Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada in mid december???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My question is has anyone had experience of Canada in mid December. looking to go away this year for a week or so and can only get time off in the middle of December, wondered if there is generally good snow? everything open and up and running by then?
I know that weather is never to be relied upon, we fancy going to whistler or Banff really. Any recommendations/ experiences would be great to hear.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick point to remember-Canada much further North than Alps and so it gets dark early in mid-December. Check out the historic snow reports-usually ok in Banff as there is a World Cup race in Lake Louise in late Nov/early Dec and it always seems to be ok for snow!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynnecha wrote:
Quick point to remember-Canada much further North than Alps

Which bit of Canada are you referring to there? Not that much further North.

London = 51.5072° N
Whistler = 50.1208° N
Garmisch = 47.5000° N

Alert, Nanavut maybe... 82.5014° N

That said snow could be good (was last year and the year before), could be bad - even in a good year I don't have my good skis out in December (though might have done right at the end of december...)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynnecha, don't canadian resorts close at 3 or 3.30 even in March? So doesn't really matter that it might get dark a bit earlier than Alps
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Whistler early December last season - conditions were excellent and everything was open by the end of the first week in Dec more or less.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a lot more to weather than latitude. although it is obviously variable and the problem with early season skiing is that if the snow hasn't arrived yet your a bit stuck save for manmade. In an average season, however, most Canadian ski areas should have decent snow by mid December. Last season the Western resorts had some of their best snow of the season from the last week of November through to Christmas. Lake Louise rarely has a problem and it's not blessed with the greatest snow record. You'll have the slopes to yourself. One of the downsides is that much of the challenging off piste terrain that is so attractive over there won't have a sufficient cover to be skiable. As for darkness, it's very much like England and as someone mentions lifts close earlier than in the alps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth,

I very nearly posted that exact same info myself.

I've been to Banff twice at Christmas and the snow was very poor the first time. Delirium Dive was closed and I felt compelled to buy some ex-rental rock hoppers. The second trip was better but not great, but then Christmas is very early in the season so what do you expect.

This was before junior was born so over 10 years ago. Snow making etc. may have improved since. I thought the lifts closed at 4, but my memory is terrible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's normal for areas like Delirium Dive not to be open until way after Christmas. Have you seen it when there's no snow? If you have you'll know why. The same is true of backbowls in most places. They're wild places, not manicured cultivated pistes. Early season is the same the world over. There are places that need very little snow and those that need lots. That said, there's still some great skiing to be found in Canada.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ade57 wrote:
Have you seen it when there's no snow?

Yes, and it looks a lot less scary with snow on it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lifts do close early in Canada (Banff, Sun Peaks etc.), but they also open early - you just have to catch the first lift at 08.30! (I, know, I know, you are supposed to be on holiday!!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to Canada this December come what may. Lake Louise is open already you can see them on the Web Cams at
http://www.skilouise.com/conditions/mountain-cam.php
But it doesn't look a great day to be out there skiing this morning.
Kicking Horse is supposed to open on December 13th

Out of interest Lift passes are pretty expensive in Canada but you can get a much better deal if you buy your tickets in Cosco
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/western-canada/50762-costco-coupons-out.html
Or there is another deal
http://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php
or
http://www.skircr.com/loyalty_cards/
for Kicking horse and other far flung mountains.

But its another three weeks before I go so I'll be praying for huge amounts of snow now ...
And sunshine every day after that.

The plan is to take the skidoos out into the back boonies and go ice fishing as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy