Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accomodation in Seefeld, Austria - any recommendations please?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a hotel please. Wish list as follows: Central location, interconnecting room/apartment with access to hotel facilities, pool, quietish tho tricky if in central location I know. Musher has suggested the Kalshmid which does look nice, although always good to have a choice.

Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bambionskiis,

Phone the Kaltschmid and ask - they have about 4 hotels in Seefeld, and if they can't accommodate you then I'm sure the girls on reception will recommend someone who can. The Klosgterbrau is very nice as well, but I think that might be a bit more expensive. I think the hotel Veronika has connecting rooms - we looked at most hotels before we first went there, but after experiencing the Kaltschmid we didn't need to look any further.

Last summer we went to the Krinserhof (last minute bargain) and had adjacent (not connecting) rooms. That worked very well (the staff are more than excellent). It's up by the bottom of the Rosshutte and we would certainly stay there again as well.

One thing I will say is avoid the Hotel Alpina wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Musher. So glad you posted as Alpina was my second choice after joint firsts of Kaltschmid and Alpenhotel. Out of Kaltschmid, Klosgterbrau (may be a bit "stuffy" for a family and perhaps a bit more orientated towards couples who enjoy luxury?) and Alpenhotel, which would you say is the most convenient for the nursery/more gentle slopes? Is any of them in a quieter location than the others? I was going to book through a ski travel company as hubbie likes the whole package set up, but I will make contact with them if I have any questions as they sound pretty approachable. The push for the Kalschmidt being a singles hotel with fun in the discos is bothering me I must admit. I've been stuck above a nightclub before - not great when you're tired Sad . Very interested in your thoughts. Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What do you mean by nursery slopes? Your kids aren't nippers, but they are only 2nd week skiers ? The real nursery slope is the Geigenbühel/Birkenlift (very young kids) which is fairly easily accesable from any central hotel - only a few hundred meters from the Kaltschmid. The Veronika is also well placed for Geigenbühel. Your kids aren't that young, and have a week's skiing already, so will probably be on either the Roshutte or the Gschwandtkopf. None of them are far from the town center, and they are all very walkable. The Roshutte is upill, and mos peoplt catch a buss from the town center. The bus station is closer to the 2 hotels that the Geigenbühel/Birkenlift areas are.

The Kaltschmid is a huge hotel with many different sections. There is an "English pub" in one bit with rowdy apres, but also another section over the main reception that is ideal for families. Make sure you let them know which bit you want to be in. It certainly isn't a singles hotel. Very much a family/couples place for most of the accommodation, but there is a lively bit if that floats your boat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great thanks. Hadn't realised the Kaltschmid was so large so I'm sure we can easily avoid any noise from the pub. I'll give them a ring so they will know what we need. Also sounds like the location is good. Think we have our baby! Cheers again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had four holidays staying at The Alpina but not for several years now. We loved it and the food was amazing....................but do not think we would go again. Don't know whats happened but reviews are not good now and it seems a few repairs are in order. I had heard it had changed hands but not certain. We would probably opt for the Kaltschmid or self cater at The Romerweg apartments. There is another really nice one but the name escapes me now which is just by the lake, its looks lovely.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So sad when this happens to a hotel. Once it starts to lose it's reputation, it's very difficult to turn things around, although I hope they do.
Thanks for your help both, they are really useful.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rosemary, Is it possible that you mean the Seespitz hotel? I stayed there a couple of times in summer a few years ago. It was really good. Very nice rooms with large balconies (view of the lake), good food, very nice staff. I read the original post but I didn't know if the hotel qualified because their pool is outside. I have no idea if they keep it open in winter. As for the Alpina hotel, the people I was traveling with were frequent visitors of Seefeld at the time and stayed there a couple of times too but felt it deteriorated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JulieAimeLeSki, Oh thanks for that, yes its the Seespitz hotel. I always wanted to stay there. Its a shame about The Alpina, I remember having my birthday while I was there, I had flowers delivered to our room and a bottle of fizz on ice. Then when we went to dinner that night we were given champagne and a birthday cake.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rosemary,

Apparently it's run by Italians now, the locals are not at all complementary. It's being run down almost like a British pub as if they want to close it and build something else instead. The good news is they were doing outside lights and something in the car park when we were there last, so hopefully things will pick up again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stayed at the Alpina last May. It was an Inghams (I think?) Lakes and Mountains holiday, discounted and booked through Dealcheckers. For the price we paid, it was very good, although I don't know how much it is in the ski season. Isn't it a bit of a trek to the nearest lift, though?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi,

A very short walk to Geigenbühel / Birkenlift for the nursery slopes, or the bus to Rosshútte or Gschwandtkopf. You wouldn't want to walk to either "main" area in ski boots, but if you used a locker it would be OK if you don;t like busses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the subject of the Alpina I just checked tripadvisor and the reviews for this year are very similar to when we went in 2012. A mixture of "great value, we had a fantastic time" and "what a dump, don't bother". I find it amazing that somebody can point out that the rooms are falling apart, the food is awful and still give 4 stars (I gave 3 because I thought it was good VFM given it was so very cheap). Seefeld is a lovely place and as long as you understand the ski area is limited then you will have a good time there.

The plus points are:

Breakfast is OK to good
    It's cheap
    Staff are mainly very good
    The pool is good

The OK bits:

The packed lunches are what you would get pretty much anywhere else
    Afternoon tea & cakes, yes OK, but you expect a lot from a cake in Austria and this doesn't match up
    Dinner was plentiful, if not inspiring
    Free drinks with dinner, but the quality meant only those drinking coke were happy Sad

The bad:

The room we were in was a dump, and talking to other guests it wasn't unique
    Reception is never manned

All in all, it's cheap and cheerful. The food is edible but not great (apart from breakfast which is good). The hotel is clean & tidy, the pool is very good, but the rooms are are a absolute shambles. If you are 2 blokes sharing a room then you would probably laugh it of. As a family with young kids it's not so great (apart from the pool). It's not a hotel you would want to spend any of your spare time in unless you were swimming.

If you want Seefeld on the cheap then personally I would recommend apartments like the Rómerweg, where you can add on evening meals in one of the other Kaldschmid hotels for a very reasonable price. This is what we did after dining in the Alpina for the first 2 nights Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
It's not a hotel you would want to spend any of your spare time in unless you were swimming.

I love swimming and hotels with nice pools are usually expensive. That's why we went to Alpina! It was fine for a walking holiday but I wouldn't go again as the skiing, from what we could see, seemed quite limited.
latest report
maggi,

Yes, skiing is very beginner to intermediate. If you've got 3 weeks under your belt you might get bored quickly, but it's just about perfect for my kids and Mrs M skis up hills Shocked

We all loved the Alpina's pool, but when you are used to the opulent luxury of the other hotels in Seefeld... Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks for all your comments.

However, having decided on the Kalszmid, I went to book it with Snowfinders and they don't have suitable accomodation left - arghhhhh. The Seespitz and Veronika look very nice; any comments anyone? Are either of these any of the Kalszmid hotels referred to? Cheers
snow report
The Seespitz always looks very nice and is in a lovely location (esp, in summer). One chap I got friendly with last year was staying there and sounded impressed. You would also be the first drop off on the coach Smile
snow report
It does look lovely and first drop-off a bonus! Just going back to agent about cost as it's blimmin expensive. We're restricted with it being half term unfortunately. Really not sure cost wise what to do, or whether we're better looking for another resort as Seefeld seems to be working out at £5-£5500.00. Arghhhhh Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy