 40 a tyre, plus 12 quid fitting at the local garage. IMHO the cheaper ones perfom just as well as the more expensive brand names ones, you really do pay for the name. I got ones made in Korea. Done three winter trips (2 x to Austria, 1 x to Germany) on them, and they have handled some very extreme weather with ease. I didn't get seperate rims, I just flip as an when needed. I put these ones on at the beginning of November, and will probably take them off at the end of March. V70 Volvo. 195/65/15

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-12-13 11:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
hi I've got a quick question do you know if anyone makes winter tyres in 275 /19/30 and 255/19/35

thanks
snow report
skimac, What make were your tyres? Just did a quick check and looks like I am looking at around £250 for a set of 4
snow report
try putting a search in for V rated tyres..I don't think you will be going over 149mph...£51 n skimac must have smaller wheels...I ahve used the asian snow tyres and had no problems

http://tinyurl.com/ngdmsb3
latest report
Just had a look at my tyres. Prices pretty good. Then noticed they have a French site - prices even better. They deliver to the garage in the village and I save £50! Sounds perfect as my tyres have a few more miles left in them so I can drive down and then come home with new ones!
snow report
skimac, cheaper tyres tend to do significantly worse in the AT/DE/CH tests.

Given the difference in performance in soft and wet snow between our current and our last types (I assumed(!) there'd be little difference) I'll never buy again without thoroughly researching...
snow conditions
http://www.tyretest.com/ Puzzled
ski holidays
Can't remember exactly the brand, they were Korean and working on the principal that the Koreans have some pretty awful winters.....my research was done in a 35cm afternoon dump in Flachau two years ago, no complaints at all, and got out of an unploughed hotel car park the next morning with relative ease - despite an Austrain gentleman telling me that I hadn't got a hope. Mind you, V70's have a transverse mounted front wheel drive 2.4L which does help. I don't drive fast either, so I don't pay for tyres that are rated to some speed that I will never go at.
ski holidays
The EVO guys have done their scientific tests:

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/290698/best_winter_tyres.html
latest report
skimac, i notice a huge difference going around urban roundabouts. At normal town covered in snow speeds. Also on the motorway.

I'm not playing ice racing...
ski holidays
Well, as long as we are both happy with our tyres that's the main thing. Very Happy
latest report
Am in resort on General Grabber AT2s on the Defender. Warm conditions mean that roads are fine, but car parks (notably at Ardent) are sheet ice. And these tyres really are very good. They will slide a bit if provoked (I couldn't resist a couple of small drifts when no-one else was around Embarassed ), but in sensible and even slightly ham-fisted driving, they have been great both ascending and descending. Yet to try them on a really steep, icy road descent, but their low speed hardpack/ice performance is really very impressive. I am able to happily take the icy exit road down (which is a long incline) when other cars have been having to exit through the car park entrance.

Good on the road too - better manners than the BFG Mud Terrain KM2s I had on the car before; less noisy, better wet weather performance. Pretty pleasant at 70mph on French autoroutes on the way down here.
snow conditions
Harry Flashman, you may find that other cars are taking the entrance as exit because that's how it's been for the last 25 years? I left via the entrance last visit, becasue that's what you always do and was most surprised to see cars leaving through the new exit. Makes a lot of sense though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelin Alpin A, ABS and a Subaru AWD...recipe for disaster!

The combo meant that I stopped on black ice, both cars behind me (on winter tyres) used my car as an aide to stop theirs!

My car is now a write off.....
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Harry Flashman, you may find that other cars are taking the entrance as exit because that's how it's been for the last 25 years? I left via the entrance last visit, becasue that's what you always do and was most surprised to see cars leaving through the new exit. Makes a lot of sense though.

Hahahaha!

I am an idiot. Official.

Still going to take the old route as I sort of enjoying crunching over the ice...
latest report
rungsp, That's the big disadvantage Sad
latest report
Quick question for Tyremen:

We're going to Austria in a few weeks. Car is a Nissan Pathfinder - a full size 4x4 so most available tyres have M+S markings. Current tyres are Conti Cross Contacts but are down to 4mm so a bit marginal for europe in the snow. Do I buy Vredestein winter tyres and leave them on all year or buy some Pirelli Scorpion ATRs which I can get locally and will only be M+S marked? I want to be safe in the alps. Took my defender there a couple of years ago with Goodrich Mud Terrains on (also M+S marked) and it was lethal. Used chains the whole time (it didn't really stop snowing the whole week though).

What's the downside of running winter tyres all year?

Size for the pathfinder is 255/60 R18 112V (H will be OK)

thanks in advance.
ski holidays
skimac wrote:
Got mine from 'my tyres', paid in the region of about 40 a tyre, plus 12 quid fitting at the local garage. IMHO the cheaper ones perfom just as well as the more expensive brand names ones, you really do pay for the name. I got ones made in Korea. Done three winter trips (2 x to Austria, 1 x to Germany) on them, and they have handled some very extreme weather with ease. I didn't get seperate rims, I just flip as an when needed. I put these ones on at the beginning of November, and will probably take them off at the end of March. V70 Volvo. 195/65/15

If your Korean tyres are Hankook or Kumho then they are good brands, far ahead of the cheapest budget tyres. Maybe they're not quite a match for the top premium brands in some cases but the margin is likely to be relatively small. I use Hankook winter tyres on a automatic RWD car for the same months, been happy so far.
latest report
skimac wrote:

If your Korean tyres are Hankook or Kumho then they are good brands, far ahead of the cheapest budget tyres. Maybe they're not quite a match for the top premium brands in some cases but the margin is likely to be relatively small. I use Hankook winter tyres on a automatic RWD car for the same months, been happy so far.
latest report
Dirty Gibson, I'm running Pirelli Scorpion winters (on a Suzuki Grand Vitara) since late autumn and they have been fine so far. Oddly quieter than the factory fit all season Bridgestones that came off. However even after a deal up they were still a fortune, (though not massively more than the all seasons Scorpions - 225/65/17 is rarely used size supposedly?). They had just changed pattern as I bought, so make sure you get the current ones (look on the Pirelli website).

While I'm posting, my Astra is running on 16" Pirelli Sottozero's and there excellent, though at 5mm now they are loosing the edge (compared to new) so are probally for the bin for me come spring. Had 3 years out of them though across two cars mind.
latest report
andrew e, why not just run them down as summer tyres for a while?
snow report
This time I will probally do just that Smile
latest report
Been running our Volvo V50 on Conti Winter Contacts for the last couple of winters and they are superb in snow and cold wet winter weather. They always seem to top industry tests and I've yet to be let down by them. Tried one winter with this car on Bridgestone summer tyres and it was a disaster in the snow. Struggled to even get out of the drive and our country backroads were a non-starter. The Conti winters take it all in their stride.
Our Porsche 911 (4WD) is currently on Nokian WR winter tyres and they are also superb in the wet and cold, although not yet tested them in the snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy