Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Les Arcs village should I take two beginners to?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
I've booked my Eurostar tickets! I'm going to be in the French Alps from 18th Jan with my husband, plus two friends who we've persuaded to come with us.
They're pretty fit, and they're doing a course at Hemel this autumn, but this will be their first ski trip.
I've been to Les Arcs a few years ago and think this is a good choice, since it's so easy to get there from the train.
1600 is too quiet, and for some reason I just can't put my finger on, I didn't like 1950. I don't really know why. So I've been looking at nice self catering apartments in either 1800 or 2000. Shops, bars, etc are fine in either, from what I remember.
Is there much to choose between for the beginners? It looks to me like 2000 is better for 'walk straight out of the boot room into the ski school meeting point'. Whereas it can be a long walk from some places in 1800 if you can't already ski. But perhaps others can give a more specific view?
I'm thinking Evo2 for their lessons. Various Snowheads recommend Spirit, but it looks like they're part of the same company now, so I don't know if there's much reason to go down to 1950 if we do stay in 2000. For 1800 I'm less sure of who comes recommended.
Alternatively, if you think there's a better resort, accessible from BSM, Moutiers, etc, then a bus transfer is no real issue.
Thanks for your help!
Mairead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere is an easy bus run up from Bourg station and we all (beginner, through middle aged fair weather skier, to mad cap 20`s experienced skiers) enjoyed our weeks visit there last Xmas. Depends what you want from a ski holiday really. Paradiski (Les Arcs, plus La Plagne etc) is a far larger ski area than Val D`Aosta (La Rosiere linked to La Thuile) but VDA is more than adequate for a weeks skiing. We have booked Arc 2000 this year and though the family tell me we skied a little there once many years ago I don`t remember it, Maybe that says it all?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Corrected version

La Rosiere is an easy bus run up from Bourg station and we all (beginner, through middle aged fair weather skier, to mad cap 20`s experienced skiers) enjoyed our weeks visit there last Xmas. Depends what you want from a ski holiday really. Paradiski (Les Arcs, plus La Plagne etc) is a far larger ski area than Espace San Bernando(La Rosiere linked to La Thuile) but is more than adequate for a weeks skiing. We have booked Arc 2000 this year and though the family tell me we skied a little there once many years ago I don`t remember it, Maybe that says it all?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-09-13 19:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From my limited experience, any of the LA villages would be good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Val D`Aosta (La Rosiere linked to La Thuile)

Isn't it the Espace Bernardino?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, You are quite correct! Momentary blonde moment there!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1800 has lots of easy cruising runs and if they want to venture further afield you can easily get over inot the 2000 bowl
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maireadoconnor, you are correct that Evo2 and Spirit are all part of the same group now. In terms of slope access, it's all much of a muchness (apart from the already dismissed 1950, which is perfect NehNeh ) and both 1800 and 2000 have a reputedly good apres if that's your bag. (I say reputedly, because I've never tried 1800 and when I've done 2000 I can't usually remember the trivial details...like getting home).

As Boris, once your friends get a little confident, getting anywhere in the domain on blues is straightforward

I've just re-read all this and realised it 's not much help in decision making! Let's just say. Les Arcs - got it all: no matter where you choose, you'll be fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all - that's all the reassurance I needed! I've seen a good price on an apartment in 2000 so I'll probably go with that.

I reckon they'll probably pick it up quite quickly - they're both serious cyclists and do loads of other sports too. So by the end of the week I imagine they'll be getting around a bit. It's just that first day or so of "oh my god what the hell am I doing here?" stress that I'm trying to minimise!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arc 2000 is probably best for beginners; as Maireadoconnor's, says it can be a bit of a hike in 1800 and in reality 1600 is probably a bit steep for the first time.

From the train it is simply up the funicular for 1600 whereas 1800 and especially 2000 require a bus (free navette) to get to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maireadoconnor, you won't go wrong with Arc 2000. Don't forget the Vallandry/Plan Peisey end though - there are two beginners areas at the top of the chairlifts and if your friends progress as well as you anticipate they'll be on the red runs down through the trees by the end of the week - very rewarding.
The British-run New Gen ski school operates from Vallandry - http://www.skinewgen.com/resorts/vallandry/.
A return cab to and from Bourg was about €100 with tip in the 2011/12 season (not planned - wife tore calf muscle Sad ) - there are buses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val d'Isere, Tignes and Ste Foy are all also accessible by short bus ride from Bourg St Maurice but Les Arcs is a good choice too.
Personally I prefer to take Eurostar to Paris and a French sleeper train with couchettes overnight to the Alps and back. That way you get 8 days skiing for 7 nights in a Hotel, and sleep going to and from. (But that's for another year)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say 1800, only been there once but it's simple go get around, village is lively, easy to get to all other parts of the mountain and just as importantly just as easy to get back from any other parts of the mountain. Long cruisey blues(if that's what you want). We really enjoyed it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arc 2000 is perfect for beginners. I went there last season having only a week skiing experience (was more or less comfortable on blues). Lots of very easy blues, some of them should probably have been green. Then there are some steep-ish blues and easy reds... Very good place to progress! I had a very good instructor from Spirit/Evo with whom I ended up skiing down the Aiguille Rouge on 3rd lesson without any troubles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, there are indeed other great resorts accessible from Bourg - that's why my husband and I are staying an extra week, after the beginners have gone home! Very Happy I'm going to decide between probably those three, but choose closer to the time. Which one to choose, is another question altogether! I'd prefer overnight trains too, if it were my choice, but OH says no.

oleksii, you should be very proud to have done the Aguille Rouge so soon - it's not easy! Do you remember the name of your instructor, cos they sound great!

If there's an equal split of recommendations for 1800 and 2000 I'll choose 2000 as I saw an apartment I liked the look of.
latest report
I've stayed at 2000 and visited friends in 1800 at the same time, Id rather have stayed in 1800 as beer was about 3 Euro cheaper and the village seemed bigger with much more to do.

2000 was great skiing wise but the village seemed a little dead or rather just small and you seem to pay a premium for everything as its been taken an extra 200 meters up the mountain.
latest report
Maireadoconnor, His name is Serge. I booked with Spirit but he was actually Evo instructor if I remember right. I'm not sure!
latest report
Maireadoconnor, Do you have to go to Les Arcs? The lift pass and mountain food are all quite expensive and beginners won't go very far to get the most from it. I too would suggest La Rosiere.
If it's Arc 1800 you decide on, pick accommodation carefully. Chantel is livelier than Villards, and Charmettoger is quiet.
In Arc 2000, you are very exposed to the elements and in January it could be quite cold, but it's quiet user friendly in terms of being ski in/out as you say.
The lower villages of Villandry and Peisey are a bit more "traditional " and quiet. They have the advantage of being in the trees and near to the link to Plagne, but it is unlikely that beginners would get that far.
ski holidays
Quote:

2000 was great skiing wise but the village seemed a little dead or rather just small and you seem to pay a premium for everything as its been taken an extra 200 meters up the mountain.

Bizarrely Arc 1600 is approximately at 1630m (cachette lift), Arc 1800 is at 1730 (vagere lift the transarc and most of the resort is below this)and Arc 2000 is at 2130 (Varet lift) Arc 2000 is named after the millennium not the altitude. So you are in fact 400 m higher in 2000.

Prices in 1600 are lower to some extend because of the funicular to Bourg. If the shop charged more everyone would just nip down to the shops in Bourg, well they do anyway.
ski holidays
peisey/Vallandry is ideal for beginners - both villages have lifts to the sunny bowl above vallandry which is wide and ideal for beginners. From here you can either download on lift or take La Foret back, although marked as blue it is so flat you can hardly move!
ski holidays
snowyowl, no, it doesn't have to be Les Arcs, but it's my holiday too and I've had my eye on those blacks coming down from the Varet lift! I could be wrong - I've never been to the place - but I don't think La Ros is going to have as much to interest me. Unless the price difference is enormous I'd prefer Les Arcs.

Boris, I loved the skiing over at the Peisey side and if I wasn't coming up on the train that's what I'd choose. But it doesn't seem worth the bus transfer when it's so easy getting the funicular up.

oleksii, thanks, I shall see if I can ask for Serge.
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor, I'd say definitely go to Les Arcs if you're set on it. I'm a little biased as I did a season there (and absolutely loved it), and I've also been to La Ros and, personally, think LA is by far the better resort. I'd also previously been to Les Arcs on holiday where two of our group were total beginners that week, and they found the various blues available to them absolutely perfect for learning.

I'd probably suggest that 2000 might be slightly better than 1800 for total beginners. The 2000 bowl has two or three decent length blues that don't have too much steepness to them, so the beginners can definitely feel that they're seeing plenty of the mountain. But in any case, its such a well linked resort that all villages are so easily accessible in any case.
snow report
Maireadoconnor, Yes if you are a fit and adventurous skier you would do better at Les Arcs. (Those blacks off the shoulder aren't always open...need enough snow! If you like near vertical and unpisted...) At La Ros the skiing is easier but you can go to La Thuile and lunch in Italy is better.
Access to 2000 is via funicular to 1600 and then the shuttle bus, or the Autocars Martin bus from Bourg. For beginners the chairlifts at 1800 are free but they are rebuilding this year so I'm not sure if they will be the same - I read that a new bubble lift is going in which is unlikely to be free.
Sad
http://hiver.lesarcs.com/les-arcs-peisey-vallandry this gives an idea of last years' prices.
snow report
snowyowl wrote:
For beginners the chairlifts at 1800 are free but they are rebuilding this year
Not this year. Construction summer 2014, at the earliest.
ski holidays
1800 definitely.
The 2000 bowl, IMHO, is a bleak place.
If the weather is rubbish you have the beautiful tree lined runs around peisey to go to if you stay in 1800 which I think would be essential for beginners.
snow report
Bleak... Or magnificent.

It all depends on your point of view of mountain storms (and the comfort of your viewing point!)
snow report
I don't know about your own skiing standard but the 2000 valley also has the quickest access to most of the tougher skiing.

Corduroy is right about the Peisey pistes in bad weather, though.
ski holidays
Skied in Les Arcs for 20+ years. We have chalet near the 2nd funiculaire stop and I once stayed in 2000 on a uni trip. All the villages are pretty similar 1800 is best for getting round the whole mountain and is the biggest so has most choice. 2000 is above the treeline, brutalist architecture, but very practical and ski in ski out mostly. You have to work a bit harder for this in 1800. 1600 is the quietest, most family oriented but a nice enough place.

The apres ski is mixed, some good options on the slopes. The resorts have the odd nice spot in them (*scratches head, applies thinking cap, forgets names*).

For beginners Peisey-Vallandry is good, with tree lined runs and lots of chalets. Only downside is lots of the La Plagne traffic now comes this way on the cable car and stays in that area. It used to be the hidden gem on the mountain. Not so much anymore!

Hope this helps.

JimF
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy