Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family holiday xmas 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
LittleRob wrote:
Imooney058 it wasn't specifically me, more a frequent observation. Typically when they approach very close behind its obvious to all what's going on (e.g. the car in front is overtaking some other slower moving vehicle).

Don't get me wrong, driving in France doesn't bother me, but your suggesting that we all buy winter tyres for safety is, I think, moot until such time as continental driving standards improve.

(now I really am shutting the hatches on my bunker) wink

that is exactly the point - what you see as low standards in based on your perceptions, while for locals your (not specificaly your) driving may look of a low standard. It is a matter of perception and your starting point of what is good/bad. If I overgeneralise - I like driving in Germany and german drivers. I 'hate' belgian and dutch motorway drivers (jumping to the fast lane just in front of you). 'national' standards do exist, and I understand NL is a small country teritory wise, while there are 16 mil inhabitants, lots of local and transit trafic - hense their driving habbits - maybe most people in the NL expect that somebody could suddenly take the left lane. While in Germany you would not see germans behaving 'NL way' on motorways ...

Standards aside, safety is another matter - here standard is one - either you are OK or in hospital/grave....

It does not bother me having two sets of wheels - my summer tyres last longer, so all in all I only pay for extra set of wheels/rims.

Just realised, we are competly off the topic - appologies for that! Safe driving to and in mountains everyone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes indeed, there is a perfectly good winter tyre thread elsewhere and any number for moaning about French drivers. This one is supposed to be about ideas for a Christmas holiday!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mooney058, As you said English is not your first language, although you are very good at it, so for your info I suspect LittleRob, is doing a little bit of winding you up
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the assistance here, we are taking the easy option... Finishing work on the Friday afternoon and letting someone else do the travel.... We opted in the end to fly on Saturday AM from Birmingham (nearest airport) to Grenoble and get a transfer form there up to La Plagne. We opted for this in the end as the Drive didnt seem to hard but that psychological negative driving home thing was the decider to fly.

In future holidays I think we will drive but with tight timetables this time we will use a package... The early booking of a train makes serious sense to me, I shall bookmark the eurostar site ready for when tickets are released Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul_Bottomley, excellent, something to look forward to. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the subject of the holiday... I am going to try and sort a Xmas meal out for me and the family... the only issue I have and its embarrassing in that I don't speak much French, I try hard, but I normally get a few words out and I am stopped and spoken to in English Embarassed

Anyway what that means is booking a meal and arranging times relies upon the restaurant speaking English and accepting we don't speak French, I don't want to look foolish walking around the resort for hours trying to find a nice place for the Xmas evening, does anyone have recommendations?

I am very excited to be off skiing again snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pop into the tourist office, they will help!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul_Bottomley, Do not worry about booking a meal. I am in the same boat in that I book my New year's eve meal in the same restaurant in Arc 1600 every year and speak almost no French. The staff are very friendly and it always go well. It was also no problem to book the torch light descent fro the Arpette as well.

Christmas eve is a very busy evening. I suggest you get around the resort as soon as you get there and make enquiries.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh I forgot to mention I write down the time we want to eat and take a pencil and paper with me
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy