Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier dies in Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Skier dies in fall on Banff slopes, the 32 year old from Ontario died after he struck his head on a rock. Initial indications are that no one else was involved in the accident, which occurred on piste...
Full story in the Calgary Herald here

He wasn't wearing a helmet. Please, if you're going to the slopes this year, get a lid!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been serioulsy considering buying a helmet. My daughter hit her head on a pillar after falling off of a bumpy button lift - she was seeing stars for quite a while afterwards. It was only a red run, but this highlights just how easily you could be seriously injured.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, they are well worth it. In many resorts it is compulsory for kids to wear them in lessons, and I think it's a good idea for the kids to follow their parents example, so, get a lid yourself, and it will be easier to explain it to your daughter!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, you're right it was made compulsory in Italy last year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David@traxvax, most North American resorts insist on them for kids in lessons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got one and it has saved me from a lot of pain on many occassion. As well as the odd fall on the slopes, this year I fell off the chairlift and got clouted by the chair as it went over me - I really think I'd have been off to hospital if it wasn't for the helmet.

As noted, it also means the kids are happy to wear theres.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive got one, my younger brother has one, happy to wear it. I'll be wearing mine all season, no point risking it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't want a lid. I want a fox hat, with full impact protection and internal speakers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I don't want a lid. I want a fox hat, with full impact protection and internal speakers.

Well, you just need a taxidermist, and a fox hunter...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Foxhunter, long gone. Was it the Rome Olympics. Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sad to hear of a skiers death.

2-3 seasons ago after seeing the effects of someones excursion into the trees, bad head injury, all out party decided a lid was a good idea.

Over that time its been noticeable that more and more people are wearing lids. Strangely some people will wear a lid for cycling and not skiing!

Glad to see its becoming compulsory for kids at least. Parents need to lead by example though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a bad fall last season and got concusion.....went out and got a helmet that night, really good investment. Only problem, I look like tweeky out of buck rogers.....beedy beedy!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Had a bad fall last season and got concusion.....went out and got a helmet that night, really good investment. Only problem, I look like tweeky out of buck rogers.....beedy beedy!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kevin Robertson, Quality quote made me chuckle lots.

Sorry to giggle on such a thread. Obviously very sad to hear of any death.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth,

Quote:

Foxhunter, long gone. Was it the Rome Olympics

Helsinki.

For shame Cymru, the horse was ridden by Harry Llewellyn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems like helmets are like house alarms. People don't get one till something has happened.
snow report
... such as their head being stolen.

They certainly don't make as much noise as house alarms, which is good.
snow report
I've just bought helmets for my 9 year old and myself. I feel hypocritical making her wear one and not me. I do the same when cycling. Coincidentally we're off to Banff after Christmas.
snow report
I'm buying one for next season. I wore one on motorbikes and for canoeing, wear one for climbing and mountain biking now so it would be just my luck not to wear one and bang my head whilst out on the slopes.
snow report
Some of the designs/colours are really loud!

OK folk arn't getting their heads stolen but perhaps their brains have been nicked judging by the way they ski.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 16-11-05 10:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
So he/she is one of the first reported deaths this season.

Maybe it is the first but it wont be the last .

It happens every season.

If folks want to buy/where a helmut fine but please dont force the issue on us all.

A word of warning about Ski Helmuts. Im not sure if theres any safety standard for the manufacturing of these helmuts ie; like Motorcycle helmuts ?

From what I have seen of skiers/boarders who have them and treat them like footballs ie; crunch heads, drop them etc . They are pretty much rendered useless Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stanton, I believe the standard one wants is CSIA approved (whatever that is). That's what's required for the Inferno anyway.

Good point re treatment of the things!
latest report
Helmets are not just for off-piste extremists. I'm not a speedy, only an intermediate, but last season I bought a Giro 9.9.

I was finishing a really good private lesson in Zermatt, my instructor and I were near the end of the run. As I made my final turn (it was a bit cut up and icy) I slipped downwards, fell flat on my face and both my skis came back over and smacked me hard on the head. I thought my head would explode. Apart from seeing stars, feeling sick as a dog and having a bump the size of a grapefruit, I was fine. But it scared me to think how easy it is. You don't have to be going fast on a black slope surrounded by trees, just finishing a turn on a red run that you have skied several times before.

Broken legs and arms are put in plaster, skulls are not. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
My ski boots just fell out my cupboard and nearly brained me (they're in a bag). You don't even need to be anywhere near snow to need a helmet to prevent ski related injury!
snow report
But that's because you're so short David. I tend to have to bend to access cupboards. NehNeh
snow report
Are ski helmets like bike helmets - in that if you have a serious collision you are supposed to replace it?

If so, do the manufacturers have operations similar to bike ones, int hat they will offer you up to 40% discount on buying the same helmet again if you have to replace it due to crashing?

If none of these points apply... why on earth not!? I don't have a helmet at the moment, but getting into off-piste and park skiing means i'm considering it, want some more info. first though!
ski holidays
I bought a helmet yesterday and the blub that came with it ceratinly explains that you should get the helmet checked out / replaced if you have banged it, as by its very design it is intended to absord the impact by degrading, even though you may not be able to see this visually. You also need to be careful about putting stickers and such on the helmet as this can cause it to degrade also.
snow conditions
Just another thought.

Think perhaps there should be Ski Helmets for that matter Ruksaks should be left outside Mountain Bars with together with Skis

Pissed off with all this debris cloggin up seats & tables when someone could be using the seat to have a well earned drink Very Happy

While im on the subject. I think lift companys should force people to remove Ruksaks and hold them above there heads in Cablecars or charge them for wasting space Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton, and as for rucsacs in the underground!! I carry one, it's not on my back in the tube though. Idiots!!

They're usually tourists. Bah humbug!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth, Laughing Laughing Laughing cheeky blighter!
latest report
Boris wrote:
I've got one and it has saved me from a lot of pain on many occassion. As well as the odd fall on the slopes, this year I fell off the chairlift and got clouted by the chair as it went over me - I really think I'd have been off to hospital if it wasn't for the helmet.

I had a similar expierence. I got a smack on the head from a chair lift. I wasn't knocked out but very sore. Took off my hat and my head was pumping blood. Had to get 10 stitches across the top of my head. My helmet was in the boot of the car !! That was the last day I have snowboarded without one. That was cheap lesson for me. Now days I try and learn from other people mistakes Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
I think lift companys should force people to remove Ruksaks and hold them above there heads in Cablecars or charge them for wasting space
As a rucksacked helmet wearer I entirely agree, but you don't go nearly far enough. Anyone with a waste or chest measurement over 36 inches should pay a premium on their lift pass - I would suggest 10% extra for every inch above 36 up to 40 inches, and then 20% extra for every inch above that.
ski holidays
Jonpim,
Quote:

Anyone with a waste or chest measurement over 36 inches should pay a premium on their lift pass -

I suggest letting the big fat un's pay the usual rate and the small skinny un's get a discount Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone with a waste or chest measurement over 36 inches should pay a premium on their lift pass - I would suggest 10% extra for every inch above 36 up to 40 inches, and then 20% extra for every inch above that.

Jordan wont be taking up skiing then Laughing
ski holidays
But short people could be stacked one on top of the other in cable cars (not mentioning any names, Lindsay), so they could go half price.
latest report
So how much for a decent helmet? Puzzled
ski holidays
Snowmuncher, £60 upwards.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy